10 years ago today Colgan Air 3407

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

10 years ago today Colgan Air 3407

Post by LennyLeonard »

Already 10 years passed... Are we any closer to a 1500 hr rule here?
---------- ADS -----------

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: 10 years ago today Colgan Air 3407

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

LennyLeonard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:40 am Already 10 years passed... Are we any closer to a 1500 hr rule here?
1500 hr rule for ?

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:57 am
LennyLeonard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:40 am Already 10 years passed... Are we any closer to a 1500 hr rule here?
1500 hr rule for ?
It was a recommandation to have 1500+ hr pilots in airline cockpits, and not allow CPL to fly. It is still not in place, and I doubt with the current market that it will become.

They did implement an additional ATP training that you have to attend before doing your actual initial ground school. Swayne Martin explains it very well in one of his videos.

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

This always confused me. I realize that this rule was devised as a result of this crash. However neither of the pilots involved in this crash had less than 1500 hours.

Captain had an ATPL with 3379 hours
F/O had a CPL with 2244 hours

Now someone is going to tell me that had she written her ATPL test this crash would never had happened......

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The requirement lowered the supply of qualified pilots. Pay went up as a result. Now pilots could afford to live in their base and avoid fatiguing commutes.

Not sure if that was the intent, but that has been the result.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

An instructor with 1500 hrs can get an ATPL.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Crash happened cause of fatigue... How those new regs coming?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Hangry wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:34 pm An instructor with 1500 hrs can get an ATPL.
Absolutely. And I was one of them decades ago.

I was fortunate enough to not put a scratch on a person or a plane, so atpl or not does not strike me as a barometer to safety.

Both pilots had sufficient hours. Something else, and circumstances, had lots to do with the unfortunate outcome.

I'll leave it at that.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Perhaps the low pay and resulting commute was a factor -- for both? But no, pilots are overpaid.... :roll:

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Funny how nobody has yet mentioned that the cause of the crash was the crew’s inability to recognize and recover from a stall.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I always thought that was implied.

Why couldn't they recover from the stall? Fatigue. Why were they fatigued? Stupid long commute. Why was the commute so bad? Low pay, couldn't afford a crash pad at base.

The captain's training history came into play as well.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Didn't the FO retract the flaps early too? Training, experience, fatigue... she worked as a barista in Seattle and took like 4 flights to make her commute that morning...

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Probable Cause
​The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the captain's inappropriate response to the activation of the stick shaker, which led to an aerodynamic stall from which the airplane did not recover. Contributing to the accident were (1) the flight crew's failure to monitor airspeed in relation to the rising position of the lowspeed cue, (2) the flight crew's failure to adhere to sterile cockpit procedures, (3) the captain's failure to effectively manage the flight, and (4) Colgan Air's inadequate procedures for airspeed selection and management during approaches in icing conditions.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

At first indication of a stall the Captain pulled back on the controls and kept pulling overriding the stick push. I think he thought it was a tail stall due to ice.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

av8ts wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:00 am At first indication of a stall the Captain pulled back on the controls and kept pulling overriding the stick push. I think he thought it was a tail stall due to ice.
Yeah the dude who failed almost every check ride in his career let his auto pilot level him off all the way to the stick shaker and yet there's still people who thinks he was reacting to a tailplane stalll. :roll:

Perhaps you should read the CVR transcript and check out his file ...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

daedalusx wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:35 pm
av8ts wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:00 am At first indication of a stall the Captain pulled back on the controls and kept pulling overriding the stick push. I think he thought it was a tail stall due to ice.
Yeah the dude who failed almost every check ride in his career let his auto pilot level him off all the way to the stick shaker and yet there's still people who thinks he was reacting to a tailplane stalll. :roll:

Perhaps you should read the CVR transcript and check out his file ...
I didn’t say he was reacting to a tail stall I said I think he believed it was a tail stall and that’s why he pulled on the controls.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

And he’s saying you’re giving the captain too much credit here. What kind of stall probably didn’t cross their minds.

farfale
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by farfale »

I'm very surprised how pilots in North America are shocked every time they see 250 hours pilot. This is a common practice in almost every country around the world except in the US and a little bit in Canada and safety hasn't been an issue overseas.

The FAA was just hiding behind the fact that the working conditions were very bad, to say the least. And that the Colgan accident has nothing to do with that

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

your suggestion that a pilot out of the Calgary flying club and one that comes through the Lufthansa cadet program at 250hrs are the same quality is laughable military pilots airmanship is shit at that level but they can survive combat

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

There is no magic number of flying hours that equates to being am experienced pilot.

5000 hours of straight and level at 35000+ feet really doesn’t mean that pilot would have a clue on how to handle an unscripted emergency. Some pilots do really swell in the sim. Not so good on the line.

250 hour pilot from military Vs 250 pilot out of College? Not even close.
Yadda, yaddda, there are always exceptions, don’t get your knickers in a knot if you were hired with 250 hours at an airline. Of flown with good and bad pilots from all different levels of experience.

Mandating 1500 hrs might look good in front of cameras , but really wouldn’t do anything to improve safety. Fatigue kills, has killed, and will kill again. Every one, and I mean every one, of my boneheaded airplane mistakes has happen after 11 p.m. home based time at the tail end of a duty day. Last summer, during roughly 90% of my late night Atlantic crossings, one of the pilots had to take controlled rest.

Canada’s fatigue regulations are still some of the weakest regulations on this planet.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”