Where are 200HR wonders going these days?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Where are 200HR wonders going these days?

Post by shawnthesheep »

As the title says... Where are the low timers going?
---------- ADS -----------

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Where are 200HR wonders going these days?

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

shawnthesheep wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:44 am As the title says... Where are the low timers going?
Likely to the local Loblaws. There is very little movement at the moment. I'm an example, 6000+ hrs king air captain trying to land 705 position.

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:48 am
shawnthesheep wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:44 am As the title says... Where are the low timers going?
Likely to the local Loblaws. There is very little movement at the moment. I'm an example, 6000+ hrs king air captain trying to land 705 position.
I hope you're trooling

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Oh there’s movement. You’re just a lightweight like you said before.

To the OP, probably a lot of the low timers still go to entry level positions from what I have been hearing. I think just the wait times are either low or not really a factor right now.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

shawnthesheep wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:53 am
I hope you're trooling
Not at all. A lot think I am.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

You’re overqualified now, it’s too late.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

mixturerich wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:36 am
You’re overqualified now, it’s too late.
Blah blah blah

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

You’re a lightweight

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Hilroy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:37 am
You’re a lightweight
Okay lighterweight

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

It seems there are still many who want to do the "northern" experience and go to NWT, YK, NWO etc. I see way more waiting for that city gig at places like CMA/Pasco/KD Air etc. and unwilling to leave home than when I was at that stage 6-7 years ago. Back then 200 hours didn't even get you in the door at a scuzzy 703, you had to grind for that single engine job or ramp gig. I would say that these types just mentioned are more the outliers from college programs who want to fly smaller planes and pack on some actual experience and those who did schooling/training privately that do not have access to the low time regional jobs.

As for the majority of college program pilots, Jazz. And Wasaya/Bearskin with the Jazz program if they didn't cut the mustard at the interview at Jazz.
But from what I see, Jazz is taking anyone with a heartbeat and a diploma these days. I am no longer there, but for the few years I flew there and the majority of the time in the left seat I was usually more surprised to have an FO that actually had experience and time. %50-60 of the time flying with a new FO, they were college hires and pretty new to Jazz. Made my job a lot harder, but it is what it is. Jazz will have a big problem in the coming few years upgrading pilots. Not for lack of hours and "ATPL qualification" but because they won't pass the training. It's already happening with 2000-3000 pilots trying the upgrade, I can't imagine how high the fail rate will be when 1500 hours and a wet ATPL gets you in the upgrade program. :shock:

I would bet money that if you went up north for a year and got 1000-+ hours, maybe a bit in the left seat of something with two engines, and then went to a regional you will upgrade faster and be more successful in that upgrade than someone who was hired at Jazz the same time you went north.

Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuza »

I’m not sure where y’all are from but I currently live in Alberta and there is TONS of work. Up North too takes 200-250. Usually (Alberta and Sask) take 250 W/MIFR. That’s it! When I got in 12 yrs ago I couldn’t even imagine being taken at 250 (was just a rampie doing a ppl) and now - it’s crazy!

Transwest
North Cariboo
Perimeter (Wpg)
Canadian North (double check it isn’t 500)
ANY survey company (good time builder) - Airbone, ClearGrid, Integrated Surveillance, whole bunch I can’t think of right now in Sask but you can google or find on here.
Hell even Encore opens a profile at 250 but not eligible until 1000.

Lots of options to build the hours. Oh and the famed Instructor Rating which is what I’m sucked into (I love it so far). But hey, with my 4th little peep due in Oct., it’s a good option for this little 280 gal.

Good luck. Lots of ops.

Last edited by Tuza on Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Hilroy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:37 am
You’re a lightweight
No, no. He's a featherweight. And a troll.

Plane_sight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Plane_sight »

My coworker mentioned a freshly minted CPL w/ MIFR just got offered a direct-entry navajo FO position at SkyCare. I am actively seeking a position so will report back if I have any leads worth sharing. Luckily I am employed so I don't need a job yesterday. I remember looking years ago when things were in a dire situation and I didn't have a job while looking. Never hearing back was awful at that time. Let's see if times have changed.

Shinyjetsyndrome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Shinyjetsyndrome »

Cathay Pacific is hiring 250 hour wonders at the moment.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Shinyjetsyndrome wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 am Cathay Pacific is hiring 250 hour wonders at the moment.
Be 3rd officer for evveerrrrrr

Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Foregone »

Plane_sight wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:44 pm My coworker mentioned a freshly minted CPL w/ MIFR just got offered a direct-entry navajo FO position at SkyCare. I am actively seeking a position so will report back if I have any leads worth sharing. Luckily I am employed so I don't need a job yesterday. I remember looking years ago when things were in a dire situation and I didn't have a job while looking. Never hearing back was awful at that time. Let's see if times have changed.
I have heard no good things about that company. I know of 2 people formerly employed there and it is apparently not worth the hope of a first job.

Shinyjetsyndrome
Rank 2
Rank 2

flyingcanuck wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:11 pm
Shinyjetsyndrome wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 am Cathay Pacific is hiring 250 hour wonders at the moment.
Haha probably. Bit risky going there right now especially with no experience. If things go wrong you’re back to square one with no type rating. But it is an option..

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

Shinyjetsyndrome wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 pm
Haha probably. Bit risky going there right now especially with no experience. If things go wrong you’re back to square one with no type rating. But it is an option..
Aren't you essentially stuck there till you are at FO?

I don't think second officers can log time and don't get a type rating...

Shinyjetsyndrome
Rank 2
Rank 2

shawnthesheep wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:46 pm
Shinyjetsyndrome wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Aren't you essentially stuck there till you are at FO?

I don't think second officers can log time and don't get a type rating...
That is correct. It’s a huge gamble.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

And you’re on the D scale. Paying for a HK pad out of your own pocket and hoping the town doesn’t implode.

Go put your want ad for shared accommodation on the bulletin board next to the one from the A scale captain selling his 1.2 million dollar warbird.

That was the story I got from a former CX A350 B scale FO who decided to get off the the treadmill of “high” wages vs HK living and come back to Canada to fly medevac in BC.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?

Return to “Employment Forum”