Beware of Practicing Multiple RTO's

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Beware of Practicing Multiple RTO's

Post by pelmet »

You might be building up more and more heat exceeding what the brakes can handle.

C-GVMO, a privately operated Piper PA-60-602P Aerostar aircraft, was conducting multiple highspeed
taxi checks at Vancouver/Boundary Bay (CZBB), BC, following routine maintenance on the
brakes. During the checks, both main landing gear tires caught fire. The aircraft exited the runway,
onto a taxiway, and the operator of the aircraft suppressed the flames with an on board fire
extinguisher. ARFF responded, and fully extinguished the fire. Damage to the aircraft was limited
to the main landing gear brakes and tires.

It reminds me of an accident report I read a few years back about a guy in a 737 that did the same thing. Burnt the aircraft to the ground. But very strange things happen in Nigeria...……

https://aviation-safety.net/photo/7701/ ... 2K3-YU-ANU

https://aviation-safety.net/photo/7702/ ... 2K3-YU-ANU

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 19980222-0
---------- ADS -----------

nwopilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Beware of Practicing Multiple RTO's

Post by nwopilot »

What could be the purpose of “multiple” high speed taxi checks?

I remember being asked by mtc to do “one” high speed reject to glaze the new brakes of a cessna. I remember doing it at night time, and boy those brakes started to glow.

nwopilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nwopilot »

What could be the purpose of “multiple” high speed taxi checks?

I remember being asked by mtc to do “one” high speed reject to glaze the new brakes of a cessna. I remember doing it at night time, and boy those brakes started to glow.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Whenever the brake disks are replaced on our aircraft, maintenance has us do a rejected take-off to 'glaze' them. Not sure if it's to harden the metal or to burn off a protective coating or whatever, but they get us to do it whenever new ones are put on.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Whenever the brake disks are replaced on our aircraft, maintenance has us do a rejected take-off to 'glaze' them
I remember this was a specified procedure while flying the Cessna 303, it had something different about the brakes, and the pilot was supposed to apply maximum braking without sliding the tires when circumstances permitted (no pax, and you wanted to have fun on a dry runway).

I did have a back brake seize on my Audi once. At the traffic light, I saw the flames coming through the wheel spokes. Though I was carrying a fire extinguisher, coffee cups of water from the nearby ditch sufficed to extinguish it. That disc was glowing though!

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

I did my initial Citation PPC in the airplane with a TC inspector. We did the usual exercises including one touch and go and then a full stop landing. As we taxied back to the hangar, he remembered that I needed to do a flapless landing on the initial PPC and asked me to do one more circuit. I didn't think of the implications, so off we went. Of course the higher touchdown speed of a flapless landing took more braking than a normal one (also, this aircraft didn't have reversers). Everything went fine though (or so I thought) until we got back to the ramp. As he stepped out the door, there was a loud hiss and I felt the aircraft lean to the left. The fusible plug in the left main wheel tire had let go due to heat buildup. Before I could even think about grabbing a fan to cool the right hand brake, it too let go. We didn't get a brake fire, but those things were really, really hot.

And that was the day I learned the true meaning of brake energy limits.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

I remember going up HWY 11 by Washago once, and here were 3 guys standing next to a boat trailer wheel, by the highway, which was smoking and PISSING on it !!!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

corethatthermal wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:12 am I remember going up HWY 11 by Washago once, and here were 3 guys standing next to a boat trailer wheel, by the highway, which was smoking and PISSING on it !!!
There's a transferable solution. Hey I learned something!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:39 am I did my initial Citation PPC in the airplane with a TC inspector. We did the usual exercises including one touch and go and then a full stop landing. As we taxied back to the hangar, he remembered that I needed to do a flapless landing on the initial PPC and asked me to do one more circuit. I didn't think of the implications, so off we went. Of course the higher touchdown speed of a flapless landing took more braking than a normal one (also, this aircraft didn't have reversers). Everything went fine though (or so I thought) until we got back to the ramp. As he stepped out the door, there was a loud hiss and I felt the aircraft lean to the left. The fusible plug in the left main wheel tire had let go due to heat buildup. Before I could even think about grabbing a fan to cool the right hand brake, it too let go. We didn't get a brake fire, but those things were really, really hot.

And that was the day I learned the true meaning of brake energy limits.
Which is funny, because I think Citation's don't really have that much information published regarding brake energy limitations.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

digits_ wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:34 pm Which is funny, because I think Citation's don't really have that much information published regarding brake energy limitations.
You're right, there wasn't much but we did have a Turnaround Time chart in the QRH, which I didn't respect on that particular day.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:16 pm
corethatthermal wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:12 am I remember going up HWY 11 by Washago once, and here were 3 guys standing next to a boat trailer wheel, by the highway, which was smoking and PISSING on it !!!
There's a transferable solution. Hey I learned something!
Addition to post RTO checklist:
  • Pop a slide
  • Male adult passengers - kindly leave the aircraft to water the main gear

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:27 pm
digits_ wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:34 pm Which is funny, because I think Citation's don't really have that much information published regarding brake energy limitations.
You're right, there wasn't much but we did have a Turnaround Time chart in the QRH, which I didn't respect on that particular day.

Did you pass? :mrgreen:

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

BTD wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:45 pm Did you pass? :mrgreen:
Yes I did. Fortunately he told me I passed as we taxied back to the ramp and before the tires went flat. Otherwise, who knows? :oops:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:36 am
BTD wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:45 pm Did you pass? :mrgreen:
Yes I did. Fortunately he told me I passed as we taxied back to the ramp and before the tires went flat. Otherwise, who knows? :oops:
Probably the last time he did that :D

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

digits_ wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:16 am Probably the last time he did that :D
Probably, but that's because he moved on to greener pastures shortly after my PPC.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”