IFR Flight Test questions

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

gear
Rank 0
Rank 0

IFR Flight Test questions

Post by gear »

Hello,

I recently passed my INRAT exam and am now starting to work on my actual flight training. I will be using my own aircraft, a Cessna P210 with a Garmin G600 PFD / MFD, a GTN 750 and a GNS 430. I just have a few questions regarding the flight test as it relates to this equipment.

When doing a hold, my GTN 750 has the capability to build the hold on the fix, inputting the direction of the hold, the inbound leg, times, etc. Once programmed, it then projects the pattern on the G600 and the GTN tracks the times for the inbound and outbound legs. Is it acceptable to do it this way during the test and just fly the pattern on the G600, or is the examiner going to want me to not build the hold that way and just figure it out manually, manually time the legs and not use the G600 to fly it graphically?

For the non precision approach, my G600 / GTN 750 combo will provide vertical navigation assistance for guidance. Is it acceptable to use this for the constant decent technique they are looking for on the approach?

Anything other suggestions as to what I might expect with this sort of equipment would be appreciated. (ie - could I expect them to simulate a full GTN 750 failure and revert to the 430?)

Finally, my autopilot is acting up. I'm trying to get it working correctly before the test however its an old Cessna 400B autopilot and I'm not certain how long it will take to get it repaired. If I cannot get it repaired before I'm ready for the flight test, should I delay the test if I'm ready, or is it fine to take the test if its not functioning? I'm looking into new autopilots (STEC 3100) however I likely will not be able to get that installed before I'm ready for a flight test.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Garth
---------- ADS -----------

Tractor72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: IFR Flight Test questions

Post by Tractor72 »

I see this was written almost a month ago and you likely already did your flight test, but I'll add my 2 cents anyway...
My interpretation is that you're assessed on your ability to use the equipment in your aircraft. In other words, if you have the ability to program in a hold, by all means do it! (But know how to do it without that feature as well) In my case the examiner didn't fail any nav equipment; only an engine, so that one approach is flown single engine with no autopilot. However there can be quite a variance from one examiner to another...
I'd be interested to hear how it went!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Is it acceptable to use this for the constant decent technique they are looking for on the approach?
I would say, yes. If you don't use it, then the examiner will probably want to know why you weren't using the systems you have available. BUT they will want to see that you are verifying carefully in your head that the data the GPS is presenting you matches the correct approach profile, and are ready to deviate from the GPS guidance if your own checks show that the correct vertical profile is something else.
Finally, my autopilot is acting up. I'm trying to get it working correctly before the test however its an old Cessna 400B autopilot and I'm not certain how long it will take to get it repaired. If I cannot get it repaired before I'm ready for the flight test, should I delay the test if I'm ready, or is it fine to take the test if its not functioning?
The formal answer is that you're not supposed to be flying around with equipment that doesn't work properly. If you know something doesn't work you're obliged to write it in the journey log, and if it's not something required for flight, have it deactivated for instance by pulling and tying off the breaker and placarding the panel before the next flight (In another thread we can discuss if an AME needs to do that for you or if you can do it yourself.)

If your examiner is feeling uncharitable and you tell him or her that your AP doesn't work properly, he should ask if you've done the above, and if not, why you think the aircraft is airworthy.

If you decide to keep quiet about it ("the AP was working just fine last flight") then you can treat it's malfunction as one of your "system failures" on the test :-) :-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Interested anecdotally in your experience with the P210 and especially re maintenance

gear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gear »

Thanks for the responses guys - I guess the plan is to use the equipment as intended, but know what to do, and how to do it in the event of failure. No, I haven't gone for my flight test yet. This is a hobby for me (or rather my passion) but I have some other things going on in my life that prevent me from focusing on it 100%. I'm pretty close to being ready but still have a little honing to do. I'm hoping I'll be ready in the next 2-3 weeks at the absolute latest.

I did get the autopilot fixed, so I'm good there.

As far as the maintenance, it hasn't been too bad so far. The previous owner had about a $40K import bill 5 years ago, so its in pretty good shape. The P210 has a lot of parts that are no longer available, and so you need to be creative. I did need to replace a couple of gear door linkages this year, and they were $1700 ea,.... :roll:

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Every examiner is different,in my experience there will be failures so be ready to figure out hold entries without the help of the 750 & the 600.Also be able to fly the hold & approach without the autopilot just in case.
Best part is once you pass your renewals can be done in a redbird without having to demonstrate ability in the aircraft;unless of course you upgrade to a multi on your next renewal.

Daryl

gear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gear »

Thanks Daryl,

My instructor and I reviewed failures today of the GTN and the 600 and we’re going to do a flight Thursday to review again in the air.

G

gear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gear »

Had my flight test last week. All went reasonably well (I passed). No equipment failures but a couple of simulated emergencies - fire in cockpit and failed alternator. I hardly used the auto pilot other than while I was briefing my approach. Oral test on ground was pretty straight forward. Overall, it was easier than I was expecting. For CDA approach, he didn’t bother covering up my vertical guidance during it, but I had to explain in detail how it worked, what I was doing, etc. to demonstrate I knew exactly how to fly it if the vertical guidance was not working.

Garth

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

gear wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:53 pm Had my flight test last week. All went reasonably well (I passed). No equipment failures but a couple of simulated emergencies - fire in cockpit and failed alternator. I hardly used the auto pilot other than while I was briefing my approach. Oral test on ground was pretty straight forward. Overall, it was easier than I was expecting. For CDA approach, he didn’t bother covering up my vertical guidance during it, but I had to explain in detail how it worked, what I was doing, etc. to demonstrate I knew exactly how to fly it if the vertical guidance was not working.

Garth
Well done. :D :D :D

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Congrats Garth,you’ll enjoy the ifr side.

Daryl

Return to “Flight Training”