Which flight school is good from Zero to complete ATPL at one place!!!

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

tony77
Rank 0
Rank 0

Which flight school is good from Zero to complete ATPL at one place!!!

Post by tony77 »

Dear All,
I am seeking opinion from you guys regarding the selection of flight schools (probably best 2 to 3 schools) in canada which is offering full course upto ATPL (incl. theory exams preparation and required hours) at single place rather than changing the one school to other.

If anyone who is currently studying like this, please let me know and approx fees based on current scenario.

Any other opinion too, pls share.

Best Regards,
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Which flight school is good from Zero to complete ATPL at one place!!!

Post by Bede »

That's not quite how it works. You don't go to a flying school to get ATPL hours. You get a CPL and get a job thereby building the required experience.

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Any school that does multi ifr training... Do your CPL, get an instructor rating, then start teaching multi students, get your ATPL. I mean, if you really wanna instruct for that long and not get any real world experience, go for it.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Moncton Flight College will give you the full package, all the way from PPL to Frozen ATPL, but NOT the flight hours. The flight hours needed to have the actual licence issued will be far more than any school will offer you. Any flight school you go to may give you the necessary knowledge, but the experience for the ATPL will have to come from your first job.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

youhavecontrol wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:05 pm from PPL to Frozen ATPL, but NOT the flight hours. The fl
What on earth is a “frozen ATPL”???

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:49 pm
youhavecontrol wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:05 pm from PPL to Frozen ATPL, but NOT the flight hours. The fl
That’s the one for when you haul pop and chips in January and the Janitrol kicks the bucket, I think.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

lownslow wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:10 pm
That’s the one for when you haul pop and chips in January and the Janitrol kicks the bucket, I think.
LMAO!! :lol:

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

It's part of an integrated flight training program (at least they call it "frozen"), which allows you to complete your CPL, Group 1, and write the SARON and SAMRA, and then you are allowed 5 years, I believe, to get the hour requirements in your log book to apply. If you did not go through an integrated training program, you cannot apply for the ATPL unless you've completed your Group 1 or IPC in a multi aircraft within the previous 12 months of applying, and written the SARON and SAMRA in the previous 24 months. ..so the 'Frozen' license allows you to just build your hours without having to demonstrate the knowledge again later. You pretty much have the license requirements on graduation... you just need a few more hours to un-lock it.

I never did the integrated program, so I had to meet the requirements old-school.. and it's a pain in the butt having to do an IPC in-aircraft instead of a simulator just to be able to apply for the ATPL.

PilotStudy55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PilotStudy55 »

youhavecontrol wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:05 pm Moncton Flight College will give you the full package, all the way from PPL to Frozen ATPL, but NOT the flight hours. The flight hours needed to have the actual licence issued will be far more than any school will offer you. Any flight school you go to may give you the necessary knowledge, but the experience for the ATPL will have to come from your first job.
Hey Buddy! Have you gone to MFC? Considering my options for the summer and while it does have a good recognition and not too much bad is said about it--really feel like they're playing a marketing game with the ATPL (providing 197 hours). The extra lessons add thousands and thousands onto the bill and I'm thinking why hurry to a halt? Plus, what is everyone else doing who does not take such a class...they study their ass off, watch videos, and get experience and seem to be doing alright. Just wondering if you (or others) have gone to MFC and give me your 2 cents!

Thanks everybody

Matt

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

PilotStudy55 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:43 pm
Hey Buddy! Have you gone to MFC? Considering my options for the summer and while it does have a good recognition and not too much bad is said about it--really feel like they're playing a marketing game with the ATPL (providing 197 hours). The extra lessons add thousands and thousands onto the bill and I'm thinking why hurry to a halt? Plus, what is everyone else doing who does not take such a class...they study their ass off, watch videos, and get experience and seem to be doing alright. Just wondering if you (or others) have gone to MFC and give me your 2 cents!

Thanks everybody

Matt
I was not a student there, but was an instructor for a while. I am not sure how their integrated program compares to other schools that offer a similar package. From what I witnessed, the training was expensive, but definitely gave students looking to go into airlines an edge and helped them get the ATPL requirements really fast. The program has a lot of ground school training, which is a requirement of the integrated program, and it also has a lot more time-building instrument flights. The hardest ATPL requirement to get initially is the night x/c and instrument hours, but MFC has a system to build those hours quickly... even if it means just flying with a 'buddy pilot' in circles with the hood on throughout the night (we trusted them to actually practice the instrument maneuvers with their friends, but who knows how much that happened). MFC also has multi-crew and high-performance training in their King Air 200 simulators. I think it's definitely given students an edge when it comes to being familiar with two-crew SOP's and turbine operations.

To be fair, every school has some part of their curriculum that is excessive, but beneficial.

I came to MFC with a class 4 instructor rating. I worked there and saved $ and studied until I could afford to do the Multi rating and Group 1, then later I wrote the SARON and SAMRA exams. I saved probably about $10000 by just doing the training with an instructor friend and renting the aircraft at an employee rate, skipping the regular syllabus. It still took a long time for me to get the ATPL signed off because I didn't have those instrument hours, which become extremely hard to get when you can't afford to rent a Diamond and have a friend ride along with you for 25 hours.

TLDR: MFC is expensive, but gets it done faster. The route I took was cheaper, but took a lot longer.

Return to “Flight Training”