Hiring outlook

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ap3hause
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by ap3hause »

proflight wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:34 pm Seems like Encore slowed down the hiring process. Has anybody gotten called or offered a job since January? I applied December and still showing in process..
The same situation here. Still in progress. Been in progress for a while now.
---------- ADS -----------

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

ap3hause wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 am
proflight wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:34 pm Seems like Encore slowed down the hiring process. Has anybody gotten called or offered a job since January? I applied December and still showing in process..
They’re still interviewing though. My buddy’s heading to calgary next week to interview.

ap3hause
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ap3hause »

Yieldermatik wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 am
They’re still interviewing though. My buddy’s heading to calgary next week to interview.
Any idea when he sent in his application? Thank you

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

ap3hause wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am
Yieldermatik wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 am
Any idea when he sent in his application? Thank you
I believe it was last month. Definitely not December.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

RatMan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:42 pm Anybody have insight as to when WJE will turn the training taps back on?
No ground schools for Feb/Mar. Hiring likely to get going again in April.

Last year was 10 pilots every 2 weeks or so. Not sure if that is going to stay the new standard. You can pretty much bank on at least 10 people a month.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

tps8903 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:00 pm
RatMan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:42 pm Anybody have insight as to when WJE will turn the training taps back on?
No ground schools for Feb/Mar. Hiring likely to get going again in April.

Last year was 10 pilots every 2 weeks or so. Not sure if that is going to stay the new standard. You can pretty much bank on at least 10 people a month.
You can’t really bank on anything in this day and age. Also, hiring will most probably be for YYZ for the forseaable, since YYC has a good amount of staff for right now. All captain spots for right now for upgrades are only in yyz. If you want yvr or YYC, consider jazz. Their new agreement is pretty decent and a very good long term plan, even if it’s just a stepping stone to AC. If you don’t care about commuting to yyz (we have one of the best commuter policies in North America), consider skipping encore and going straight to mainline. Better pairings, and better pay, and you get to skip the regional turmoil and go straight to a mainline. 💯 times better an option.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

How come I always here Encore is screaming for pilots, yet they dont have any classes right now?

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

+1

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

My best guess is there is a glut of FOs they are waiting to meet the matrix for upgrade. Captains are in short supply and they are the ones flowing to mainline as well. I’m surprised they aren’t hiring more DECs (though maybe there are none left).

ZoomZoom147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ZoomZoom147 »

MrTurbine wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:09 pm
Hangry wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:45 pm
MrTurbine wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:22 pm

Lots of growth for YVR planned at AC this year. With your time, look into it. Or mainline WJ. You’ll wait a few years before you can hold YVR base because you’ll be at BOTL.

Good luck.

Lol. A few years. AC will have you YVR within a year. WJ would be easily upwards of a decade.
Lol. Honestly tho, 6 years or so for YVR base as of today for WJ
MrTurbine,

If one were to arrive on the property today for a mainline YYZ position, how long roughly would it take to get to YYC? Any insight is helpful. Thanks,

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

ZoomZoom147 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:03 am
MrTurbine,

If one were to arrive on the property today for a mainline YYZ position, how long roughly would it take to get to YYC? Any insight is helpful. Thanks,
The lowest seniority YYC 737 FO is an early 2017 hire. It's very tough to predict how long a new mainline hire could expect to be waiting for YYC at this time. Reducing times is the fact that the 787 growth is starting in YYC, the new flight duty regs and the introduction in reserve for the mainline fleet. On the other hand, there are a significant number of Encore pilots in YYZ who have flowed but want YYC or currently at Encore in YYC and are waiting to flow until they have a better chance of holding YYC. So, generally speaking, they'll have higher seniority on YYC than new OTS mainline pilots.

So, while you have a better chance of getting YYC with WJ over AC (considering AC doesn't have a base), plan on a few years in YYZ.

ZoomZoom147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ZoomZoom147 »

JBI wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:47 am
ZoomZoom147 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:03 am
MrTurbine,

The lowest seniority YYC 737 FO is an early 2017 hire. It's very tough to predict how long a new mainline hire could expect to be waiting for YYC at this time. Reducing times is the fact that the 787 growth is starting in YYC, the new flight duty regs and the introduction in reserve for the mainline fleet. On the other hand, there are a significant number of Encore pilots in YYZ who have flowed but want YYC or currently at Encore in YYC and are waiting to flow until they have a better chance of holding YYC. So, generally speaking, they'll have higher seniority on YYC than new OTS mainline pilots.

So, while you have a better chance of getting YYC with WJ over AC (considering AC doesn't have a base), plan on a few years in YYZ.
Thanks JBI, that was very informative. As someone new to the civilian industry, I'm trying to learn how it works....

