FTU or Flight University/College?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

FTU or Flight University/College?

Post by shawnthesheep »

Hey Everyone, I got an opportunity to finish my licenses at a private FTU that is really good in my area. If I take this route it gives me the ability to finish everything (CPL, Multi IFR) in about 4-8 months as I already have my PPL. How valuable is post secondary in our industry right now. I'm stuck and basically in a mid life crisis thinking about what I should do.

Choice 1: Finish my CPL and Multi-IFR at a FTU
Choice 2: Go to a flight university (MRU or Conestoga)
Choice 3: Finish at FTU and then do post secondary?

Edit: I'm in Grade 12 currently which would mean I would have my CPL almost right after graduation.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: FTU or Flight University/College?

Post by Bede »

shawnthesheep wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 am Hey Everyone, I got an opportunity to finish my licenses at a private FTU that is really good in my area. If I take this route it gives me the ability to finish everything (CPL, Multi IFR) in about 4-8 months as I already have my PPL. How valuable is post secondary in our industry right now. I'm stuck and basically in a mid life crisis thinking about what I should do.

Choice 1: Finish my CPL and Multi-IFR at a FTU
Choice 2: Go to a flight university (MRU or Conestoga)
Choice 3: Finish at FTU and then do post secondary?

Edit: I'm in Grade 12 currently which would mean I would have my CPL almost right after graduation.
You're in grade 12 and having a midlife crisis?? :)

I think that Conestoga is a waste of money IMO. It just means that you couldn't get in to the aviation colleges. I'd finish ASAP, get a job and then plug away at post secondary if that's what you want to do. Post secondary does help get jobs at all levels; the question is whether you should delay your career by 2 years.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

If you already have a PPL and have the means to get your CPL I would get it at your local FTU while you finish high school or just after. If you want post secondary education do it, but I would not go to an aviation course.

If you do post secondary schooling try to find a seasonal job so you can get industry/flying experience while attending college/university.

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Flight universities are a waste of time in my opinion. Get it done at your local FTU and get flying right away, and then plug away at a degree online/part time if that's what you want. The degree really only matters when you start applying at AC, maybe the regionals.

edit: I'm a guy who got suckered in to a flight university...

Return to “Flight Training”