Coast to Coast Flight - Aerodrome recommendations

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ScottS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Coast to Coast Flight - Aerodrome recommendations

Post by ScottS »

Hi all,

In a potential act of ludicracy, my wife has agreed to load up the infant and camping gear into the Cherokee and head from Squamish to Halifax, VFR. Planning about 5-6 flying days to get there, and the same coming back. I am seeking any hot tips on good welcoming strips to stop at for overnights. Beside-wing tenting is the target, or campgrounds nearby, but some sort of accessible bathroom is the target. Planning to stick north of the border for the trip, ('cause patriotism) except for the Maine shortcut to the Maritimes.

Suggestions, comments and "you're fuggin crazy mate" are all welcome.
---------- ADS -----------

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Coast to Coast Flight - Aerodrome recommendations

Post by C-GKNT »

Sounds like a great trip. I used to fly out to New Brunswick every summer in my Mooney to visit the out-laws.

CEM4 (Innisfail, AB, just SW of Red Deer) is camping friendly. The clubhouse is being rebuilt over the next 2 months but should have bathroom/shower facilities. When are you planning to go?

If you decide to stop in YQF (not camping friendly), PM me I'll find you some space in my hangar.

Glenn

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I like the following airports:

Pitt Meadows BC; easy going place, restaurant. Golden BC, pretty; and close to town, Wetaskiwin Alberta; quiet, with a great museum close by, Selkirk Manitoba; quiet, camping would probably be fine, closet to the river and town, Terrace bay, Ontario; quiet and easy going, Wawa Ontario; Not too many choices in that area, Gore Bay Ontario, fuel stop, quiet and easy going, though not too much around, Killarny Ontario; easy going, camping should be okay, quick walk to town, which is very quaint, Parry Sound Ontario; camping probably okay, though not close to town, follow the east shore of Georgian Bay south, it's very pretty, Orillia Lake St John Ontario; great restaurant, and camping probably okay, follow the St Lawrence river east from Kingston, it's just pretty, a few airports along the way, Ottawa, Rockcliffe; pretty, museum right there, Gatinaeu Quebec, easy going airport, antique aircraft, Lac A la Tortue Quebec, pretty, close to town, nice people, and camping probably okay, Montmagny Quebec, very pretty, camping probably okay, though can be quite windy, Digby Nova Scotia is okay, I'm sure they'd allow camping, always attended, not close to town though.

There are, of course lots of other suitable airports, and I can't think I've ever landed at an airport I would never want to return to, just those airports are top of my mind for being nice places to stop along the way.

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

Stirling Ontario is a welcoming airport with fuel, washroom (No shower.) and lots of room for camping.

http://stirlingairport.ca/

If the family is ready for a little luxury by the time you hit Ontario, have a look at the Elmhirst Resort on Rice Lake. If you book it ahead, you can get a float rating while you are there for a couple of days! The Sunday brunch is amazing! Book accommodations ahead of time; it is busy in the summer.

https://www.facebook.com/ElmhirstResort/

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
ScottS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ScottS »

Awesome.

I forgot to mention that departure is the first good weather window for the Rockies in June. First stop is Golden for a rest and then my wife wants two nights in Drumheller to do the dino thing.

Going to try and stagger the overnight stops on the way back (MB east bound, SK west bound) which means getting a little further west than Thunder Bay on the way back. Terrace Bay is a great suggestion for east bound.

Also, how is the route through Val'd'Or/Timmins for the return trip (planning south to Rockcliffe eastbound)?

fleetcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fleetcanuck »

Lyncrest, CJL5 on the outskirts of Winnipeg is camping friendly with bathroom access. There is no shower but it is a very friendly spot with good fuel prices.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Go sooner than later, or you may be screwed by forest fire smoke. That happened to me last summer on a trip.

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Isn’t Terrace Bay closed?

Sundridge/South River Airpark, ON (CPE6) is a perfect spot for you to stop and camp. Some of the smoothest grass runways you will ever find plus The “Terminal” building has showers and fuel is available.

Have Pratts - Will Travel
Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

After golden and before drumheller, stop at cea3 for fuel. More than likely the cheapest you can find or very close to it.

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

Yes, Terrace Bay is closed. A drag strip now.

CKG8 Kakabeka with prior permission might be good. And you can check out Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park. You are close but I will need to research the logistics of getting you there from the airfield. I would be happy to help if i am available (fellow Cherokee owner and all...😁). PM me if this might be a stop for you.

Dryden is a good stop for GA. Douglas fuels gives a discount to COPA members and is cheaper than CYQT. Douglas fuels also has a courtesy car if you buy fuel. They are a ways from town so you will need the car. I was stranded there for a couple days last winter bringing the Warrior home from Winnipeg and the guys were great! Thumbs up to them.

CYQT will be your most expensive fuel and tie downs, I think but lots to see and do in the area.

Marathon is interesting, self serve fuel, There was a restaurant walking distance, down the high way, but I have not been there for a decade or more. The runway is beside the highway. A couple nice parks in the area, but you might want to call taxis in the area ahead of time to see about getting to the parks.

Kenora has landing fees, expensive fuel, and not near civilization, iirc.

Fort Frances is well serviced I think. Sioux Lookout is a busy hub but I don't know much about the airport.

PM me if you want more info about Northern Ontario. I have a cross country coming up for the CPL so I can check into things for you, maybe. 😊

Sounds like a fun trip, if you have the flexibility.

Cheers,

Shawno

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

While you're going, check www.100ll.ca for fuel prices and report back to help keep it updated! (I run the site). I also try to include notes about landing fees or fuel surcharges, so you can check for those as well.

ScottS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ScottS »

Wow, this is some great stuff. Lots to research.

Yes, 100ll.ca is a go to, but it seems like the further I look east, the longer it is between price updates. Not everyone seems to be as on top of giving you updated prices it as I am Rob ;)

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Thanks for starting this thread, I've enjoyed reading it, hopefully you can share some pictures and stories from your experience.

The puppy-mill I attended for flight training wouldn't rent out their aircraft for days/weeks to facilitate these types of trips. Some of the best trips of my flying career have been last minute rescue (AOG, medevac, fly a part to a factory/mill/mine, etc) across the country. Although planning those trips is much easier IFR in a twin turbo-prop using the boss' mastercard.

BigQ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BigQ »

Gananoque (CNN8) is a nice quiet airport just east of kingston. Thousand Islands are nice

Return to “General Comments”