Sukhoi Superjet on fire Moscow

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Alav
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Sukhoi Superjet on fire Moscow

Post by Alav »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:26 pm Lock the bins with the seatbelt sign. Not supposed to be in there anyway.

Once that becomes common knowledge, people will stop trying to open them.
Hahaha, no then they'll delay longer as they try to use anything in reach to pry open and argue with the flight crew that they're not leaving without their carry-on.
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.economist.com/gulliver/2019 ... i-superjet

If we can stop these important threads from being highjacked ---- idiot pax certainly didn't cause this crash -- the more important questions revolve around:

Safety issues with this jet?

Why didn't the flight crew dump fuel?

Why would an aircraft go up in flames like that, even after a hard landing?

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

I doubt the SSJ has any facilities to jettison fuel.

Let's be honest - the pilot completely stuffed the landing even if in 'Direct' law (also newsflash - every Airbus landing is in Direct law below 50ft anyways - I imagine the Sukhoi is similar).

Typical Russian disastrous conclusion that probably could have been solved by slowing the f down and a little bit of CRM

bald seagull
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bald seagull »

59768469_10219758125009002_6877244240154329088_n.jpg
59768469_10219758125009002_6877244240154329088_n.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

bald seagull wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:32 pm 59768469_10219758125009002_6877244240154329088_n.jpg
The smoke is the killer.

Selfish assholes abound around the world, generally the flying public are a bunch of idiots. This grabbing of the carryon during an evacuation is never going to be fixed. Throw in panic from the rest of the passengers who didn't bother to pay attention to the safety briefing or their surroundings and I'm surprised anyone made it off.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:06 pm https://www.economist.com/gulliver/2019 ... i-superjet

If we can stop these important threads from being highjacked ---- idiot pax certainly didn't cause this crash -- the more important questions revolve around:

bald seagull wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:32 pm 59768469_10219758125009002_6877244240154329088_n.jpg
Heliian wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:11 am Selfish assholes abound around the world, generally the flying public are a bunch of idiots. This grabbing of the carryon during an evacuation is never going to be fixed. Throw in panic from the rest of the passengers who didn't bother to pay attention to the safety briefing or their surroundings and I'm surprised anyone made it off.

Stop HIGHjacking the thread guys. The reason for more pax dying post-crash than there should have been has nothing to do with the accident and kids might get trampled if we discuss it. We need to figure out "important things" like why a plane would go up in flames after a hard landing. And maybe how to spell HIGHjack. :roll: Ahhh, the joys of rookies posting on a professional pilot thread.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

pelmet wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:15 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:06 pm https://www.economist.com/gulliver/2019 ... i-superjet

Heliian wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:11 am Selfish assholes abound around the world, generally the flying public are a bunch of idiots. This grabbing of the carryon during an evacuation is never going to be fixed. Throw in panic from the rest of the passengers who didn't bother to pay attention to the safety briefing or their surroundings and I'm surprised anyone made it off.

Stop HIGHjacking the thread guys. The reason for more pax dying post-crash than there should have been has nothing to do with the accident and kids might get trampled if we discuss it. We need to figure out "important things" like why a plane would go up in flames after a hard landing. And maybe how to spell HIGHjack. :roll: Ahhh, the joys of rookies posting on a professional pilot thread.

This so called “pro” thinks you to be a sad person.

I’m also glad to not associate with someone that wouldn’t help their fellow passenger but rather advocate assaulting them instead.

Yeah, I’m looking at you Pelmet.

Advocating trampling on your fellow seat mates while the seatbelt sign is on?!?

Who’s the “pro” now and why does that even matter?

TPC

Last edited by TeePeeCreeper on Fri May 10, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:28 pm

I’m also glad to not associate with someone that wouldn’t help their fellow passenger but rather advocate assaulting them instead.

Yeah, that’s you. Advocating trampling on your fellow seat mates while the seatbelt is on.

TPC
Hey, there's a good one. Your airliner is on fire. A pax is blocking many people from escaping because they are trying to get their luggage. As seconds go by, more and more of the blocked pax will die and TPC is advocating to "help their fellow passenger". Maybe you could help all the passengers get their bags. Thanks buddy, my other bag is near the back, could you go against the flow and get that bag too.

Oh well, there are always a few who defend drunk drivers, criminals, etc as the victims.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

pelmet wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Yeah, that’s you. Advocating trampling on your fellow seat mates while the seatbelt is on.

TPC
Hey, there's a good one. Your airliner is on fire. A pax is blocking many people from escaping because they are trying to get their luggage. As seconds go by, more and more of the blocked pax will die and TPC is advocating to "help their fellow passenger". Maybe you could help all the passengers get their bags. Thanks buddy, my other bag is near the back, could you go against the flow and get that bag too.

