Maximum important headset advice!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tony77
Rank 0
Rank 0

Maximum important headset advice!

Post by tony77 »

Good afternoon,

So I am flying around Alberta doing pipleine patrols. First job! I spend 3-8 hours in the air, mostly in the toolies with nothing but my own thoughts and music from my dying Sennheiser headset. I want to upgrade but I am wondering what the best is for audio quality for music specifically as I am sure they all make and receive acceptable ATC calls. I'd like bluetooth, but I can not find info on what Codecs these headsets use (A2DP, APT-X, LDAC, etc). I might just go hardwire to get the best anyway but it would be nice to have APT-X or better to eliminate one more chord.

Thanks everyone!Akinatorhttps://xender.vip/ https://testmyspeed.onl/
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by tony77 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spruceair
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Maximum important headset advice!

Post by spruceair »

I’ve been using an A20 for a couple of years now and find the audio pretty high quality. To be honest I think the most important thing when it comes to a headset is how comfortable it is on your head for the mentioned 3-8 hours a day. If you have an opportunity to try all of the mentioned headsets out for a day I’d recommend doing that. One may have better audio quality but will give you a headache after an hour of use. Just my two cents, good luck with the search!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

New advanced headsets have introduced previously unknown performance, at a cost. I quite like the Bose A 20. However, headsets might live a touch life, and risk loss and damage. For that reason, I'm content with old reliable - David Clark H10-30's, I still use the first set I bought new in 1983, and have sought them out as passenger headsets for my airplanes. They are not costly, and are endlessly repairable, though don't seem to need repair very often. When I test flew a client's C T206H yesterday, what was I offered for a headset? An H10-30, and it worked just fine.

I find them comfortable, though agree other headsets are also comfortable in different ways, and the user must judge for themselves. As for hearing protection, the qualities of the basic DC headset have served me just fine for four decades of flying, and I have the hearing tests to prove it. Noise cancelling is very nice, but it is not absolutely necessary for hearing protection.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

I use the Bose X and A20s and the AKG AV100 headsets. The A20 and AV100 have bluetooth audio but all 3 have patch cables to pump in your own audio. I prefer the A20s. The AV100 is a decent headset but found them a bit "tinny" sounding. The A20s have a warmer sound but can be a bit fussy to get sealed around your ears with sun or eye glasses on. I haven't experienced the "head pressure" that some complain about with the A20s. I've worn them for 8+ hours in a day and shy of adjusting them a couple times, didn't have any discomfort.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

How about a Bose QC25 or QC35 with a uflymike?

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I used to be ahuge fan of DC’s and still have a set...though they are noise cancelling. They do seem bulletproof and if they ever need servicing it is very reasonable.

I did have the opportunity afew years ago to fly with the light speed and Bose.
About 6 hrs a day typically.
Here is my perspective.
Bose are a bit better at noise reduction, but, at least at that time, the headsets hinged in the centre of the headband , and I found the pressure on the head and eats noticable.
Light speed did not have quite as good noise cancelling , but you can wear them day after day for hour each day , and they are very comfortable.

I understand from some people that lightspeed are subject to needing more repairs and service. The company where I was comparing them said they had had no problems from either type. That being said, their headsets remained in the aircraft allthe time and were not being taken out every flight like some pilots need to do, that might make a difference.

I never used the bluetooth capabilities simply because I dont like to motor through the sky listening to music on mental autopilot...the internal pilot TCAS gets disconnected..

I think generally at about $1000 or so allthe headsets are good and have decent service and warrenty, cheaper than that, it is DC ...although, in saying that I notice they are making what appears to be light plastic ear cups now.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Don't buy a Lightspeed, mine is due for another repair. I spoke with them and Sun n Fun, all they wanted to do was sell me a new one with a lousy trade-in value. Poor quality, poor fitment and poor customer service. I find they rely too much on a higher clamping force for noise reduction. This gives me a headache after a few hours and the slightest air leak (i.e. sunglasses) causes squealing. The Bose A20 are like heaven after wearing my Lightspeed for 4 hours. DC's are good if you don't want ANR.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

Take a look at the clarity alofts.

I have flown with them in various small airplanes including noisy Harvard, C185 and Pitts, metro (very noisy) and an airbus and they are very comfortable and quiet. No batteries required (no ANR).

I have had mine for about 10 years and over 7000 hours. Only issue was user error slicing the chord.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

JasonE wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:10 pm Don't buy a Lightspeed, mine is due for another repair. I spoke with them and Sun n Fun, all they wanted to do was sell me a new one with a lousy trade-in value. Poor quality, poor fitment and poor customer service. I find they rely too much on a higher clamping force for noise reduction. This gives me a headache after a few hours and the slightest air leak (i.e. sunglasses) causes squealing. The Bose A20 are like heaven after wearing my Lightspeed for 4 hours. DC's are good if you don't want ANR.
What?

My experience and looks like a few others have been the exact opposite. It’s Bose that clamps your head in a vice... look at the design, it literally has a spring loaded hinge that Lightspeed doesn’t have. I’m not exactly the smallest headed individual, either. Customer service was awesome.

I have no idea what the trade in is. My original Zulus are ten years old and aside from new ear seals and mic muffs it’s been in for service once.... fast, cheap, good as new.

As far as audio in goes, I don’t think you’re going to hear the differences in codec or compression in the aircraft.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

For the Clarity aloft, anyone with experience as to how they hold up in a light turbine? Think King Air etc.?

Return to “General Comments”