Is this the new norm???

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

tony77
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is this the new norm???

Post by tony77 »

I am racing with the deadline (the INRAT expiration date sometime next year).
Among the unfavorable factors such as taking time offs from my "day job" to fly, weather delays, the aircraft availability due to technical issues, etc.; I notice most students fly with a different instructor at every flight (myself included).
How do people learn properly like this? I mean it's good to gain different perspectives on flying but not at the point where I can't tell the different between the prop and the mixture.
I am kind of "shopping" for a flight school where I can train properly but no avail. Is this the new norm or a business as usual?
I apologize in advance if I am venting here. Thank you for any feedback or perhaps a pointer to any FTU that doesn't adhere to such a practice.Tweakbox https://www.happywheels.vip/ https://vlc.onl/
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by tony77 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Is this the new norm???

Post by lownslow »

Nowadays it must be really hard when your flight training has to be secondary to what you're doing to fund your flight training. With the revolving door for flight instructors who will only hang around for a couple months this is sort of inevitable and while the obvious answer is rigorous supervision of each student's progress by a Class 2 instructor, I hear there aren't any of those left either.

Good luck!

ausbtav
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ausbtav »

Yep its the new normal. Students have to take whatever they can get and wherever they can get it because flight schools can't hang on to instructors long enough (especially those who can do Multi + IFR). The rapid upward movement in the industry + really low pay for instructors (most have to live with their parents) is causing this situation.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

How would different instructors change the prop and mixture?

Look, at the point you’re doing an INRAT, you should be well beyond the point of needing the same instructor every time. There’s a syllabus, there’s a PTR, and you should know how to study and absorb information.

There never was a surplus of instructors for the INRAT vs the tons of Class 4s looking to get their solo and flight test recommends.

You might have to go with the flow, or make yourself more available to get it done.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Same folks incessantly complaining about low wages also complaining instructors won't stay put to train pilots at low wages.

Amusing.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

The market determines wages.

Return to “Flight Training”