Non ytz bases

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Non ytz bases

Post by C-GGGQ »

What are the other bases like to work out of? You hear a lot about what the Toronto guys do, but less so about Ottawa or Halifax etc. Are some bases more senior? Which do you think gets the better pairings?
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Non ytz bases

Post by Cessna 180 »

YTZ and YQT have the best progression currently. They're both junior enough, YQT especially. You could possibly hold a captain spot out of indoc if that was something you'd be interested in/qualified.

YOW and YHZ are both super senior, expect a long time on reserve and a long time for an upgrade.

With the way they've changed things up, you can't upgrade in YTZ for example, and they swap bases once another spot comes up. They bids for bases go to in base FOs first (or something like that).

Unless you really really want to live in HZ or OW and don't want to commute, you'd be best off taking a YTZ base or YQT. The best pairings are in YTZ anyways.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

With the way they've changed things up, you can't upgrade in YTZ for example, and they swap bases once another spot comes up. They bids for bases go to in base FOs first (or something like that).
Not quite, in outstations the Captain Upgrade bids alternate from "within station", to "Company wide"; all determined on seniority.

So, if a Captain spot was to open up in YHZ for example, Porter would look at where the rotation is at.

If it's within station, then the most senior FO who bids it, would get the chance to upgrade. If there isn't any bidders from within, then it would be opened up company wide.

Now for the second option. If it's the company wide, then any one can apply, and whoever has the most seniority would get the position. In essence, a YTZ Captain could bid for a transfer, but if an FO in YHZ has seniority, then the FO would get the spot. The Captain would then have to wait 2 more rotations, when it's company wide to try again.

As for seniority, I agree that YOW and YHZ are senior bases. The most junior Captains in both bases have at least 3 years in with the company. YTZ is upgrading on average around the 12-18 month mark based on meeting the experience/upgrade interview matrix.

YQT has had some upgrade within 6 months. Those FO's were high timed skippers in the 703-704 world that made the transition fairly easily.

You can commute out of YQG, YUL, and YOW with Porter and make it work from that end; but in all honesty the commuting policy isn't that great. It's similar to Jazz/Encore (2 flight before with at least an hour before report). Make sure that you have lots of patience, time, and backup plans if things go sideways. I know of at least 4 pilots out of YOW, 2 in YUL, and 1 in YQG that are travelling in/out for work.

Pairing selection will always be better out of YTZ. Simply more flight in/out based on the hub and spoke model. Plus YOW base is 15 per position, YHZ is 18, and YQT 7 (although looking to increase to 20 by the end of the year). YTZ has about 120 per.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Good to know. Family is mostly in NB so though yhz would be a good option for being close, but I suppose I might as well pick NB and commute in to ytz when the time comes.

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

Maybe it's a silly question... but anyway... How FO's or even Cpt's afford to live in TO, especially close to YTZ? I'd love to apply for Porter, but I'm really scared about TO housing prices. (I know YHZ/YOW are senior bases and wife not willing to move to YQT, so YTZ would be the only option)
Any inputs are appreciated, thanks!

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

Are you looking to buy a place or rent? Toronto is not for everyone, some people just cant handle city life living in a small condo...so just ask yourself if you can do it first? For me i grow up in a big city just like Toronto so i don't mind paying the same money for a condo rather than a big house in place like YQT. First you have to accept that a 500 ft/sq condo is worth about $300,000 or $1700 rent per month. For me it's worth it, but i know for many people are not. I used to work up at north, so i know i can't stand that type of life style even i know that a 3000ft/sq house is cheaper than my condo in Toronto, and i just don't care.

So the question is, are you willing to accept this?
igorcanuck wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:40 pm Maybe it's a silly question... but anyway... How FO's or even Cpt's afford to live in TO, especially close to YTZ? I'd love to apply for Porter, but I'm really scared about TO housing prices. (I know YHZ/YOW are senior bases and wife not willing to move to YQT, so YTZ would be the only option)

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

smooth wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:05 pm Are you looking to buy a place or rent? Toronto is not for everyone, some people just cant handle city life living in a small condo...so just ask yourself if you can do it first? For me i grow up in a big city just like Toronto so i don't mind paying the same money for a condo rather than a big house in place like YQT. First you have to accept that a 500 ft/sq condo is worth about $300,000 or $1700 rent per month. For me it's worth it, but i know for many people are not. I used to work up at north, so i know i can't stand that type of life style even i know that a 3000ft/sq house is cheaper than my condo in Toronto, and i just don't care.

igorcanuck wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:40 pm Maybe it's a silly question... but anyway... How FO's or even Cpt's afford to live in TO, especially close to YTZ? I'd love to apply for Porter, but I'm really scared about TO housing prices. (I know YHZ/YOW are senior bases and wife not willing to move to YQT, so YTZ would be the only option)
Any tips where is better to live to get faster to YTZ? Which option is better to get there, bus, car, subway, train?
Thanks in advance, again!

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

igorcanuck wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:33 pm
smooth wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:05 pm Are you looking to buy a place or rent? Toronto is not for everyone, some people just cant handle city life living in a small condo...so just ask yourself if you can do it first? For me i grow up in a big city just like Toronto so i don't mind paying the same money for a condo rather than a big house in place like YQT. First you have to accept that a 500 ft/sq condo is worth about $300,000 or $1700 rent per month. For me it's worth it, but i know for many people are not. I used to work up at north, so i know i can't stand that type of life style even i know that a 3000ft/sq house is cheaper than my condo in Toronto, and i just don't care.

Any tips where is better to live to get faster to YTZ? Which option is better to get there, bus, car, subway, train?
Thanks in advance, again!
Buy a house in Peterborough or Lindsay and with the money you saved buy a used Cirrus SR-22 with TKS anti-ice and commute to the island in your plane. STOL port is what $20/day for parking?

MooneyPit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MooneyPit »

How difficult is it to jumpseat with AC? Any Porter pilots commute from the States?

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

MooneyPit wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:28 am How difficult is it to jumpseat with AC? Any Porter pilots commute from the States?
It's as easy as most airlines, Myidtravel. Porter doesn't authorize commuting except on their own metal to a few select destinations. None of them are in the US.

If you have the right to live and work in the US, you're better off just working for a regional there. Porter is a great place to work, but not for 1/3 of the pay of most regionals in the US.

Return to “Porter Airlines”