New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
User avatar
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:08 pm
Location: YEE 220 @ 4

Re: New hire bids

Post by Canoehead »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:21 pm You’re right, actually let’s make an avcanada award and give it to them for being the best paying regional.
We will nickname it smartest company on the short bus award. It will be a golden short school bus.....
There's no need for insults. We all chose our career paths and we lay in the beds we've made. Some of us have worked damned hard for a long time to be where we are.
Some of us have not. Some of us have worked for some crappy operators, some have lucked out. I've never been out of work, many have. But really, to insult a company like Jazz is quite petty.

I'm not saying that pilots need to look at what pilots did 15, 20 and 30 years ago to get to where they are today, however the idea that those of us who have worked long and hard in this business, and are quite happy to be a pilot for Jazz, really doesn't sit well at being called "short bus".

You were a Captain on a -900 based out of YVR with two years at the company when you left. No need to insult.

Congratulations and best of luck with your move up in the 703 world.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Inverted2
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2336
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:46 am
Location: Ontario

Re: New hire bids

Post by Inverted2 »

Canoehead wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:46 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:21 pm You’re right, actually let’s make an avcanada award and give it to them for being the best paying regional.
We will nickname it smartest company on the short bus award. It will be a golden short school bus.....
There's no need for insults. We all chose our career paths and we lay in the beds we've made. Some of us have worked damned hard for a long time to be where we are.
Some of us have not. Some of us have worked for some crappy operators, some have lucked out. I've never been out of work, many have. But really, to insult a company like Jazz is quite petty.

I'm not saying that pilots need to look at what pilots did 15, 20 and 30 years ago to get to where they are today, however the idea that those of us who have worked long and hard in this business, and are quite happy to be a pilot for Jazz, really doesn't sit well at being called "short bus".

You were a Captain on a -900 based out of YVR with two years at the company when you left. No need to insult.

Congratulations and best of luck with your move up in the 703 world.
They wouldn't be happy if Jazz paid 80k to start. You just can't reason with millennials.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: New hire bids

Post by HansDietrich »

If we're going to dish the insults, let's start with Air Canada; the company that is supposedly "the best to work for" in Canada and how they pay their F/Os 50K a year. I believe Canada takes the award for the lowest paid widebody pilots in the world.

The majority of us pilots here in Canada are like "battered wife syndrome". "Oh if I just would've kept my mouth shut and not bicker him about his drinking he would not have smacked me around".

"If we only accept this small concession, I mean Jazz is the best regional in Canada. I should just be happy".

The problem with North America is that a lot of Americans and Canadians (Let's stick with Canada though) have not been abroad. I don't mean on vacation; I'm talking about living, working and seeing how certain things are overseas. Some are way better here, but the aviation industry here is probably one of the worst, in comparison to the cost of living. There are exceptions, but it seems that the proverbial "Race to the bottom" is predominant.

I'm curious, has Jazz reached the 50% mark for "B-Scalers"? When I was there, we were still the minority, but growing quickly. I keep seeing ads online about Jazz hiring.

I think we kinda hijacked the thread about New Hire bids a bit. BlackTusk is really on top of it and good for him.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Das ist mir wurst...
User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: New hire bids

Post by HansDietrich »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:18 pm They wouldn't be happy if Jazz paid 80k to start. You just can't reason with millennials.
Yes they would be happy with 80K a year as an F/O. That's about the starting livable wage for someone that doesn't want to drive 500 km to work every day or have to take a 1 hour flight.

I'm not a "millennial". Let me guess, you're one of those guys that sold out the young kids, got to keep your pay, benefits and pension. You can fly your Dash 8 till you retire and hope you have a happy one, but don't sit on your ass and comment on "millennials" and how "entitled" you think they are.

