Canadian/First Air Merger

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Canadian/First Air Merger

Post by leftoftrack »

If the 5T/7F merger gets approved, will they expand their routes to southern city's direct? YYC YWG YYZ
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Canadian/First Air Merger

Post by valleyboy »

Not likely, although they have done YWG for years, YYZ and YYC are saturated and I doubt much will change.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Wasn't this merger announced almost a year ago. Wonder how much longer before the competition bureau decides.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

It would be nice, reduce alot of people's travel by a day

TenForTwelve
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TenForTwelve »

Competition Bureau report out this morning.

https://www.canada.ca/en/competition-bu ... erger.html

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

I read that as a hell no. Any one have a different interpretation?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Unless there is some weird lawyer double speak I missed, I'd agree "hell no"

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I would strongly recommend against the merger. There is no way prices will go anywhere but way up. I suggest Marc Garneau ask the residents of YFB what happened many years ago when Canadian North stopped flying south from Iqaluit for a few years.

"The Commissioner’s analysis has raised the following concerns with respect to a potential prevention or lessening of competition that may occur as a result of the Proposed Transaction:

The Proposed Transaction is likely to result in a substantial lessening of competition with respect to the provision of passenger travel and cargo services on all overlapping origin-destination pairs except Edmonton–Yellowknife, including on the Ottawa–Iqaluit route and the Trans–Arctic route, and within the Kitikmeot region, the Qikiqtaaluk region, and the Mackenzie Valley region;"

Basically almost everywhere except one route. I suppose the Makivik board would get their big payouts again for doing....what?.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

So the solution is to have 2 airlines losing money instead of one making a profit. Anyone who has lived and worked in the Arctic knows that there is not a profit to be made for two. Ironically when airlines operate in that non profit area the first thing that is sacrificed is maintenance and it spirals from there and safety is eventually compromised. Westjet and AC have not helped the North. If you live in YK you get a break on fares but because of this 7F and 5T are forced to increase tariffs in the northern communities to offset the loss of revenue. Sh1t flows down hill.

Competition is still there and if the Northstar model works out I can see the migration of freight from these carriers, which would be bad enough in its self but add 2 large carriers(by northern standards) beating each other up there is bound to be a bankruptcy, especially if the co-op follows suit. First Air and C North are now subcontractors for a lot of their freight and could lose it overnight if and when the heavy lift side is revisited.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Freight contracts (groceries) have always been the bread and butter for arctic operators...passengers are the gravy, and as was mentioned above, if the freight revenue disappears, people hauling alone won't sustain either company.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Just take a read of the twitter account of Kyle Sheppard (Iqaluit city councillor) to get some background on the direction that GNU is taking.

As long as competition is introduced on the yfb-yow route, and that fare gets reduced, they absolutely do not care what happens anywhere else in the north.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

If one a company is losing money, then they can drop a route or three instead of merging and massively raising prices. Or lease a smaller aircraft.

If things are bad enough, then one will go bankrupt, just like down south.

Or they can both raise their prices(not in collusion though).

But the guaranteed result of a merger is much higher prices.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I personally think a merger is a good thing for the north. To allow a bankruptcy amounts to the same thing in the long run and possibly exposes the traveling public to all the safety concerns there in. Regardless, the prices should be at a point where a company is viable and increases in tariffs would actually be less with a merger than denying it and let attrition do it's job.
The merger does not closed the door for competition and if someone wants to create competition, let them step up to the plate.

I can imagine the fire storm here if the government had offered subsidies to keep the airlines viable so why the negative reaction for wanting to keep a business operating in the black.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Someone mentioned run a smaller aircraft but unfortunately the NU gov did this to themselves by requiring ridiculous things for medical contract work such as a "Jet Aircraft" for YWG-YRT

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

valleyboy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:39 am The merger does not closed the door for competition and if someone wants to create competition, let them step up to the plate.

I can imagine the fire storm here if the government had offered subsidies to keep the airlines viable so why the negative reaction for wanting to keep a business operating in the black.
And yet this is the solution, according to the competition bureau, to attract a new competitor:
The Bureau recognizes that major customer contracts, including those relating to governmental travel and recurrent cargo deliveries, may be important to potential competitors, and perhaps even necessary to make entry viable in the short term.
Subsidize the new guy with govt contracts.

https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic ... 04419.html

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Maybe the problem is too many flights with not enough payload. Matching each other flight for flight. Do they both need to be sending big jets on a route with exactly the same departure time.

If AC and WJ overload a route, they lose money and eventually, if the business is well run, cut back.

AC used to send DC-9 aircraft to places like YUY and YVO. Now it is smaller aircraft. RJ’s have replaced 737’s out west and have proven that they can be operated in the east. Freight from the south can go on freighters like Cargojet.

Airlines are putting too much capacity on routes and losing money. The answer is not a monopoly that massively raises prices to a point that is way more than reasonable.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

fish4life wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:03 pm Someone mentioned run a smaller aircraft but unfortunately the NU gov did this to themselves by requiring ridiculous things for medical contract work such as a "Jet Aircraft" for YWG-YRT
This literally has nothing to do with the thread. This thread is not about medevacs. It is about

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

yhz41 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:43 pm
fish4life wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:03 pm Someone mentioned run a smaller aircraft but unfortunately the NU gov did this to themselves by requiring ridiculous things for medical contract work such as a "Jet Aircraft" for YWG-YRT
This literally has nothing to do with the thread. This thread is not about medevacs. It is about
The majority of the gov of NU work is medical travel not medevacs, this requires meals to be served on the sched and jet service between certain locations eg YRT-YWG in order to win the contract to take people down for appointments in southern locations.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Lufthansa also recommended they no longer seperate the emergency travel from the return travel in the contract, so whoever is winning the return travel, is also gonna be winning the Medivac flights, should be an interesting RFP

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Personally I say let them merger. Air Canada (Jazz) tried the Iqaluit route a couple years ago it didn’t last long. Trust me if someone comes in with a cheaper rate the passengers will change just like they did in Yellowknife. Yellowknife had the best of service before Air Canada and West Jet showed up with $75.00 seats on the RJ and 737. As soon as Canadian and First air dropped their Edmonton Calgary service to Once a day and not every day. $75.00 seats went to $250.00 seats at the cheapest and RJ and 737 are now Q400’s. From what I understand if you want to fly south for business for the day your choice is be at YZF airport if you can get a seat by 04:30 and your lucky to get back by 23:00 and don’t forget you get to ride 2 hours each way on a Q400 with a hope the flight attendants will come around more then once.

My Rant for today.

Just want to add. The Federal Government didn't give a dam when West Jet and Air Canada dropped rates to $75.00 to destroy the competition. Nor did they care when they increased the rates after the competition left. So why should they care about this.

Return to “General Comments”