Will Porter hire again after May 2019

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dingaling
Rank 0
Rank 0

Will Porter hire again after May 2019

Post by Dingaling »

Hi everyone,
Just a quick question. I know April and May have ground schools running for new hires but does anyone have an idea if Porter will continue running courses throughout the year?
Any info would be appreciated 😉
---------- ADS -----------

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Will Porter hire again after May 2019

Post by Grey_Wolf »

With attrition forecasted at 6 per month (and the bulk in the spring (Apr-May-Jun), I'd say more than likely.

As long as Mainline (AC, WestJet) is hiring, the will be some movement from Porter. Sunwing and Transat are also places pilot transition too.

Best is to contact Julie (Assistant Chief Pilot - Recruitment), and/or attend the open house that regularly occur and ask those questions.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
Dingaling
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dingaling »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:25 pm With attrition forecasted at 6 per month (and the bulk in the spring (Apr-May-Jun), I'd say more than likely.

As long as Mainline (AC, WestJet) is hiring, the will be some movement from Porter. Sunwing and Transat are also places pilot transition too.

Best is to contact Julie (Assistant Chief Pilot - Recruitment), and/or attend the open house that regularly occur and ask those questions.
Hey Grey Wolf.... thanks for the response👍🏻
The movement is crazy right now so there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. Again thank you 🙏🏽

ap3hause
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ap3hause »

Any idea when and where the next open house will be held? Thank you.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Dingaling wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:56 pm there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.
Yes, it would be terrible for someone to have to spend their 800th hour living outside the centre of the universe. The horrors!

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Any word of summer ground schools? Heard there is a bit of movement happening with pilots moving on.

Dingaling
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dingaling »

172ReliefPilot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:43 am Any word of summer ground schools? Heard there is a bit of movement happening with pilots moving on.
A friend got hired September at Porter and has just left for another jet job literally 6 months later.
There is movement and also we have to c wat air Georgian has up their sleeves. They r running gs for CRJs and have hired under 1000 hrs.
I’m really not 100% maybe Julie May shed some light and give some hope ?

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Thanks for the info! Hoping to hear something soon.

Dingaling
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dingaling »

172ReliefPilot wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:55 am Thanks for the info! Hoping to hear something soon.
Btw porter is still doin sim evaluations as we speak so there must b some more gs happening. Good luck with Porter👍🏻

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

From what i've heard it's going to be Fall after the May ground school

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Dingaling wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 am
172ReliefPilot wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:43 am Any word of summer ground schools? Heard there is a bit of movement happening with pilots moving on.
A friend got hired September at Porter and has just left for another jet job literally 6 months later.
There is movement and also we have to c wat air Georgian has up their sleeves. They r running gs for CRJs and have hired under 1000 hrs.
Why would your friend move from Porter? Did he go to another airline, or corporate?

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

I believe i also know this guy, he left to Charteright for a CRJ job. Corporate is his goal i think
The Raven wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:12 am
Dingaling wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 am
Why would your friend move from Porter? Did he go to another airline, or corporate?

True.pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by True.pilot »

Hello folk!

Have just checked captain entry requirements in Porter and have not found any about citizenship or work permit. Who knows it means that Porter could support proper applicant’s application for PR immigration? Were there any known cases?

Namttej
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Namttej »

True.pilot wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:15 am Hello folk!

Have just checked captain entry requirements in Porter and have not found any about citizenship or work permit. Who knows it means that Porter could support proper applicant’s application for PR immigration? Were there any known cases?
Highly doubt it

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

True.pilot wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:15 am Hello folk!

No. You have to have the right to work in Canada. You also need to be able to regularly cross into the USA (visa, etc.).

ahkhamza
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ahkhamza »

So basically no hiring until next year :roll: ?? Can anyone confirm?

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

ahkhamza wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 am So basically no hiring until next year :roll: ?? Can anyone confirm?
There's definitely no Initial class in October.

Traditionally (except for one year where we were very short) there are no classes in Nov/Dec, but so I personally don't expect a new class until the New Year. They haven't released the projection yet, but we are fully staffed with very little turnover at the moment.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

They haven't released the projection yet, but we are fully staffed with very little turnover at the moment.
Flight Ops has played it close to the chest for some time now.

The Assistant Chief Pilot - Recruitment & Retention left late spring/early summer for a career advancement at a competing airline. They have yet to replace that position. Couple that with the grounding of the 737 Max, the acquisition of Transat by AC, and WestJet by Onex. Hiring has trickled to a stop (at Porter at least).

All I can say, in my opinion, is that 2020 will be a make or break year for Porter. There is a lot riding on this election. In my opinion, if the Liberals get back in, the Jet Program is officially dead, and the only thing that Porter can look to is the runway extension (RESA, if approved) and Pre-Clearance (pending the ratification of the USMCA/NAFTA); allowing them to got a little further, and into main hubs as opposed to 'secondary' airports (think ORD instead of MDW, JFK instead of EWR, DCA instead of IAD).

The other factor is the "Retention Bonus" that will be paid out in Oct 2020. If there's no movement at Porter, I'd venture that there will a few to collect the bonus and then look for gainful employment/career advancement elsewhere.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Mapleflt wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:21 pm How much is the retention bonus, the Feds will take their slice
The Bonus is 6 months base salary (plus applicable CPI/COLA bump Jan 2020) based on your years of service in the position you hold.
*** Note*** Bonus was for those on the property as of Spring 2018.

For example:

A newly hired FO in March 2017, 3 years YOS as FO, will get approx 28,000$ gross.
A newly upgraded Capt in 2017, Year 3 YOS, will get approx 42,000$ gross.
A Captain that's been around for a while, at 6 Years YOS, will get approx 46,000$ gross
A Captain that's been around since the start of Porter, 13 YOS, will get 52,100$ gross

Payout will be made, and the Feds will take their cut; however Pilots can dump it into the company sponsored RRSP without taking a hit.

BaldChewbacca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BaldChewbacca »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:19 pm
Mapleflt wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:21 pm How much is the retention bonus, the Feds will take their slice
The Bonus is 6 months base salary (plus applicable CPI/COLA bump Jan 2020) based on your years of service in the position you hold.
*** Note*** Bonus was for those on the property as of Spring 2018.

For example:

A newly hired FO in March 2017, 3 years YOS as FO, will get approx 28,000$ gross.
A newly upgraded Capt in 2017, Year 3 YOS, will get approx 42,000$ gross.
A Captain that's been around for a while, at 6 Years YOS, will get approx 46,000$ gross
A Captain that's been around since the start of Porter, 13 YOS, will get 52,100$ gross

Payout will be made, and the Feds will take their cut; however Pilots can dump it into the company sponsored RRSP without taking a hit.
Any idea if Porter has any intention on doing this bonus again? I believe it doesn't exist for new hires anymore unless I'm mistaken.

Return to “Porter Airlines”