Could you please touch on how pairings work. IE: What kind of pairings would be available for WJ mainline, what pairings would be the best to obtain if you were commuting from YYC to YYZ (least amount of commuting per month), and what the likelihood of obtaining those pairings would be? Thanks again!

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

If I’m understanding correctly, if someone wants yyz it’s the easiest thing in encore/wj.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

If you want any sort of life outside of work - I would avoid Encore entirely. The guys that left there have ZERO positive things to say about the place. You will be worked to the max almost all the time, and your duty days will almost always be unnecessarily high in hours (not flight time). Encore’s contract is terrible, and judging by their 737 counterpart in their arbitrated outcome, things are likely going to get a lot worse.

Go anywhere but there. 2 cents.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

skybaron wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:23 pm If you want any sort of life outside of work - I would avoid Encore entirely. The guys that left there have ZERO positive things to say about the place. You will be worked to the max almost all the time, and your duty days will almost always be unnecessarily high in hours (not flight time). Encore’s contract is terrible, and judging by their 737 counterpart in their arbitrated outcome, things are likely going to get a lot worse.

Every part of me wants to agree with you, but you are wrong. Schedules have gotten better, overtime is available here and there (little more scarce than last couple of years) meaning we have a good amount of crews, pay is low but you can make it work. As an FO, I was able to make it show around 75 k on my T4, and for a regional, that’s pretty good. As a captain, 6 figures is easy, mind you, I’m in training so that has its perks as well. I used to work hard for my money, not so much anymore. A decent contract is coming, so this place is going to get a little better. Yes, mainline is a ton better for pay and for scheduling. But if you like to fly close to home like me, regional flying can be fun. I’m not going to tell you to stay at Encore forever, it is not jazz, so it is not a long term place. Most of us will go to mainline when the number comes up, for good reason. But while your seniority goes up (one list meetings pending discussion), it’s a fantastic place to earn your stripes, get to know the Westjet family/culture, and sharpen those flying skills. The Q can be a handful to fly most of the time. And yes, I work an average of 14-16 days a month, next month I have 9 flying days.

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

MrTurbine wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:19 am
skybaron wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:23 pm If you want any sort of life outside of work - I would avoid Encore entirely. The guys that left there have ZERO positive things to say about the place. You will be worked to the max almost all the time, and your duty days will almost always be unnecessarily high in hours (not flight time). Encore’s contract is terrible, and judging by their 737 counterpart in their arbitrated outcome, things are likely going to get a lot worse.

Every part of me wants to agree with you, but you are wrong. Schedules have gotten better, overtime is available here and there (little more scarce than last couple of years) meaning we have a good amount of crews, pay is low but you can make it work. As an FO, I was able to make it show around 75 k on my T4, and for a regional, that’s pretty good. As a captain, 6 figures is easy, mind you, I’m in training so that has its perks as well. I used to work hard for my money, not so much anymore. A decent contract is coming, so this place is going to get a little better. Yes, mainline is a ton better for pay and for scheduling. But if you like to fly close to home like me, regional flying can be fun. I’m not going to tell you to stay at Encore forever, it is not jazz, so it is not a long term place. Most of us will go to mainline when the number comes up, for good reason. But while your seniority goes up (one list meetings pending discussion), it’s a fantastic place to earn your stripes, get to know the Westjet family/culture, and sharpen those flying skills. The Q can be a handful to fly most of the time. And yes, I work an average of 14-16 days a month, next month I have 9 flying days.
75k on your T4 as an FO? I would love to learn how you got there. Totally genuine question as I’d love to work up to that range as an FO too.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

Yieldermatik wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:11 pm

75k on your T4 as an FO? I would love to learn how you got there. Totally genuine question as I’d love to work up to that range as an FO too.
5 - 6 OT days a month including stand ups and lots of training pay did most of the trick.

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

MrTurbine wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:22 pm
Yieldermatik wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:11 pm

5 - 6 OT days a month including stand ups and lots of training pay did most of the trick.
Check thanks.

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

I did my interview with Encore Jan 31. Got a email for back ground check on Feb 12, reference called on same day. Nothing after that and still waiting. Am I being placed in pool as well? or just too busy to reply me??
flycomercial wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:49 pm Anyone recieved any answers from encore yet?

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Disagree. Anyone that has zero good things to say about Encore is the type of person that has zero good things to say about any job.

I second Mr. Turbines reply. It's generally a good and FUN place to work. Not a career stop, if you want a regional career Jazz is the place. If you want to flow to mainline with no hassle or interview then go to Encore.

Return to “WestJet Encore”