SWOOP - A New Hires Future

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: SWOOP - A New Hires Future

Post by Rowdy »

So thats why they 'blended' our scale so quickly. Instead of being forced to revert to the A scale.
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Swoop and mainline WJ are not similar working conditions. WJ has better pay AND working conditions. :lol:

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

(c) the quantity or quality of each employee’s production; or

I’m not a lawyer but I saw one on TV once, pretty sure they could argue the employees production and quality is reduced at Swoop.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Not trying to start anything, but today someone told me that there's only currently a 10% flow from Encore to WS. Is that real? 90% OTS hiring?

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

co-joe wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 pm Not trying to start anything, but today someone told me that there's only currently a 10% flow from Encore to WS. Is that real? 90% OTS hiring?
Not correct. Currently flow is minimum 50% for the duration of the contract (not specific GS classes). I don't know the specifics of where things stand, but the company has been quite good at having 50% or more of new WS ground schools filled with Encore pilots including a few recent classes that were 100% Encore pilots.

Lots of unknowns in the future and lots of room for improvement, but that statement isn't correct.

tkdowell
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tkdowell »

JBI wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:15 pm
co-joe wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 pm Not trying to start anything, but today someone told me that there's only currently a 10% flow from Encore to WS. Is that real? 90% OTS hiring?
Not correct. Currently flow is minimum 50% for the duration of the contract (not specific GS classes). I don't know the specifics of where things stand, but the company has been quite good at having 50% or more of new WS ground schools filled with Encore pilots including a few recent classes that were 100% Encore pilots.

Lots of unknowns in the future and lots of room for improvement, but that statement isn't correct.
The last class had 70% from Encore

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

tkdowell wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:33 am
JBI wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:15 pm

The last class had 70% from Encore
Now there is also “back-flow” from Swoop. All the pilots that bid out are transitioning back to WJ. As mentioned Encore is given 50% or more spots on an contractual basis. So with the Encore and Swoop flow on the go I’d say there will be very little OTS for mainline. I would say most OTS will be for Swoop for the next year and a bit.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Good luck. I hope to see many swoop planes holding down the pavement due to lack of pilots while WJ aircraft and crews operate the flights.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

A couple nights ago I heard a pilot correct himself after saying empress instead of swoop a couple times and then after landing I saw a Canadian North airplane at a gate. Is Canadian north doing uplift for swoop?

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

ant_321 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:38 am A couple nights ago I heard a pilot correct himself after saying empress instead of swoop a couple times and then after landing I saw a Canadian North airplane at a gate. Is Canadian north doing uplift for swoop?
Swoop had to charter Canadian North because nobody would pick up OT in irrops. Can’t say I blame swoop pilots for not picking up, it hardly seems worth it. Maybe swoop management should get more money for those pilots.

On a side note, Encore had to break their own requirements to flow pilots to swoop. Current requirements are 1 year from initial line indoc at Encore. Nobody wants to go there, so the company is desperate.

AtlanticTour
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AtlanticTour »

For informational purposes, on the last WestJet system-wide bid, which Swoop pilots were eligible to bid on, 50- of the 58 current Swoop pilots bid to go back to WestJet. And the company only awarded 3 WestJet openings to Swoop pilots, all of whom were very senior pilots within the combined WJ / Swoop list.

Those statistics should tell you everything you need to know about Swoop. Would the last person off a pink airplane please turn out the light!

Atlantic Tour

PS: The following Canadian B737 / Airbus 320 / B757-767 operators pay more than Swoop, have better work rules, better retirement, and are actively hiring:

Air Canada
Air Transat
Canadian North
First Air
Flair Air
Sunwing
CargoJet

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Assuming seniority allows, can management deny the bids for operational reasons?

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

I think it's pretty clear that WJ management does whatever they want.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

The Swoop bid closed on the 14th!

Alpa Male
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alpa Male »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 am Assuming seniority allows, can management deny the bids for operational reasons?

According to the new CBA, Swoop pilots are subject to a 24-month position freeze. No one was denied anything. Those three early releases had to be negotiated, like everything now.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Or get 500hrs of 737 time to go overseas to make five times as much money. swoop can be the training academy for "Expat Air". Might as well buy another sim and paint it pink, because the turnover could be less than a year.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

we've talked a lot about how shitty Captain pay is at swoop, but what is the FO pay? It can't be THAT much lower than mainline/ AC year 1 can it?

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

C-GGGQ wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm we've talked a lot about how shitty Captain pay is at swoop, but what is the FO pay? It can't be THAT much lower than mainline/ AC year 1 can it?
Swoop
1 - $56.39/h $4.48 less than WJ / $2.29 less than AC
2 - $70.32/h $4.35 more than WJ / $5.94 more than AC
3 - $77.35/h $5.28 less than WJ / $3.98 more than AC

Year 4 does not exist for Swoop. Both AC ($82.16)/WJ ($89.99) outpace Swoop at that point.

Last edited by tps8903 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “WestJet”