Encore's reference calls suck

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Encore's reference calls suck

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

Look, I'm not a fan of any company that outsources parts of their HR and I'm sure a company like WestJet has enough candidates to vet these days that they could dedicate an intern or something nearly full time to the task of calling references. Instead they've contracted it out, and like most times this happens (I'm looking at you, Porter) the contractor either doesn't know or doesn't care about what they're doing.

Case in point: a couple calls I've had from Encore's reference folks have had me give clear, positive answers about the candidate only to have them ask me why I felt so negatively. I'm talking simple answers here like "Yes," just to get, "And why is it that you wouldn't hire them again?" I have no idea what they're doing on the other end, for all I know they're simultaneously offering text chat support for the cable company or something, but I've been startled by them getting my answers very, very wrong more than once. Makes me wonder what's being written that I'm not having read back for clarification. Maybe I'm overreacting but there are peoples' livelihoods at stake.

I'm no stranger to hearing from pilots' lawyers, such is my place in life, but I wonder if the folks at WJE are getting angry legal letters too. If there are any Encore managers reading this, well now you're aware of what's going on.
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Encore's reference calls suck

Post by 180 »

Perhaps a quick email or phone call to the WestJet HR department might be more beneficial than an AvCanada rant?

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

180 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:44 pm Perhaps a quick email or phone call to the WestJet HR department might be more beneficial than an AvCanada rant?
Sometimes public shaming works better to correct the actions of a multi-billion dollar company that should and could do better. Maybe Dave P has an answer... though he has been less than honest in the past.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Encore is not the only one affected by this, so if it is true, I think it is valuable information for applicants.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

seven-oh-nooo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:31 am Maybe I'm overreacting but there are peoples' livelihoods at stake.
Sounds like the OP is genuinely concerned about the future(s) of a couple of pilots he has given references for. And if that is the case, then do the right thing, take a couple of minutes, and send a quick email to Westjet and let them know your experience.

Public venting or ranting on an Internet forum might feel good for a few minutes, but doesn’t really go a long way to clear up a problem.

Perhaps it might end up in the right person’s inbox eventually, but there are definitely more professional and expeditious ways of solving a problem than an AvCanada rant.

Especially if you really do care about correcting the problem.

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

180 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:22 pm Especially if you really do care about correcting the problem.
This is kind of more Encore's problem than anyone's. Let's be honest, the folks who missed out because a reference was misquoted instead just went to Jazz, Porter, Sky Regional, Georgian, Transat, Sunwing, or somewhere else within a matter of weeks anyways.

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

Hello Everyone,

I 100% agree with OP. My instructor was in the same situation but was bailed out by reaching out to HR. They hire a third party company to do the calls and they suck.

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

Just demonstrates how much Encore values their Human "Resources". What a lack of respect for everyone involved.

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

I doubt the HR department knows about it. It was just brought up to their attention. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi Guys n Gals,

We still use the 3rd party from time to time.
In particular when we are jammed with hiring. Don’t forget up until recently, the 2 pilot recruiters are filling spots for all three companies. WestJet, Encore and Swoop. All while doing interviews, reviewing video interviews, reviewing cognitive results, reviewing back checks for security and doing interview invites.

Swoop only in the last couple weeks got their own recruiter and a budget was approved to bring on a coordinator for WestJet and Encore.

With that, not all references are and were, done with the 3rd party. With the new coordinator position coming into play - more will be done by them.

Regardless, it’s not the best - we know that (and knew that) despite what was said above, but we are working to improve that area.

All in all, the recruiters do a great job as do our pilot peers that sit in on the interviews.

Seven oh - you are always welcome to reach out to me directly if you wish. Pm me for contact information.

Take care
Dave

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Last edited by plausiblyannonymous on Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:24 am
you are always welcome to reach out to me directly if you wish.
I want a job with Encore!

1000+ hours, 800+ PIC :D
A bit uncouth...

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Blowin' In The Wind wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:14 am
plausiblyannonymous wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:24 am
A bit uncouth...
Yes, you are right.

The appropriate method of application would be through their website.

iFlyAero
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iFlyAero »

First of all, thank you OP for this post. I went through the Encore reference call process myself and here’s this post helped me through this.

My recommendation to anyone who is expecting a reference call from encore is: prep your references for this. After reading this post, I let my references know in advance that it is going to be a third party contacting them and it is going to be a shitty process. My references got the call the morning after I submitted their contact info on a third party website, so I advise you let your references know before you submit.

Other pointers:
- tell your references to not start the process unless they are ready to see it through in one go. One of my references had his call dropped and took several days after that to finish it because according to the third party’s policy, once a reference check has started, only the same person can finish it... so good luck waiting for schedules to align.

- those guys they are talking over the phone has very limited aviation knowledge, so tell your references to be patient. They will ask questions that are out of whack, and they certainly did to mine just as mentioned above (asking if they would hire me again immediately after my reference gives a positive speech about my performance)

- buy your references a gift once it is done, because I am. It’s a painful process that requires patience.

Best of luck!

Return to “WestJet Encore”