Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

flyup
Rank 0
Rank 0

Jazz or Sunwing ?

Post by flyup »

Hello guys,

since there has been many threads comparing 2 operators, why not compare Jazz and Sunwing. Where would you go if you had the choice?

Sunwing:

- Solid company, 49% owned by TUI (made 1 billion $ profit last year)
- Great planes, great destinations
- Great schedule (10-12 days a month)
- Decent pay with huge potential to make lots of extra cash (overtime, deployments)
- Excellent type rating to hold in case the economy crashes, will always find a job somewhere on the planet

Jazz:

- Good flow to air canada.
- Very stable company
- Terrible pay
- Not the best schedule (pairings, work 15-18 days a month)

What else ?
---------- ADS -----------

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Jazz or Sunwing ?

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

I would go to Sunwing. Personal preference. I prefer jet time and a 737 type rating and heavier time vs a turboprop or light RJ. Sunwing pay is better and upgrade pay is way better than Jazz. You have the option of being stationed overseas which is very inresting, unlike Jazz that flies to Fort whatsername... lots more money and cool destinations at Sunwing. Glass cockpit, full bathroom on board and quick upgrades to 737 captain if you come in with considerable time. Upgrade times would probably be about the same give or take a year if you go either operator now with 4500TT+. I would consider Sunwing stable and a possible career company.

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

I with the guy above! Full bathroom is a game changer!!

gonnabeapilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gonnabeapilot »

The biggest questions are how old are you and how badly do you want to be an Air Canada pilot. If you're 30+ and really want to fly for big red, go to Jazz. The flow agreement is worth any negatives that Jazz might have. If you don't really care about whether or not you end up at AC I would recommend Sunwing as lots of people are still being hired at AC from Sunwing but it's a good career job if you don't get hired at AC or if you don't care about being hired at AC.

If you're under 30 why not give Sunwing a go? The European deployments are an amazing experience, the pay is better to help pay off those student loans and you have a few years to knock on big red's door while enjoying the good life. You can always go to Jazz after a few years for the flow agreement if you can't get hired off the street from Sunwing. Waiting until you're 30 still gives you a 35 plus career at AC that will still land to a widebody command.

JayVee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JayVee »

kilocharliemike wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:33 pm Full bathroom
With a bathtub?

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

When I said full bathroom, in airplane standards, it means there is an actual sink to wash your hands. Not just hand sanitizer spray. :mrgreen:

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Comparing apples to oranges. Jazz is what it is, a regional airline. Sunwing isn’t that and more comparable to airlines/charter/cargo companies operating larger aircraft. The pay, schedule and many other acpects are completely different and not comparable.

Just cause your tinder profile says Air Canada Express, doesn’t mean your not a regional airline pilot.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Oh, I dunno. I enjoyed being able to take a shower inflight. That's my idea of a "full bathroom". Heated floors, etc. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, erm, uh... Sunwing?

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

gonnabeapilot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:22 pm The biggest questions are how old are you and how badly do you want to be an Air Canada pilot. If you're 30+ and really want to fly for big red, go to Jazz. The flow agreement is worth any negatives that Jazz might have. If you don't really care about whether or not you end up at AC I would recommend Sunwing as lots of people are still being hired at AC from Sunwing but it's a good career job if you don't get hired at AC or if you don't care about being hired at AC.

If you're under 30 why not give Sunwing a go? The European deployments are an amazing experience, the pay is better to help pay off those student loans and you have a few years to knock on big red's door while enjoying the good life. You can always go to Jazz after a few years for the flow agreement if you can't get hired off the street from Sunwing. Waiting until you're 30 still gives you a 35 plus career at AC that will still land to a widebody command.
Only catch is that if you go to Sunwing now and intend on hard trying to get to AC later, you’re going to be sitting at a the bottom of long and young seniority list, and once hiring slows down at AC in the next few years, you could be slaving away on reserve on the A320 in TORONTO for many many years (nightmare!!!).

All the hiring going on around the industry makes the early pilot career look like smiles and rainbows, but don’t be fooled, it will slow back down like it always does and early lifestyle will take a hard hit.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

How do you even apply for a job at Sunwing? On their web site they aren't hiring pilots. Snail mail I guess?

gonnabeapilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gonnabeapilot »

Hiring of 100 pilots to begin shortly. Keep your eyes peeled on the hiring portal over the next few weeks in order to apply.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:48 pm Just cause your tinder profile says Air Canada Express, doesn’t mean your not a regional airline pilot.
What’s this have to do with anything? Besides, they don’t know the difference. Still an “airline pilot” and it still says “Air Canada” :lol:

flyup
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyup »

Thanks for your messages. Well I'm going with Sunwing. Reasons:

- Much better pay right off the bat
- Work less days a month

Jazz is great but at the end if mainline doesn't hire me well I'll feel like I've wasted my time and I won't go far with a Dash rating when the economy slows down.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

flyup wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:40 am Thanks for your messages. Well I'm going with Sunwing. Reasons:

- Much better pay right off the bat
- Work less days a month

Jazz is great but at the end if mainline doesn't hire me well I'll feel like I've wasted my time and I won't go far with a Dash rating when the economy slows down.
Good luck, if Sunwing PFO's you? (no sarcasm, just legit question)

flyup
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyup »

I started at jazz a few month ago and sunwing just hired me. Thanks.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

flyup wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:17 pm I started at jazz a few month ago and sunwing just hired me. Thanks.
Best decision you could have ever made. Congrats.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

complexintentions wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:03 am Oh, I dunno. I enjoyed being able to take a shower inflight. That's my idea of a "full bathroom". Heated floors, etc. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, erm, uh... Sunwing?
Must be nice up there, looking down on the poor and unfortunate and all...

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

flyup wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:17 pm I started at jazz a few month ago and sunwing just hired me. Thanks.

So you took a job and left without staying a full year despite that company investing money into training you? I hope you turned down The Sunwing job..This is why bonds exist..

I’ve been in this exact position where I interviewed at company A and B. Company A was my dream job and company B wasn’t. Company B had substantially Lower pay etc. however, I was out of a job ..

Company B calls and offers a job. Meanwhile, company A is still doing their hiring process... I’m also unemployed...

I start out at Company B .. get through groundschool and into the sim.

Company A calls and offers the job. I tell company A I’ve made a comittment to company B.. and had to decline despite really wanting to work for company A . My word is worth something...

Did you tell Jazz in their interview that you’d leave if something came up that suited your needs better? ( after they’ve invested in you)

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Jazz has a hidden bond in the form of suppressed pay for the first few years. Everybody "pays" this indirectly.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:17 am Jazz has a hidden bond in the form of suppressed pay for the first few years. Everybody "pays" this indirectly.
How exactly is that a bond? You can leave whenever you like.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”