I'm way older than that, and kids nowadays have it pretty tough "friend". They make 40K a year and they'll never be able to afford a decent home, on their pilot salary, in a city where they're based. Being an airline pilot is not an entry level job, it's not a minimum wage job and it doesn't take 3 week of training to become one. Even the boys and girls from Seneca, with 200 hours deserve more than 40K a year.

My kids will soon enter high-school and my number one advice to them (when choosing to go to college / pick a career): "Get a job that pays well, and stay away from aviation. Your father's generation ruined it for you"
---------- ADS -----------
 
Das ist mir wurst...
Yycjetdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: New hire bids

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Canoehead wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:46 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:21 pm You’re right, actually let’s make an avcanada award and give it to them for being the best paying regional.
We will nickname it smartest company on the short bus award. It will be a golden short school bus.....
There's no need for insults. We all chose our career paths and we lay in the beds we've made. Some of us have worked damned hard for a long time to be where we are.
Some of us have not. Some of us have worked for some crappy operators, some have lucked out. I've never been out of work, many have. But really, to insult a company like Jazz is quite petty.

I'm not saying that pilots need to look at what pilots did 15, 20 and 30 years ago to get to where they are today, however the idea that those of us who have worked long and hard in this business, and are quite happy to be a pilot for Jazz, really doesn't sit well at being called "short bus".

You were a Captain on a -900 based out of YVR with two years at the company when you left. No need to insult.

Congratulations and best of luck with your move up in the 703 world.
And there you go, the reason the Canadian aviation industry is messed.” You were a -900 Captain based in YVR. No need to insult.”
So because I got to fly a nice 900 I cant be bitter about being severely under paid?
At the end of the day it was my fault for working there, I blame myself first and foremost that I did. However as a person with first hand knowledge I can exercise my right of free speech to express my opinion of how terrible their pay structure is.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:08 pm
Location: YEE 220 @ 4

Re: New hire bids

Post by Canoehead »

You've missed the point. Completely.
If you think my comment is why "the industry is messed", you really don't understand.

Best of luck with your future endeavours.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 am

Re: New hire bids

Post by Lightchop »

Never mind I miss read a comment
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:34 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: New hire bids

Post by KenoraPilot »

Sorry we really did steal the thread here. I'm going to finish my thoughts on the subject by saying this:

Jazz is what you make of it. It is what it is, it doesn't pretend to be the greatest aviation job in the world and everybody knows the pay is sub par for FO's by a long shot. That all being said everyone who comes to Jazz should do their research and find out if it's for them. Most of us don't know if they like it until they try it, I sure didn't. I personally never wanted to be an Airline Pilot. So please come, try it and if you don't like it or can't make it work I get it and understand it. I wish you the best as you move on. For those of us who do enjoy it, I believe it's because we choose to enjoy it. Jazz is 90% mental....the pay not withstanding. If you decide you're going to give it a good go with a positive attitude often the results will turn out alright.

For those of you applying and excited to come to Jazz, in my personal opinion (having worked for 9 aviation companies 4 of which were 705 operations over 15 years) I quite enjoy Jazz. I lost my "forever" job when the oil sands took a dive in 2015. I make the best of it, I love the people I work with and the overnight while not always glorious are decent. Its a job at the end of the day, to me whats important is that my time off at home with my family and vacation time is my time and not "a moving target" like it was at some previous jobs. Some planes are older....some newer but always working pretty well....yes there are some days you'll get stuck with a POS but they don't stay that way for long. (Thats what happens to machines, they break). The Maintenance is good, the company won't push you when you say "no" and you're always paid on time and for what you've earned. Your days off are yours and they won't touch them unless you want to work extra and make more money.

All in all, come check it out and some of you will enjoy your time at Jazz, some won't. Please don't listen to the loudest minority who hate on Jazz because they didn't have a good time or felt victimized by a company/industry that is tough (another topic all together). Please listen to the positives because at the end of the day this is your life and your career.....make the most of it. If you end up hating it, lesson learned and move on :) But at least you tried it and learned something out of it. For those of you who do enjoy it, I look forward to swapping stores in the crew room and enjoying what we can out of this.

