AVRO 100 First Officer or King Air 200 Captain

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Circle to land
Rank 1
Rank 1

AVRO 100 First Officer or King Air 200 Captain

Post by Circle to land »

Which one you will take for a 50 year old pilot?
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: AVRO 100 First Officer or King Air 200 Captain

Post by youhavecontrol »

I'd take the one that allows me to be home with my family the most, has the best company behind it, and pays enough to keep me relatively fat and happy.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Avro dude! 146 FTW.

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

You'll be flying the same routes, every day, with Summit. But you'll be home every night.

edit: sorry, I forgot North Caribou has 100's too.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

youhavecontrol wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:07 pm I'd take the one that allows me to be home with my family the most, has the best company behind it, and pays enough to keep me relatively fat and happy.
I always find this to be a puzzling comment amongst pilots. When you chose to be a pilot did you not understand what the job entailed? I mean since the advent of flight being a pilot has meant being away from home, its the very nature of the job. I'm not casting dispersions on your character, its just the major reason I became a pilot was to travel and see the world on someone else dime.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

Roar wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:50 am
youhavecontrol wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:07 pm I'd take the one that allows me to be home with my family the most, has the best company behind it, and pays enough to keep me relatively fat and happy.
I always find this to be a puzzling comment amongst pilots. When you chose to be a pilot did you not understand what the job entailed? I mean since the advent of flight being a pilot has meant being away from home, its the very nature of the job. I'm not casting dispersions on your character, its just the major reason I became a pilot was to travel and see the world on someone else dime.
There you go, that's the reason you became a pilot. How many kids do you have, and how many days a month/year/their whole childhood do you get to spend with them?

There are plenty of people who like being home, and plenty more who enjoy travelling but would still rather be home with their family. There are plenty of jobs that allow that.

Different strokes for different folks, ya know?

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

GoinVertical wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:41 am
There you go, that's the reason you became a pilot. How many kids do you have, and how many days a month/year/their whole childhood do you get to spend with them?

There are plenty of people who like being home, and plenty more who enjoy travelling but would still rather be home with their family. There are plenty of jobs that allow that.

Different strokes for different folks, ya know?
Very Few pilot jobs are you home all the time. Realistically it is a job that requires time spent away from home. Like I said it always puzzles me when I've run into pilots that bitch about being on the road, I always ask them what did they think it was going to be like? 9-5 Monday to Friday? good luck with that. and if that's what you want go find it a quit this job or occupation. How many kids do I have? None, never wanted any. Been happily married for 15 years. Now I understand my life choices are not for everyone but it is a pet peeve to fly with guys who whine about missing little Johnnys soccer game when they knew full well what this job if not career entails.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Well... I never missed any birthdays or soccer games because I chose a job that allowed me to stay at home.

Even my current job only gives me on average one overnight a month.

Peoples situation’s change, or their outlook changes after they’ve done it for a while, or they are doing it in hopes of it getting better either through seniority or career progression.

Do You think the wide body captain at Air Canada cares that he’s going to Taipei with a bunch of strangers for the 20th time in his career? Do you think he’s going to do three trips this month instead of two because he doesn’t care about being home and likes to travel?

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

And for the OP. Personally I’d take the King Air captain job. An RJ is a boutique aircraft these days. Really cool, but not a lot of them around and their days are numbered. Finding work is feast or famine so unless it’s on a sched or a long term contract (eg: nothing to do with seasonal work like fishing charters or resource work like crew changes) expect to go where the work is and spend lots of time away from home. An FO isn’t going to make a lot and if it’s a good captain spot you might be waiting a while to upgrade.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Roar wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:32 am Very Few pilot jobs are you home all the time.
Not to cast aspersions on you, but that's just not true outside of the airlines. There are a lot of really good jobs out there that have you home every night. If this person wants a job like that over spending days at a time in hotels living out of a wheelie bag, good for them. What's it to you?

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:32 am And for the OP. Personally I’d take the King Air captain job. An RJ is a boutique aircraft these days. Really cool, but not a lot of them around and their days are numbered. Finding work is feast or famine so unless it’s on a sched or a long term contract (eg: nothing to do with seasonal work like fishing charters or resource work like crew changes) expect to go where the work is and spend lots of time away from home. An FO isn’t going to make a lot and if it’s a good captain spot you might be waiting a while to upgrade.
I would have agreed with you two years ago, but more and more lately I'm seeing that 705 jet time is becoming way more of a limiting factor than multi-turbine PIC. If you've got the PIC for your ATPL, everything above and beyond doesn't matter the way it used to.
A lot of jobs I've seen lately require something like 500 hours on 705 jets for DECs; even Singapore Airlines wants 1500 hours on commercial jets for direct-entry first officers. It seems like if you want to go overseas for the gravy contracts, or go somewhere like SkyRegional or Swoop and bypass the FO wages, that jet time is invaluable.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

If you wanna stay in Canada take whichever gives you a better lifestyle. If you wanna go overseas take the jet job.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

