Part time float jobs?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Part time float jobs?

Post by marakii »

Hello,
Just trying to find out if there is such a thing as a part time float job anywhere from 2 to 4 days a week?

Interested in one of these , thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Part time float jobs?

Post by FishermanIvan »

MAYBE with one of the big operators on the west coast, but probably not with anyone else. It's usually go go go from May to October.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

FishermanIvan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:38 am MAYBE with one of the big operators on the west coast, but probably not with anyone else. It's usually go go go from May to October.
I figured that, my last stint up north ten years ago it was go go go

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

I fly 1 to 3 days a week. Great gig for an old pilot. Also high Arctic lodges. Incredible fishing and hunting. Not part time, but short season.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

Lost Lake wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 am I fly 1 to 3 days a week. Great gig for an old pilot. Also high Arctic lodges. Incredible fishing and hunting. Not part time, but short season.
Thanks for the info, I’m an older guy (50s) looking for a part time float gig. I don’t have a lot of float time (100 hours) but not afraid to work. My last gig I spent 8 to 10 hours doing non flying jobs and 1 hour flying.

I’ll do a road trip , that’s how I got the job.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

Lost Lake wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 am I fly 1 to 3 days a week. Great gig for an old pilot. Also high Arctic lodges. Incredible fishing and hunting. Not part time, but short season.
Thanks for the info, I’m an older guy (50s) looking for a part time float gig. I don’t have a lot of float time (100 hours) but not afraid to work. My last gig I spent 8 to 10 hours doing non flying jobs and 1 hour flying.

I’ll do a road trip , that’s how I got the job.

Vern
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vern »

You might be able to find someone needing part time help on the dock and maybe occasional flying if they have a 185 or something.

Around here in NWO there are quite a few part timers flying but they are all high time guys flying Otters and bigger stuff like that.

A 100 hour float pilot normally needs quite a bit of babysitting and for the amount of time I would have to invest in a pilot like you I would need you to be full time. Definitely wish you luck though.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

Vern wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:30 pm You might be able to find someone needing part time help on the dock and maybe occasional flying if they have a 185 or something.

Around here in NWO there are quite a few part timers flying but they are all high time guys flying Otters and bigger stuff like that.

A 100 hour float pilot normally needs quite a bit of babysitting and for the amount of time I would have to invest in a pilot like you I would need you to be full time. Definitely wish you luck though.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. So basically I don’t have a whole lot of success in finding any kind of part time float job. Oh well I’ll keep trying throughout the year and hope.

Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Vsquared »

Vern wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:30 pm You might be able to find someone needing part time help on the dock and maybe occasional flying if they have a 185 or something.

What are the odds of low hour pilots getting float jobs these days ?
I'm working on my CPL with the dream of becoming a bush pilot and have been pondering getting my float rating. However, the 50 hour float courses are a pretty penny.

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

I’m not entirely convinced the 50 hour course is needed. Maybe some operators require it for insurance, but many don’t. If you have the basic rating I’m sure you’d have no problem getting a dock job with a company that has a small aircraft and they would teach you heaps with the newly minted “license to learn”. At this point in the economy anyway.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”