Good luck to those who are applying and looking forward to seeing you online!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Re: New hire bids

Post by Yieldermatik »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 pm Sorry we really did steal the thread here. I'm going to finish my thoughts on the subject by saying this:

Jazz is what you make of it. It is what it is, it doesn't pretend to be the greatest aviation job in the world and everybody knows the pay is sub par for FO's by a long shot. That all being said everyone who comes to Jazz should do their research and find out if it's for them. Most of us don't know if they like it until they try it, I sure didn't. I personally never wanted to be an Airline Pilot. So please come, try it and if you don't like it or can't make it work I get it and understand it. I wish you the best as you move on. For those of us who do enjoy it, I believe it's because we choose to enjoy it. Jazz is 90% mental....the pay not withstanding. If you decide you're going to give it a good go with a positive attitude often the results will turn out alright.

For those of you applying and excited to come to Jazz, in my personal opinion (having worked for 9 aviation companies 4 of which were 705 operations over 15 years) I quite enjoy Jazz. I lost my "forever" job when the oil sands took a dive in 2015. I make the best of it, I love the people I work with and the overnight while not always glorious are decent. Its a job at the end of the day, to me whats important is that my time off at home with my family and vacation time is my time and not "a moving target" like it was at some previous jobs. Some planes are older....some newer but always working pretty well....yes there are some days you'll get stuck with a POS but they don't stay that way for long. (Thats what happens to machines, they break). The Maintenance is good, the company won't push you when you say "no" and you're always paid on time and for what you've earned. Your days off are yours and they won't touch them unless you want to work extra and make more money.

All in all, come check it out and some of you will enjoy your time at Jazz, some won't. Please don't listen to the loudest minority who hate on Jazz because they didn't have a good time or felt victimized by a company/industry that is tough (another topic all together). Please listen to the positives because at the end of the day this is your life and your career.....make the most of it. If you end up hating it, lesson learned and move on :) But at least you tried it and learned something out of it. For those of you who do enjoy it, I look forward to swapping stores in the crew room and enjoying what we can out of this.

Good luck to those who are applying and looking forward to seeing you online!
THANK YOU for this post. This is the attitude I’ve been sold on that jazz pilots have. A POSITIVE one. Yesterday I was reading all the bickering back and forth and was honestly dissapointed at what I was reading. I’m in the pool and very much looking forward to joining this great company. No company’s perfect, but Jazz has the training and the opportunities that very few companies can give you as a professional. You gotta be able to roll with the punches, adapt and get ahead on hard work and a positive attitude. You also have to be adult enough to know when something’s not working out for your long term plans and you have to be able to move on with dignity. Most of us here write posts under anonimity, but it’s a small industry and it’s quite easy to know who’s who if you dig deep enough. Cheers to all and choose to be happy.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 am

Re: New hire bids

Post by Lightchop »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 pm Sorry we really did steal the thread here. I'm going to finish my thoughts on the subject by saying this:

Jazz is what you make of it. It is what it is, it doesn't pretend to be the greatest aviation job in the world and everybody knows the pay is sub par for FO's by a long shot. That all being said everyone who comes to Jazz should do their research and find out if it's for them. Most of us don't know if they like it until they try it, I sure didn't. I personally never wanted to be an Airline Pilot. So please come, try it and if you don't like it or can't make it work I get it and understand it. I wish you the best as you move on. For those of us who do enjoy it, I believe it's because we choose to enjoy it. Jazz is 90% mental....the pay not withstanding. If you decide you're going to give it a good go with a positive attitude often the results will turn out alright.