It's funny because that statement doesn't hold up on every level of my career so far. I chose the career path I did based on what I understand about aviation... that for me, it would suck to be away from home.. therefore I chose a good flying job and career path where I didn't have to be gone so much. Been working very well so far.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Strictly speaking from a career perspective, 705 jet FO time isn't worth that much. PIC time is key. You'll get further ahead in the long run with PIC time as a general rule. As mentioned, the Avro 100/BAE-146 is a useless type rating. Many overseas operators still require Jet time on types over 40 metric tons. I think the Avro is just under this limit. FO time on a boutique jet isn't going to open as many doors outside of Canada as you'd think.
In my opinion, stick with the BE20 PIC time. The way AC and WS are hiring right now, that option will be open in anther year or so with a bunch more PIC time under your belt.

ragequit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ragequit »

Last edited by ragequit on Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

ragequit wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:08 pm Regarding being home every night. Everyone's desires and everyone's situation is different, so take this for what it's worth, but being home every night may not be the be-all-end-all that it's often made out to be.

I have two pre-school aged kids and a wife that works 9-5 Mon-Fri. I'm middling to low seniority at a 705 regional based in YVR and am gone usually 8 or 9 nights a month. My seniority would probably allow me to bring that down to 2 or 3 nights away if I wanted to. You'd think I would be the one who felt like I was missing out on time with the kids, but my wife is actually often jealous of how much quality time I get with them.

She works 9 hours a day with a 1 hour commute in traffic each way. She's gone just before or as they wake up, and right after she gets home it's time to make dinner, eat, do dishes and clean up a bit, maybe an hour with the kids before getting them in bed. Then another hour or so of time to yourself or more household stuff, go to sleep and do it all again the next day. Then the weekend comes and you try to cram a week's worth of activities into two days, taking the kids places and trying to get a few errands done along with everybody else.

Then there's me. I'm gone for 2 to 4 day stretches at times, but when I'm home I'm home with the kids all day. I'm able to walk them to school, go to their field trips and class parties (I do miss some if I don't happen to get those days off). I'm one of the few fathers in their class able to do this, most are working M-F. I can take them places on weekdays when the crowds aren't as bad. With some smart bidding, luck, and maybe some swaps, without even using vacation I can get nice stretches of days off to go camping (as long as the wife is able to get those days off, that is). Or bid reserve and work 5 days a month, then rest spent with the kids in the back yard or out for walks and bike rides. In that last case I have to be ready to go to work, but didn't get called very much. Often a night spent away is followed by a morning flight back home, arriving at 9am and having the rest of the day off.

I definitely miss some holidays. I think I was gone last Thanksgiving. But, I was able to bid reserve in December just to get a nice 4 day stretch of days off over Christmas this past year. I've been able to use guaranteed days off and vacation bidding to make sure I get everyone's birthdays and a few other important days off this year. I'm sure there will be some years that I do miss Christmas and birthdays, it's nearly guaranteed that I will. You just have to learn to make the most of what you can get, and take the good with the bad.

I can compare this to when I worked at a 704 also at YVR. I was only gone 2 or 3 days a month, but I found with a lot of those nights I was home, I may as well have been in a hotel room. Often finished work at 7 or 8pm. By the time I get home the kids are in bed. Have something quick to eat and barely see my wife, then in bed because I had to get up at 5 or 6am the next day for another day of work. May as well have been a hotel bed I slept in, and wouldn't have had an hour drive each way.

Again, this of course depends on the individual situation. I recognize that I'm at a good company that allows me to get all this. And of course there are times I've been sitting in a hotel wishing I was at home. I just wanted to point out that "Maximum nights at home" isn't always the best metric to evaluate a job. I thought that it would be for me before I went to the airlines, but turned out to be wrong. I also worked a M-F 9-5 desk job for 7 years and could never go back to that slog.
Yup.

Mine are 8,5 and 3. All of the above I agree with. Plus the few days away you can recharge your battery to give the spouse a break too. My wife stays home so it is all day every day for her.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

BE20 Driver wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 pm Strictly speaking from a career perspective, 705 jet FO time isn't worth that much. PIC time is key. You'll get further ahead in the long run with PIC time as a general rule. As mentioned, the Avro 100/BAE-146 is a useless type rating. Many overseas operators still require Jet time on types over 40 metric tons. I think the Avro is just under this limit. FO time on a boutique jet isn't going to open as many doors outside of Canada as you'd think.
In my opinion, stick with the BE20 PIC time. The way AC and WS are hiring right now, that option will be open in anther year or so with a bunch more PIC time under your belt.
AC values 705 jet time higher than 703, <12500 lbs PIC. If you've got an ATPL, they don't care if you have 5000 hours of King Air captain time, but they assign a lot of points for 705 jet time. Airlines don't care about PIC beyond the minimum, but most ask how much jet time applicants have.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

The OP is 50 years old. Do you think he’s really building time to go to Air Canada or overseas? Besides, almost everyone at the company I work for who had a captain spot on a King Air or 1900 went straight to mainline. I tick off a ton of boxes. Being ten years younger I might give it a try.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I missed the part about being 50 years old. That's getting close to the cutoff point for overseas work at some airlines. It also changes how one would look at going to AC. It probably stacks the deck towards the intangible - lifestyle.
Both jobs probably pay about the same and have similar benefits packages.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

iflyforpie wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:42 pm I tick off a ton of boxes.
Do tell.

Return to “General Comments”