Otter / Beaver Midair Ketchikan

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Otter / Beaver Midair Ketchikan

Post by geodoc »

---------- ADS -----------

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Otter / Beaver Midair Ketchikan

Post by '97 Tercel »

Brutal

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I am so happy to read all the fatalities were on board of the independent flight. Vital information.

Disgusting :x

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

digits_ wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:15 pm I am so happy to read all the fatalities were on board of the independent flight. Vital information.

Disgusting :x
I thought I was being too sensitive when I blew my stack reading that. Guess I wasn’t alone

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

All that's missing is these implied words:

Princess statement: "if you book your tours with us, this wouldn't happen. Independent tours are dangerous".

Am I the only one who absolutely despises PR departments who rush to place their corporate spin on anything that happens?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 am All that's missing is these implied words:

Princess statement: "if you book your tours with us, this wouldn't happen. Independent tours are dangerous".

Am I the only one who absolutely despises PR departments who rush to place their corporate spin on anything that happens?
I agree with you. Speaking with experience doing several cruise vacations over past 20 years, you get nickel’d and dime’d to death, gratuities etc.,etc. Their PR is always pushing services, much in your face(depending on the Line) in our experience to the point we gave up doing cruise trips. To me the statement on “ booking tours with us..... “ has liability written all over it and it will no doubt interesting to hear what will transpire, sad as this accident is. This is the second major accident in very recent time with fatalities for cruise passengers on VFR sightseeing tours in and around glaciers/mountains and this will reverberate through out the cruise industry no doubt.

So very, very sad to hear 😥😥😥.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 am All that's missing is these implied words:

Agree with you on that.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

The cruise industry uses excursion providers based on the amount of profit they can take. Period. They only care about passenger safety after something bad happens. These operators could be terrible, or they could have the best SMS in the industry, but that won't matter a lick. Princess will never do business with them again because of this.

adster1989
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by adster1989 »

Very sad. Randy Sullivan was the pilot of the beaver who passed on in the accident. Myself and girlfriend with him for a float tour last year during vacation and he was a great person and a great pilot. May he Rest In Peace.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Mountain Air Service's site is locked, but here an archived link to info about the Beaver pilot / MAS's owner:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190402230 ... com/about/

Looks like he's been 'around the block' re: SE AK float time.

I've not found any info re: the Taquan pilot. Taquan has had rather than what would seem to be it's fair share of bent metal in the last few years:

https://www.ktva.com/story/40475131/taq ... ast-alaska

edit ......................

Looks, according to what the NTSB has so far, the Otter may well have descended into the (possibly) straight & level Beaver.

https://www.krbd.org/2019/05/14/ntsb-pl ... 3300-feet/

DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

TCAS 1 too expensive or impractical for this type of operation? Sad.

adster1989
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by adster1989 »

Unless it changed, I know for a fact that the beaver had an operational TCAS as of May 2018 when I flew in it

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Even a basic TCAD would provide greater situational awareness in that operating environment. I'm not saying this was a factor in the accident but one problem in remote areas is many pilots are not accustomed to using transponders, nor do they care if the thing is inoperative.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Maybe have been true back in the inky void of the past, but since as far back as 1990 anyway, if you want to fly into "town" for fuel, groceries, weed, booze, etc. (Ketchikan, Sitka, Petersburg, Juneau, Anchorage, hell, even Cordova) you'll be needing mode 'c'. I haven't flown up there for 12 or so years so can't say what the latest requirements are re: transponders. The ADS-B system with the sat-based in / out sounds like what remote environments like the KTN Misty tour route could use sooner rather then later.
Capt. Underpants wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:38 am Even a basic TCAD would provide greater situational awareness in that operating environment. I'm not saying this was a factor in the accident but one problem in remote areas is many pilots are not accustomed to using transponders, nor do they care if the thing is inoperative.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Oh boy, I'd imagine that their AOC is shot with a blow torch by the FAA tomorrow morning:

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Float ... 92071.html

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

geodoc wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 pm Oh boy, I'd imagine that their AOC is shot with a blow torch by the FAA tomorrow morning:

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Float ... 92071.html [quote\]

Sad. Back to back sad. I’ve had dealings with them and they seemed to me to a great outfit. Friendly and most helpful yank bubbas to a guy who flew up and tied his boss’s -2 to their dock for the day.

My heart goes out to the boys and girls at the Taquan Air team.

My sincere condolences,

TPC

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

geodoc wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 pm Oh boy, I'd imagine that their AOC is shot with a blow torch by the FAA tomorrow morning:

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Float ... 92071.html
Well, Alaska is the deadliest place to fly. It's pretty crazy that they had another fatal accident but I don't think their aoc will be pulled.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Didn't Simpson Air have crashes(one non-fatal) a couple of years ago. Did their regulator pull their AOC?

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

Depending on how far back you're thinking, I don't believe that is accurate. Prior to last summer, you would have to go back about 10 years to find Simpson Air's last incident. You might be thinking of Wolverine Air which has had 3 in the last 6 or 7 years. Last summer both companies had one accident each on back to back days.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”