High Blood Pressure

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: High Blood Pressure

Post by Beefitarian »

I have been eating my pill most evenings before bed. I finally got a normal reading towards the low end a few weeks ago. Kept the print out just to look at since I feel like the pills are not doing much.

I notice when I miss one though so there's that. :?
---------- ADS -----------

himalayanwellness
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by himalayanwellness »

Although there one find lots of treatment for hypertension (low blood pressure or high blood pressure) but until one get the best suited solution, people try everything.

I would recommend Ayurveda, Medication, Yoga are the best treatment to control high blood pressure. One can get the ayurvedic therapy at any Wellness retreat center in Canada or in other country like India, which is popular for such type of treatments.

Ritika Sharma
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Wouldn't low be hypotension?

Switched to the 8mg and now I am on the 8mg coversyl+

Still get high readings but I feel pretty good so I'll keep eating them I guess.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I guess I'll admit. The 8mg Coversyl + seems to be doing the trick.

Only noticeable downside is I overheat pretty quick. Maybe I'll be ready for winter.

I'm annoyed that my MD said out loud, "Yay, the trial and error worked." :|

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Ha! Yeah coversyl is quite effective for myself. Glad it's working for you

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Fair enough it's working but I don't need a Doctor to prescribe things until we stumble on one that works.

How are you doing 3G?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Pretty good. My next appointment is my 6 month check up with nuclear medicine just to make sure everything got nuked. That's end of September. Had to go back on a low dose of calcium (hypocalcemia is an awful feeling), and iron, but my thyroid levels are stable and where they want. Hoping the iron fixes the fatigue I've been feeling (I can power through a max duty day of flying but once I've stopped for the day the energy at home just leeches out of me.) Hard to motivate to get healthy when you're tired. Right side of the neck is still numb, may be forever, and numb is not quite the right word cause when doing something like shaving it's almost hyper sensitive around the edges. More annoying than anything.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

C-GGGQ wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:22 am Right side of the neck is still numb, may be forever, and numb is not quite the right word cause when doing something like shaving it's almost hyper sensitive around the edges. More annoying than anything.
Sounds like nerve pain/issues. I had a broken leg a bunch of years back, and have nerve damage around my foot and ankle. Sort of numb to the touch, but can get weird sensations, tingling, etc. I figure it's going to be permanent, being that I've had the same issue for a good decade now. Although, nerves can heal/regenerate, so only time will tell for yourself.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Yup the nerve to my right earlobe was severed, that's done, but the nerves to my neck are just "tortured" basically. One of the nurses said a patient's feeling came back over two years after the surgery. I'm at 8 months. And in the end of this is the worse case scenario it's really not that bad. Actually the worst part is I can't feel these northern horse flies and mosquitos land on that side so I'm getting eaten alive on holds.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Exactly, it's all in how one looks at it. A little tingling now and then just lets you know it is still there and working - sort of.

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

Real high blood pressure is a tough customer.

If you are a normal weight, healthy eating dude who also exercises regularly, there is little other than medication that will control it.
A family history of high blood pressure is hard to out run as well.

For the average guy in his forties or fifties, who is overweight and nothing else, a slow burning weight loss exercise like walking every day after dinner, is going to yield good results in loosing weight and lowering BP, up to a point.

Unfortunately Hypertension likes company, and often enough, in time, will run alongside of other metabolic ailments such as diabetes and insulin resistance, high blood lipids, gout and some impairment of renal function and a propensity to inflammation.
This combination needs early and aggressive treatment.
Diet modification and exercise to get rid of body fat, especially BELLY fat are paramount.
With a reduction of body fat load, there are much fewer fat cells needing insulin, which then becomes more available to muscle and brain cells for their metabolism. And Diabetes may magically seem to disappear.

Increased lipids that can lead to stroke, heart attack need to be lowered.

You can see why TC gets antsy about high blood pressure and the potential complications that can lead to increased risks to aviation safety.

The worst place for anyone to have their blood pressure monitored is at a doctors office, unless he or she happens to be your spouse.

If you have high BP readings, buy a BP monitor of good quality and check at home.

Those readings are valuable for diagnosis and especially ongoing treatment.

If your GP is "hunting around" for the right drugs endlessly, it's time for a referral to an internist to get a handle on it.

The last thing I want to say is that after a period of time the blood pressure comes under good control and like a good human, you will stop the drugs and your BP still remains in a good range. You will even visit your GP for checks and not tell him that you have stopped the pills, and carry on with life.

Believe it or not this happens a lot!

After two or three months IT "comes back" to where you started. It is time to fess up with your doctor and take your medicine.
If you have stopped monitoring for months, the first sign of a problem may well be a stroke or heart attack.

Not wanting to end on a sour note, remember that TC wants to keep you in the air as much as possible and not take your lively hood away capriciously.

Last edited by Castorero on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Excellent post. Basically it looks like I need a girl friend (boy friend? Modern times it's not nice to be picky about gender) that likes long walks?

Preferably around 25 with an airplane.

Morris20112
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Morris20112 »

A blood pressure at certain level is maintained by exercise and diet. I see the main reason of an uncontrolled blood pressure is to not identifying the root cause of the high blood pressure. Once it identified then it should be controlled by taking the necessary measures, in order to prevent the internal organs of body from damage.

Return to “Health & Fitness”