Oh well, there are always a few who defend drunk drivers, criminals, etc as the victims.
Wow. Just wow.

Left speechless,

TPC

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 pm
pelmet wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 pm

TPC

Wow. Just wow.

Left speechless,

TPC
What about being left postless?

Anyways, back to responding to thoughtful posts...

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=aOnbL_1557230227

Here is a video of the accident. A passenger is obviously in distress. One has to wonder if that pax took in some extra breaths of smoke because of the person in front of them that blocking the exit to get that large piece of luggage that can be seen on the ground nearby.Must be important stuff in it.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Must be important stuff in it.
Therein lies a lot of the problems. People are selfish and value their easily replaceable belongings more than strangers' lives. They are willing to place others in danger if it means retrieving their toothbrush and iPad. Airlines should be compelled to stop charging for every checked bag and start enforcing the carry on bag size limits (which should be smaller: no bigger than a ladies handbag or a laptop case) so that all the sweatpants and flip flop wearing mouth breathers don't feel compelled to, and are not allowed to bring all of their "valuables" in the cabin with them. If the morons want their belongings so badly, let them endanger only themselves and run into the belly of a burning plane they just evacuated, to get them.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

shimmydampner wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:41 am
Therein lies a lot of the problems. People are selfish and value their easily replaceable belongings more than strangers' lives. They are willing to place others in danger if it means retrieving their toothbrush and iPad. Airlines should be compelled to stop charging for every checked bag and start enforcing the carry on bag size limits (which should be smaller: no bigger than a ladies handbag or a laptop case) so that all the sweatpants and flip flop wearing mouth breathers don't feel compelled to, and are not allowed to bring all of their "valuables" in the cabin with them. If the morons want their belongings so badly, let them endanger only themselves and run into the belly of a burning plane they just evacuated, to get them.
Your mental state is questionable.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Ok.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

plhought wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:31 pm I doubt the SSJ has any facilities to jettison fuel.
Thank you. Was genuinely curious as saw that point raised in an article.

I did not know some jet aircraft cannot jettison fuel.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

shimmydampner wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:41 am
That's half the problem right there, those flip flop wearing mouthbreathers in sweatpants :lol: are to friggin cheap to pay the fee to check an extra bag so they lug this giant bag onto the plane that they have no reason to need in the cabin and they can barely fit them in the overhead while all the time there is a half empty cargo area underneath. I've never understood why airlines charge to check the bag but not carry it on. Either charge for both checked and carry on or charge for neither of them. The bag is still on the plane either way you slice it, so what difference does it make in the end?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Because if you carry it on, it's part of your carry-on weight allowance. Ya know, everybody weighs 200lbs. If it's checked, it gets weighed and adds to the baggage weight. The less baggage weight there is, the more cargo they can carry, the more passengers, excess baggage, etc. Basically more revenue potential when they force the crap into the cabin.

Plus they don't have to pay rampies to load carry-on bags.

Not that I agree with it, but that's the way it works.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

For a short trip I can bring a carry-on, pay $0 and be off the plane and into an Uber right away. Or I can check it, pay $25 and wait 20+ minutes at the carousel, and that's if it didn't get lost or damaged along the way.

Kind of a no brainer why people might bring a carry-on.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:03 pm
Because if you carry it on, it's part of your carry-on weight allowance. Ya know, everybody weighs 200lbs. If it's checked, it gets weighed and adds to the baggage weight. The less baggage weight there is, the more cargo they can carry, the more passengers, excess baggage, etc. Basically more revenue potential when they force the crap into the cabin.

Plus they don't have to pay rampies to load carry-on bags.

Not that I agree with it, but that's the way it works.
Yup. Airlines want it that way. So do grocery stores. Self serve everything. Personally I hate that model.

They would have pax load bags themselves and eliminate flight attendants If they could.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

They should just start weighing passengers at the ticket booth, there is already a scale right there, then if you only weigh 160 ibs you get to check your 40 lb bag for free. The over 200 pounders would have to pay extra for their own rump. Like that would go over well, lawyers would be having a field day.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

A346Dude wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:28 pm Kind of a no brainer why people might bring a carry-on.
Of course it's a no brainer WHY they might bring a carry on. No one is questioning the why. The point is that perhaps it makes more sense to do everything possible to restrict people's access to their belongings if it turns out that easy access to their stupid belongings is what endangers other people's lives in an emergency. The fact is that safety generally panders to the lowest common denominator imbeciles (which are over-represented on the average flight) so perhaps we should treat cabin safety the same. MAYBE, just MAYBE this is the exact time and place where playing to the morons makes sense.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”