For those of you applying and excited to come to Jazz, in my personal opinion (having worked for 9 aviation companies 4 of which were 705 operations over 15 years) I quite enjoy Jazz. I lost my "forever" job when the oil sands took a dive in 2015. I make the best of it, I love the people I work with and the overnight while not always glorious are decent. Its a job at the end of the day, to me whats important is that my time off at home with my family and vacation time is my time and not "a moving target" like it was at some previous jobs. Some planes are older....some newer but always working pretty well....yes there are some days you'll get stuck with a POS but they don't stay that way for long. (Thats what happens to machines, they break). The Maintenance is good, the company won't push you when you say "no" and you're always paid on time and for what you've earned. Your days off are yours and they won't touch them unless you want to work extra and make more money.

All in all, come check it out and some of you will enjoy your time at Jazz, some won't. Please don't listen to the loudest minority who hate on Jazz because they didn't have a good time or felt victimized by a company/industry that is tough (another topic all together). Please listen to the positives because at the end of the day this is your life and your career.....make the most of it. If you end up hating it, lesson learned and move on :) But at least you tried it and learned something out of it. For those of you who do enjoy it, I look forward to swapping stores in the crew room and enjoying what we can out of this.

Good luck to those who are applying and looking forward to seeing you online!
You nailed everything.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Outlaw58
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:49 pm

Re: New hire bids

Post by Outlaw58 »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 pm Sorry we really did steal the thread here. I'm going to finish my thoughts on the subject by saying this:

Jazz is what you make of it. It is what it is, it doesn't pretend to be the greatest aviation job in the world and everybody knows the pay is sub par for FO's by a long shot. That all being said everyone who comes to Jazz should do their research and find out if it's for them. Most of us don't know if they like it until they try it, I sure didn't. I personally never wanted to be an Airline Pilot. So please come, try it and if you don't like it or can't make it work I get it and understand it. I wish you the best as you move on. For those of us who do enjoy it, I believe it's because we choose to enjoy it. Jazz is 90% mental....the pay not withstanding. If you decide you're going to give it a good go with a positive attitude often the results will turn out alright.

For those of you applying and excited to come to Jazz, in my personal opinion (having worked for 9 aviation companies 4 of which were 705 operations over 15 years) I quite enjoy Jazz. I lost my "forever" job when the oil sands took a dive in 2015. I make the best of it, I love the people I work with and the overnight while not always glorious are decent. Its a job at the end of the day, to me whats important is that my time off at home with my family and vacation time is my time and not "a moving target" like it was at some previous jobs. Some planes are older....some newer but always working pretty well....yes there are some days you'll get stuck with a POS but they don't stay that way for long. (Thats what happens to machines, they break). The Maintenance is good, the company won't push you when you say "no" and you're always paid on time and for what you've earned. Your days off are yours and they won't touch them unless you want to work extra and make more money.

All in all, come check it out and some of you will enjoy your time at Jazz, some won't. Please don't listen to the loudest minority who hate on Jazz because they didn't have a good time or felt victimized by a company/industry that is tough (another topic all together). Please listen to the positives because at the end of the day this is your life and your career.....make the most of it. If you end up hating it, lesson learned and move on :) But at least you tried it and learned something out of it. For those of you who do enjoy it, I look forward to swapping stores in the crew room and enjoying what we can out of this.

Good luck to those who are applying and looking forward to seeing you online!
For a number of years, I've been pondering how I could make the jump from a nicely paid helo job with good conditions to the airlines without taking too much of a hit. I I came to the conclusion that a significant cut in pay and work conditions was inevitable and I chose Jazz to make that transition. While I don't know what it would have been like in an other company, I can honestly say that it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be and Jazz exceeded my expectations. Will I finish my flying career at Jazz? The jury is still out but it is definitely a contender.

