Advice on route across Northern Canada in late July

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

QDMQDMQDM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Advice on route across Northern Canada in late July

Post by QDMQDMQDM »

Hi all,

I need to get from Alaska to Oshkosh, leaving Alaska about 17/18 July, in my C185 with Flint tip tanks and about 1200NM range. What is my likelihood of getting stuck for bad weather for days and days and days at that time of year, bearing in mind options are few in that area and you need to be sure before you set off of adequate weather to make your destination? I'll be VFR.

Dawson-Inuvik-Norman Wells-Yellowknife-Stony Lake-Flin Flon

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=cyda-cyev- ... cyfo&DU=nm

Cheers,

David
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Advice on route across Northern Canada in late July

Post by digits_ »

Not sure about the Alaska part, but the other part of your trip should be fairly easy weatherwise. You'll probably have thunderstorms in the afternoon/evenings, but you can see those develop, and obviously don't fly through them. Other than that, july is a pretty good weather month.

That being said, you can always get stuck, especially VFR, so don't rush. Also think about tracking in case you go down, so people can find you. It is pretty remote terrain, even in a warm july month.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
QDMQDMQDM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by QDMQDMQDM »

Thanks. Carry a Delorme Inreach and satphone with a satphone aerial on the aircraft and a PLB on every person in the aircraft. Also an HF, though don't know how useful that would be.

Got any good weather sites for up there?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

You should be ok in July but as others have said, have a contingency plan in case you need to put ‘er down on the tundra somewhere. Assuming you land nicely and have an ELT which can be relied upon, take enough rations for a couple days, some water, and some form of shelter. I flew up north for many years and your route is mostly below the tree line, but still warrants some special preparation “just in case.”

Not trying to rain on your parade, but it’s far better to have shit and not need it, than, well.. You never know when that fan in front of you may suddenly stop spinning.

DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

OBTAIN A CANADA FLIGHT SUPPLEMENT (C.F.S.) http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-and ... ement.aspx

GET A WEATHER BRIEFING AND FILE A TRANS BORDER FLIGHT PLAN. IT IS MANDATORY. INFORM CANADA BORDER SERVICES AGENCY (C.B.S.A) OF YOUR E.T.A. AND AIRPORT OF ENTRY. OPEN YOUR FLIGHT PLAN WITH F.S.S. UPON DEPARTURE. ENSURE YOUR FLIGHT PLAN IS ACTIVATED PRIOR TO CROSSING THE BORDER. Personally, I would follow the ALCAN Highway go to Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY) to clear customs and get an in-person weather briefing through NAVCANADA's pre-flight weather briefers. FILE A FLIGHT PLAN to Watson Lake (CYQH) and onward to Fort Nelson (CYYE). From Ft. Nelson (CYYE) file to either Dawson Creek (CYDQ) or GPS direct to Fort McMurray (CYMM). From Fort McMurray file to Prince Albert (CYPA) Be careful to navigate around the Restricted Cold Lake/Primrose Lake Military Firing Range. From Prince Albert (CYPA) file to Winnipeg/St. Andrews (CYAV). FILE A TRANS BORDER FLIGHT PLAN TO DULUTH OR OSHKOSH AND NOTIFY U.S.A. BORDER SERVICES YOU ARE COMING. OPEN YOUR FLIGHT PLAN. GET A SQUAWK CODE PRIOR TO CROSSING THE BORDER. CLOSE YOUR FLIGHT PLAN UPON ARRIVAL IN THE GOOD OLD U.S.A.

Carry some Canadian coin for vending machines. Canada doesn't issue the 1-cent penny coin anymore. Your dollar is worth 1.31 Canadian. One litre of AVGAS is equal to 33 U.S. fluid ounces, or basically one (1) quart. 3.78 litres equals one (1) U.S. gallon.

Always OPEN and CLOSE your flight plans. Call the appropriate air traffic authority ON THE CORRECT FREQUENCY at least 10 minutes prior to arrival.

Contrary to myth, VFR AT NIGHT IS ALLOWED IN CANADA.

DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

Same route but with 140 knot speed results:
http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=cyda-cyxy-c ... 140&SU=kts

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

The further South you fly in Canada - the more options you have.

More airports/more facilities and cheaper prices. Plus you will most likely get a better/stronger tailwind component.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
QDMQDMQDM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by QDMQDMQDM »

Thanks. I fancy the Northern route.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Avgas is becoming more scarce in Canada. Keep that in mind and make sure where you're going to be stopping actually has some.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:33 pm You should be ok in July but as others have said, have a contingency plan in case you need to put ‘er down on the tundra somewhere. Assuming you land nicely and have an ELT which can be relied upon, take enough rations for a couple days, some water, and some form of shelter.
Insect netting and bug spray, too.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Where are you departing from in Alaska? I presume you are on wheels. Anyways set up an account with DHS and file an eAPIS and a flight plan for a customs stop. Also phone the customs station before your departure. I would clear customs at Whitehorse. Then follow the Alaska Hwy to Fort St. John BC CYXJ)). Next leg I would go to Saskatoon SK (CYXE), then St. Andrews MB (CYAV). File another eAPIS and a flight plan and clear US customs at International Falls MN (KINL) Then you could go non stop KOSH in about 3 hours. Or land short of KOSH and study the arrival procedures before heading to the entry waypoint of your choice. Piece of cake. Northbound out of KOSH you could clear Canadian customs at Ft. Frances, ON. You have plenty of range so will have lots of options for airports both ways.
Another option for customs on the Manitoba-Minnesota Border is Piney-Pinecreek. Canadian and US customs on the airport. Single runway, no fuel, hours of operation may be changing but very convenient. Going home you could also fly westward from KOSH and stay in the US until western Montana. Then clear Canadian customs somewhere south of Calgary AB. Stay in the lee of the Rockies and head for Ft. St.John BC.

AP

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I personally would clear in Whitehorse and with a 1200 mile range, fly to Grande Prairie, Lloydminster, Etevan, clear in Minot, and then the worlds you're oyster from there. A southern route guarantees cheaper and available Avgas, more population, easier SAR, hotels, etc. There's plently of other routes to go as well that don't touch the northern limits. You have to think about the ADIZ since you will be flying in it for a portion of your flight if you go to Inuvik.

This is with a hypothetical departure point of Anchorage.

QDMQDMQDM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by QDMQDMQDM »

Thanks, what's the ADIZ around Inuvik?

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

I did once read of a pilot flying the Alaska highway who, if the next pass was in cloud, would land on the highway and taxi over the pass until out of cloud.

Taxiing over a pass puts a lot of trust in the competence of drivers - YMMV.

I do remember one spray plane parked at a pullout in Northern Ontario.

If you do have a problem, better to have it where you can get help.

Cadismack
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cadismack »

I fly a bo out of YZF and been up to Inuvik and Tuk a couple of times. From Alaska you are likely well equiped and all set. Yes airports are sparce but generally July is the best time of year to go. Both my trips have been August which has meant a few dreary days in Inuvik but have the time to spare and enjoy. Cruising the delta at 1500 is amazing and the pingos around tuk, we’ll wait till you see it.

I’ve also done YZF to Osh a couple times too and besides your typically prairie boomers it’s a long but relatively easy trip. Have fun!

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca is where you will find all the weather resources for canada.

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

+1 on the bug spray and head nets, but you probably already knew that.

I presume you're on wheels. Floats do make the trip safer and more fun.

I've done eastern Canada to western Nunavut a couple of times. July is probably the best month for the northern route. Thunderstorms are about the only thing that might keep you grounded.

Oh …. and SMOKE.

QDMQDMQDM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by QDMQDMQDM »

Thanks, yes, smoke. Was a big problem last year.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

With 1200 nm range you could easily skip Inuvik and the Wells and bomb straight for YZF, unless you have a burning desire to go to those places. Either way, as has been mentioned, with the exception of late afternoon/ evening build ups July is usually good weather in that area. Sounds like a fun trip.

Return to “General Comments”