Canadian North Interview

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

olivierw
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Canadian North Interview

Post by olivierw »

Thanks for the info,

I think I'll wait until things get clearer about the merger to figure out what I'm doing.

Oli.
---------- ADS -----------

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Man, 5T is hiring at 250 hours, and 800 for a 737... wish I had known that lol.

Maybe I'll throw a resume your way when things pick up a bit.

olivierw
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by olivierw »

Yeah same here.

I wouldn't mind flying Iqaluit to Qikiqtarjuaq. Or kicking some gravel with a 737. I think it must be as fun as it gets in the 705 world.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Dash4life wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:56 pm Edmonton based pilots are flying out of Yellowknife on 4 - 5 days rotation and Iqaluit on 5 - 8 days rotation.
Why don't they do two weeks on, two weeks off?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Yeah really though. I've never applied cause I figured I didn't have a shot at dash or 737 at ~500hrs. Oh well. Maybe at 1500 lol

Gonzodriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gonzodriver »

Dash4life wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:56 pm Back to original topic:

The interview is pretty relax and last about 45 min. We just want to get to know you. This type of operation is not for everyone. We want to see if you will be a good fit on a 8 day pairing when it is pitch black and -100C outside... The arctic is not for every one. If you are successful, you will do a sim eval in our 737 sim in YEG. Some guys are better at interviews or in the sim so we combine the two results. We just want to give a chance to everyone.

Here is some infos about the Dash 8 operation:

We have 2 bases for the Dash (Calgary and Edmonton). Edmonton based pilots are flying out of Yellowknife on 4 - 5 days rotation and Iqaluit on 5 - 8 days rotation. Accomodation is provided and perdiem rate is 4.30$ / hr from the time you check in to the time you get back to Edmonton. If you do 2 Iqaluit 8 days pairing, you will get aprox 1650$ tax free on top of your salary which is not bad! If you do 2 Yellowknife pairings, you will fly 11-12 days in your month so your perdiems will be lower but you will be home more. Depend on what you bid and what you can hold with your seniority number.

The Calgary base will be a single day pairing. Flying is to the oil sand and you get back home every night. Perdiems will be lower since you don't overnight.

If you are close or if you are meeting the upgrade matrix for Dash 8 Captain, upgrade might happen within a year like most places these days. Things can go pretty quicly as some Dash FO got into a Boeing FO seat before their Dash 8 initial line check was completed.

If you are interested in joining our eam, you can come into our office in Calgary and I will be happy to have a chat with you.

Cheers,

François
What is the starting salary for a DH8 FO? And what does the upgrade matrix look like for Captain? Is there a commuting policy in place? Thanks

Bunk hog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bunk hog »

What a refreshing attitude...pick the right candidate based on attitude over experience and train him properly!

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Bunk hog wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:00 am What a refreshing attitude...pick the right candidate based on attitude over experience and train him properly!
Crock of crap that click is. Little boys club, First Air is even worst.

olivierw
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by olivierw »

So March is almost over, what's the word on the merger now?

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Just curious, is the 737 FO job out of Edmonton or Calgary rotational? Could you live in another province and commute?

Thanks

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

ehv8oar wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:12 pm Just curious, is the 737 FO job out of Edmonton or Calgary rotational? Could you live in another province and commute?
There are several commuters living in BC that commute to YEG and YYC on the Boeing but it's not rotational.

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Ah that's a shame. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Employment Forum”