Leave of absence

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Leave of absence

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Greetings fellow aviators,

Does AC offer LOA for people who want to do contracts abroad? Any details on the matter would be appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

loadshed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Leave of absence

Post by loadshed »

not currently.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

LOAs are offered when there are too many pilots.
Currently, and for the next number of years, it's not enough pilots.
I don't see LOAs coming anytime soon.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Some Contractors/Companies want to see proof you have resigned/been laid off from your previous Company.

Not everyone will accept a LoA.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Eric Janson wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:02 am Some Contractors/Companies want to see proof you have resigned/been laid off from your previous Company.
Probably impossible to forge.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Eric Janson wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:02 am Some Contractors/Companies want to see proof you have resigned/been laid off from your previous Company.

Not everyone will accept a LoA.
In my case that's not a problem!! Thanks guys!

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

If you are a current AC pilot, LOAs are done on a case by case review. As others have mentioned, we are short of pilots overall so they are not advertising LOAs, and I suspect they will be reluctant, but you can always speak with a base MLO on the possibility before accepting AvCanada gospel.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I have been told that AC only had to pay the grounded Max pilots for 3 months, after that they are not getting a pay cheque at all? The company offered pilots the opportunity to go back to their previous type short term if they only needed a recurrent course, I haven't heard how many took the back step.

So are they able to work elsewhere then? Are they forced to bid off type now?

Last edited by co-joe on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

You better get a divorce or have a family crisis or something though... they aren't going to give you one to do a contract in China or take a summer vacation with your family...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

co-joe wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:32 am I have been told that AC only had to pay the grounded Max pilots for 3 months, after that they are not getting a pay cheque at all? The company offered pilots the opportunity to go back to their previous type short term if they only needed a recurrent course, I haven't heard how many took the back step.

So are they able to work elsewhere then? Are they forced to bid off type now?
70 or 75 hours per month guaranteed pay (depending on YOS) until it's ungrounded.

They only offered current 320 and Embraer a chance to go back at better of pay rate, plus premiums over 70 hours, plus an extra week of vacation for every month you are back. Don't know how many.

Some might want to bid off but they cancelled the last bid and they aren't kicking guys off or giving free courses.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Wanted to resurrect this thread. Is AC currently offering any sort of LOA to work other flying jobs or return to school full time? If so does seniority still accrue during the LOA?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:23 am Wanted to resurrect this thread. Is AC currently offering any sort of LOA to work other flying jobs or return to school full time? If so does seniority still accrue during the LOA?
It would be odd for a carrier that is expanding and hiring (dramatically) to be offering LOA.

But you never know. Perhaps individual circumstance.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:23 am If so does seniority still accrue during the LOA?
Definitely not. Or I would have worked at McDonald's for the first 4 years instead of dealing with jet lag, CATSA, not seeing my family for days, passive aggressive flight attendants, red-eyes to YYT in pouring rain with 40 kt x-winds, flying 12 hours then stuck an hour because no ground crew, studying during my time off, angry immigration officials, world's most uncomfortable uniform pants, hotel Christmases, etc, etc. All to make less than I did flying day-VFR where I could walk to work.

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

Definitely yes.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Rooster69 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:37 am Definitely yes.
Sorry I thought they meant years of service for pay purposes. Yes, you keep your seniority number.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

FL030 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:32 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:23 am If so does seniority still accrue during the LOA?
Definitely not. Or I would have worked at McDonald's for the first 4 years instead of dealing with jet lag, CATSA, not seeing my family for days, passive aggressive flight attendants, red-eyes to YYT in pouring rain with 40 kt x-winds, flying 12 hours then stuck an hour because no ground crew, studying during my time off, angry immigration officials, world's most uncomfortable uniform pants, hotel Christmases, etc, etc. All to make less than I did flying day-VFR where I could walk to work.
Living the dream! I thought I found a potential loophole with the LOA around flat pay but I guess there's no way around it minus an early upgrade.

futboler14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by futboler14 »

I was hired in 2019 and laid off in 2020.

I'm on LOA till Q3 2023.

When I return, I will still be on first-year pay even though I was employed for 13 months before the furlough. :lol:

Continued to pay employer and employee pensions, so I'll be at the 4th-year scale for pension contributions.

I've moved up 550 seniority numbers since day one of PIT and there are roughly 800 pilots below me now.

The only thing you can't get around is flat pay. It's like death and taxes.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:35 am
Living the dream! I thought I found a potential loophole with the LOA around flat pay but I guess there's no way around it minus an early upgrade.
Are ya a gambling man? You could take the LOA on the gamble flat pay gets tossed with the new contract coming up

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

futboler14 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:55 am I was hired in 2019 and laid off in 2020.

I'm on LOA till Q3 2023.

When I return, I will still be on first-year pay even though I was employed for 13 months before the furlough. :lol:

Continued to pay employer and employee pensions, so I'll be at the 4th-year scale for pension contributions.

I've moved up 550 seniority numbers since day one of PIT and there are roughly 800 pilots below me now.

The only thing you can't get around is flat pay. It's like death and taxes.
So if you are first year pay but have 800 below, you would still be able to bid and hold captain right away when you get back? That's not too bad then because you would be off flat pay almost immediately.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Blueontop wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:00 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:35 am

Are ya a gambling man? You could take the LOA on the gamble flat pay gets tossed with the new contract coming up
I hope that flat pay does get tossed but I am not optimistic given the progress other Canadian airlines have been making.

Return to “Air Canada”