Wil Jazz hire with instructing time only?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Maple_30
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Wil Jazz hire with instructing time only?

Post by Maple_30 »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:55 am
Aviatard wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:51 am
HansDietrich wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:22 am you're nothing but an inexperienced arrogant piece of sh*t
Only experienced arrogant pieces of sh*t need apply then?
If I'd have it my way, and worked for Jazz HR, every resume with "Instructor Time" only would automatically go to the garbage; not even the shredder. It's not worth the electricity wasted. Seneca graduates are miles ahead of these individuals; experience and attitude.
I usually never post here - but seeing this kind of comment is simply disgusting.
How could you say that every individual who instructed is a piece of s***? :shock:
Like do you know personally every flight instructor in Canada?
Literally, who do you think you are to judge somebody because of a line on a resume?

I am a flight instructor and I definetely agree with the fact that instructing hours are NOT real-world experience. But it still is time spent in an airplane with decision-making that has to be done most of the time. Some flight instructors can be very arrogant with the sh*ttiest attiude ever, I agree with that, like any pilot, but I also know PLENTY of flight instructors that are outstanding pilots with a great attitude. Judging somebody based on the fact that he/she was a flight instructor without knowing that person is simply a joke, and I honestly wouldn't even take anything seriously from a person who thinks that. Like, wow ...

Good thing you're not an HR person!
---------- ADS -----------

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Maple_30 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am

If I'd have it my way, and worked for Jazz HR, every resume with "Instructor Time" only would automatically go to the garbage; not even the shredder. It's not worth the electricity wasted. Seneca graduates are miles ahead of these individuals; experience and attitude.
I usually never post here - but seeing this kind of comment is simply disgusting.
How could you say that every individual who instructed is a piece of s***? :shock:
Literally, who do you think you are to judge somebody because of a line on a resume?

I am a flight instructor and I definetely agree with the fact that instructing hours are NOT real-world experience. But it still is time spent in an airplane with decision-making that has to be done most of the time. Some flight instructors can be very arrogant with the sh*ttiest attiude ever, I agree with that, like any pilot, but I also know PLENTY of flight instructors that are outstanding pilots with a great attitude. Judging somebody based on the fact that he/she was a flight instructor without knowing that person is simply a joke, and I honestly wouldn't even take anything seriously from a person who thinks that. Like, wow ...

It is disgusting. Indeed my comment is not nice, however please quote me where I said "Every instructor is a piece of ______". I've never said that. You're twisting my comments.

It's my personal experience, the MAJORITY of instructors I've flown with were arrogant individuals that presume they're above everyone else. I'm not sure where this type of character develops, but from the many I've met, these were the ones that

1. Thought were "too good" to throw bags up North or have a job that's "beneath them".
2. They somehow have superior knowledge to the rest of us.
3. Instructed just to get hours, very few giving an actual **** about their students.
4. Somehow got their ATPL flying VFR circuits... (That still boggles my mind, but that's something that TC needs to change)

So yes, as a general rule, I would not hire instructors. It's too much of a risk. I'd even dare say in the high 80s (percentile) of individuals that I'd never work with.

Last edited by HansDietrich on Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Das ist mir wurst...
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Really sticking to your guns hey? Are you trying to make enemies with everyone on this site? Seems like you’re a regular poster who knows better than any pilot or manager out there. You’re sure opinionated!

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

Maple_30 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am

Dont worry man, Hans is just one of those people who is miserable about absolutely everything. He also cant quite seem to let go of a company he swears up and down he hates. Get on with your life. If the instructors want to be at jazz let them be at jazz. They'll certainly appreciate it unlike some people.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

mixturerich wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm Really sticking to your guns hey? Are you trying to make enemies with everyone on this site? Seems like you’re a regular poster who knows better than any pilot or manager out there. You’re sure opinionated!
Dunning-Kruger maybe? ;)

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

I have to agree with this point. TC should make something more respectful and challenging out of the A’s.
HansDietrich wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:18 am
4. Somehow got their ATPL flying VFR circuits... (That still boggles my mind, but that's something that TC needs to change)

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

mixturerich wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm Really sticking to your guns hey? Are you trying to make enemies with everyone on this site? Seems like you’re a regular poster who knows better than any pilot or manager out there. You’re sure opinionated!
Nah, not really. I'm not trying to make enemies. I'm just a little rough around the edges. I say what a lot of people think, but my English is not good enough to be "delicate" and "Canadian" about it. I have lots of faults. I'm certainly no prize myself.

The management at airlines don't give a rat's arse about the quality of pilots. They just want the ones that are YES men (and women) and sign cheap contracts. I don't think that's a secret.

Also, having worked at a "certain" company before, and gotten e-mails from "certain" managers about "why flight X Y or Z was late", when we clearly sent those messages via ACARs just tells you the "quality" of managers there. You know what I'm talking about.

