Edmonton Airport Site Sits Empty

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Edmonton Airport Site Sits Empty

Post by RatherBeFlying »

---------- ADS -----------

Hipster Exterminator
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Edmonton Airport Site Sits Empty

Post by Hipster Exterminator »

There needs to be a way to hold elected decision makers personally responsible for acts of severe negligence and garnish their income for life.

I am just loving watching Mandel flail these days as he is once again shown to be an incompetent buffoon.

YXD: Never Forgive, Never Forget.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Good thing Alberta Health has that massive new facility at YEG. People would probably die taking as long to get from Leduc to Edmonton as they did from BFN to YEG.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:28 pm Good thing Alberta Health has that massive new facility at YEG. People would probably die taking as long to get from Leduc to Edmonton as they did from BFN to YEG.
if its that bad they can send out STARS to take them to the U of A... most flights down are appointments and hang nails really.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Oh, I know that. Still... waste of time and resources.

Avrocanada
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avrocanada »

Cessna 180 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:59 am
iflyforpie wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:28 pm Good thing Alberta Health has that massive new facility at YEG. People would probably die taking as long to get from Leduc to Edmonton as they did from BFN to YEG.
if its that bad they can send out STARS to take them to the U of A... most flights down are appointments and hang nails really.
I've seen tons of reds have to be transported by ground due to Stars not being "able" to do the trip. If there photographer has the day off, or a cloud in the sky, they won't be flying.

25 mins to the U of A with no traffic vs 3 mins to the Royal Alex

Long live the muni.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Avrocanada wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:17 am
Cessna 180 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:59 am
I've seen tons of reds have to be transported by ground due to Stars not being "able" to do the trip. If there photographer has the day off, or a cloud in the sky, they won't be flying.

25 mins to the U of A with no traffic vs 3 mins to the Royal Alex

Long live the muni.
you're not wrong about STARS, but I've yet to hear about a patient dying (including pediatrics to the stollery) because of the drive.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I'm all for politicians being held responsible for their financial blunders.

Too bad our memories seem to be so short when it comes time to vote..

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

I think the truth is the City took on an environmental nightmare. The cost of reclaiming the land out weighs any value for the land.

DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

Cost of land reclamation too high? Perhaps Edmonton Airports could develop the land into a downtown airport?
Sarcasm doesn't work well on forums.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Probably one of the single worst decisions the City of Edmonton ever made; worked out great for Villeneuve, drove out a lot of business and jobs from the City

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Mick G wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 pm Probably one of the single worst decisions the City of Edmonton ever made; worked out great for Villeneuve, drove out a lot of business and jobs from the City
Was it though?

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/columni ... al-airport

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Donald wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:46 pm [quote="Mick G" post_id=<a href="tel:1069669">1069669</a> time=<a href="tel:1550546324">1550546324</a> user_id=48850]
Probably one of the single worst decisions the City of Edmonton ever made; worked out great for Villeneuve, drove out a lot of business and jobs from the City
Was it though?

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/columni ... al-airport
[/quote]

No. The worst decision was building YEG in the first place.

It was to Edmonton what YMX was to Montreal. It killed aviation and business as airlines would rather serve Toronto and Calgary than these cities with airports in the middle of nowhere and corporations wanted their headquarters near well serviced airports.

Montreal realized their mistake and typical of anyone who didn’t actually pay for their stuff they abandoned it and tucked tail back to Dorval.

Edmonton was stuck with its white elephant. And finally doubled down on its poor decision by leaving no alternatives.

Of course business is booming. In spite of the yellow vest high school dropouts kiyiying that their GED won’t make them six figures anymore the economy everywhere is doing quite well. Most of the airport “business” is the same light industrial and big box sprawl you see anywhere in Alberta where ranchers are cashing out and developers are cashing in. 8 million passengers? Not even half of what passes through YYC. And how many of those are simply rotational crews going to and fro and politicians going on fact finding missions to the tropics?

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

That linked article is more a "rah,rah" booster article than well researched business info, IMHO.

Below is a Stats Can sourced list of air traffic. Edmonton International isn't do any better than any other airport in Canada, at least since 2010. And City Centre closed in 2013 with no significant effect on EIA traffic at all.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 13.32.03.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 13.32.03.png (176.46 KiB) Viewed 1681 times

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain

Return to “General Comments”