58
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: New hire bids

Post by HansDietrich »

Yieldermatik wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:36 pm THANK YOU for this post. This is the attitude I’ve been sold on that jazz pilots have. A POSITIVE one. Yesterday I was reading all the bickering back and forth and was honestly dissapointed at what I was reading. I’m in the pool and very much looking forward to joining this great company. No company’s perfect, but Jazz has the training and the opportunities that very few companies can give you as a professional. You gotta be able to roll with the punches, adapt and get ahead on hard work and a positive attitude. You also have to be adult enough to know when something’s not working out for your long term plans and you have to be able to move on with dignity. Most of us here write posts under anonimity, but it’s a small industry and it’s quite easy to know who’s who if you dig deep enough. Cheers to all and choose to be happy.
That's a pretty risky way of looking at things. You're not doing yourself any favors by trying to "sell" yourself coming to Jazz. My advice to you is listen carefully to everything we said; to the guys that like it there and the guys that don't. More importantly find out why someone likes or dislikes this place and see how that aligns with your goals and aspirations. Compare that to your family status, financial situations, the place where you want to work, live etc.

If you read my previous posts, on this very thread I was once very positive and excited about joining Jazz, only to realize that on top of the "known things" such as low pay, which I was obviously able to overlook, I ended up being unpleasantly surprised about many other things. It became so bad for me that I quit Jazz. My reasons, my experience and my expectations might be very much different than that of Kennora Pilot or other guys here. I'm not sure if Kennora Pilot is married, has kids and works hard to balance that. (Not to take away from his life outside of work, which is equally important to mine and everyone else) Family responsibilities come before personal career aspirations and Jazz did not offer me that balance, both from a professional point of view and a family point of view. Like yourself I tried hard to sell myself that "dream". I was thoroughly disappointed.

A 21 year old Seneca grad, flying a Q out of YYZ, living at home with mom and dad in Mississauga will have a very different opinion on Jazz, compare to an older, married guy with kids, with previous work and life experience. Know where you stand, what you want and what you're willing to put up. Then you can make a somewhat informed decision.

Last but not least, I think a lot of people here are ignoring the big elephant in the room. I'm willing to bet that 60%, if not more of people that join Jazz is because they want to go to Air Canada, not finish their careers here. What do you want?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Das ist mir wurst...
JZYHZ
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Re: New hire bids

Post by JZYHZ »

How soon will you be able to post the Mar 4. GS bids?
---------- ADS -----------
 
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Re: New hire bids

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

JZYHZ wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:11 pm How soon will you be able to post the Mar 4. GS bids?
The available spots will be posted on day two, so March 5th.
---------- ADS -----------
 
B1900Driver
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: New hire bids

Post by B1900Driver »

Hello boys and girls! Do you happen to know what was the bid for the February ground school?
Thank you and happy flying :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:34 pm
Location: Windy Hell

Re: New hire bids

Post by yhz41 »

2 yul dash
2 yul q
1 yyz dash
2 yyc rj
1 yyc dash
4 yvr rj
3 yvr q
---------- ADS -----------
 
mdechantal
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 6:25 am

Re: New hire bids

Post by mdechantal »

March 4th 2019 class

YVR 6 q400
YYC 8 RJ
YYZ 0
YUL 2 DH8
---------- ADS -----------
 
Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Re: New hire bids

Post by Yieldermatik »

mdechantal wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:10 am March 4th 2019 class

YVR 6 q400
YYC 8 RJ
YYZ 0
YUL 2 DH8
Zero yyz :S
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
stayls
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:43 pm
Contact:

Re: New hire bids

Post by stayls »

mdechantal wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:10 am March 4th 2019 class

YVR 6 q400
YYC 8 RJ
YYZ 0
YUL 2 DH8
8 RJ sounds nice though
---------- ADS -----------
 
Babar350
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: New hire bids

Post by Babar350 »

Yieldermatik wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:47 am
mdechantal wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:10 am March 4th 2019 class

YVR 6 q400
YYC 8 RJ
YYZ 0
YUL 2 DH8
Zero yyz :S
I would guess that no spots would be available in YYZ for the OTS since those spots should be for GGN pilots...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”