Das ist mir wurst...
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

yhz41 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:20 pm Dont worry man, Hans is just one of those people who is miserable about absolutely everything.
True. (everything aviation related)
yhz41 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:20 pm He also cant quite seem to let go of a company he swears up and down he hates. Get on with your life.
False. I don't hate Jazz. I never did. If I were 22, living in my parents' basement, flying an RJ and posting pics on social media I would have loved it. You are correct in the fact that I should probably stop posting on this forum. Even I'm getting tired of it.
yhz41 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:20 pm If the instructors want to be at jazz let them be at jazz. They'll certainly appreciate it unlike some people.
Of course they want to be. Compared to instructing, Jazz is amazing.

Das ist mir wurst...
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:30 pm False. If I were 22, living in my parents' basement, flying an RJ and posting pics on social media I would have loved it.
At least you can admit that! It is a pretty sweet life compared to your average 22 year old. Flying planes is fun.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:22 pm
The management at airlines don't give a rat's arse about the quality of pilots. They just want the ones that are YES men (and women) and sign cheap contracts. I don't think that's a secret.

Also, having worked at a "certain" company before, and gotten e-mails from "certain" managers about "why flight X Y or Z was late", when we clearly sent those messages via ACARs just tells you the "quality" of managers there. You know what I'm talking about.
This is one of the most arrogant and misinformed posts I’ve read here. How long did you work at Jazz?

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

500 TT, 200 of that is northern Navajo Chieftain time. Would they hire someone with this amount of time and no turbine experience and not from a pathways school?

Cheers!

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Nevermind if they are hiring with those numbers.

Apply, that is the only thing to do and update your profile every 100hrs. They will call you in due time.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I never found instructors to be as bad as claimed in this thread.

I find they typically start out as awful as a 250hr wonder, but learn faster, and develop decision making abilities faster.

As for being arrogant, maybe it's a different training program. Does Jazz coddle their pilots and say "don't worry, we'll give you an extra $1000 sim session if you suck"? The training programs I'm used to put the onus on the candidate to learn. Its humbling to anybody to have helmit fire and realize that something is well beyond their knowledge and abilities. They quickly learn to stop bragging about their ATPL, and put 110% effort into learning what they thought they already knew.

Once on the line, instructors learn faster, and yes, eventually turn into better training captains.

stayls
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stayls »

Saying things like instructors bad or GGN pilots are not sufficient or 250 kids from college are bad is just funny.

Cause military pilots used to do that for non-military pilots. looks like this is the new trend.

I am sure everyone has a different story and had struggled on different paths but it looks like who ever goes up forgets where and how they started. :|

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

It's mostly jealousy, Subconscious or otherwise. "My way sucked way harder and at the time I had it way worse. No way these guys should get it easy" We're all guilty in one form or another.

stayls
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stayls »

C-GGGQ wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:22 am It's mostly jealousy, Subconscious or otherwise. "My way sucked way harder and at the time I had it way worse. No way these guys should get it easy" We're all guilty in one form or another.
+1

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I mean I have a friend who went to the Philippines. Paid $30k for an A320 Type rating straight out of school. Now is hired at Air Asia. My wife asks why I don't do it. I say its because paying for the rating is cheating. Cause that's what we say in Canada. Truth is if I was still 20.... That's the equivalent of 1 year of U of T Law. With a Guaranteed job on the other side... in a country with my inlaws.. yeah I can't afford 30k more in debt and a 3-4 month course without work and then 3-4 months selection/ waiting for groundschool to pay that loan back... but I'd be a filthy liar if I said I'd NEVER do it.

FlackoJodye
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlackoJodye »

Good day,

All the judgement and hate against instructors aside, I would like to know the current updates on this topic?
What are the chances of applying as a 1000TT instructor? If accepted, is there a choice between flying the RJ vs Q400 or do low time pilots start at Q400 and upgrade? Or you just have no choice and they put you wherever?
Looking to move on from instructing soon and beginning to explore my options.

Appreciate all the answers. Don’t hesitate to PM as well, I would like more info since I’m very interested with Jazz. Thanks!

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

FlackoJodye wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 am Good day,

All the judgement and hate against instructors aside, I would like to know the current updates on this topic?
What are the chances of applying as a 1000TT instructor? If accepted, is there a choice between flying the RJ vs Q400 or do low time pilots start at Q400 and upgrade? Or you just have no choice and they put you wherever?

Appreciate all the answers. Don’t hesitate to PM as well, I would like more info since I’m very interested with Jazz. Thanks!
Current hiring requirements are 1000TT with 250 multi. Jazz also prefers candidates with 703/704 operational experience. However total time is total time, can’t lose anything by applying.

As for your question about aircraft type and bases; this is all decided on day 2 of ground school and you will get to pick based on a variety of positions available to the class, based on the seniority number you draw. So, a 250 hour Jazz APP hire might get the RJ, a 5000 hour MEDEVAC driver might get a classic. It can go either way.

Qcumber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Qcumber »

FlackoJodye wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 am Good day,

The hiring qualifications on their website are 750 TT and 100 multi. I think with 1000 hours of instructing and some multi to go with it you would have a pretty good shot.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”