Careful getting fuel in Thunder Bay

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Careful getting fuel in Thunder Bay

Post by Bede »

Careful getting fuel in Thunder Bay. The main FBO is Shell and they charge $2.45/l + some other charge + $70(!) just for showing up on the ramp to get fuel. Looks like someone new purchased the Shell dealership.

The $70 is supposedly a daily parking charge, but if you come back later in the day for more fuel, it's another $70.

KBM may have fuel for sale or contact Kakabeka Falls.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Careful getting fuel in Thunder Bay

Post by digits_ »

Jeesh...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I've heard/read that before. Apparently you can park on apron 2 for $20/day. I believe there is also an Esso somewhere on site you can call over for fuel too. Worth calling ahead in the North to check these things out. Copa - Places to fly is another good resource but often dated info.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

From the www.100ll.ca entry for Thunder Bay:

"FBO: Maintair Aviation (Shell): 100LL public: 2.402 ($0.25/L ITP (Into Plane) fee included in price); JETA: 2.068 ($0.25/L ITP (Into Plane) fee included in price); current as of 2019-06-20.
Note: $65 parking fee (not waived if you buy gas)"

Note the ITP fee in addition to the ramp fee. I'm happy to add similar notes warning of extra charges to other airport's entries on 100LL if people send them to me.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Thunder Bay is about as south as you can get. You can literally see the US border.

Mooney21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooney21 »

I was there last July. Could not believe these prices and charges. Never again.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:31 am Thunder Bay is about as south as you can get. You can literally see the US border.

We're all very impressed Nanook.

paddy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by paddy »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:31 am Thunder Bay is about as south as you can get. You can literally see the US border.
Where does Alaska fit into your equation?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

paddy wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:42 pm
Where does Alaska fit into your equation?
Let's see. If you can see the Alaska border, I'd say you're in the West part of Canada. Certainly not the East part.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I find it interesting on the same site:

Pilots complain about how little they are paid, (including for example for flight instruction),

Pilots complain about how much everything costs, ( including for example, flight instruction )

Free market does work. Wages have risen, to support this...so must prices within the same industry. Outliers like in this story, there is usually competition (another airport)

Seems to me people want their wages to go up, and the prices for everything else to fall. Wouldn't that be nice. Math doesn't work, though.

Wages are low for entry level pilots. But, because airline tickets are cheap, many more pilots are hired than under the 1970's model.

Maybe everyone just wants to complain.

Just interesting that's all

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

With regard to pilot wages it is quite simple.

What owner of a flying business would want to pay pilots more then they are worth?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:46 am With regard to pilot wages it is quite simple.

What owner of a flying business would want to pay pilots more then they are worth?
I get the sense most who've never run a business, think it's reasonable for a business to operate at a loss so they can get paid more, or they are bloodsucking scum if they don't.

Then, when the business blows up doing this, they are horrible blood sucking scum all over again for mismanagement and laying off the employees! :lol:

Or THEY as pilots want to get paid More, but they want everyone else -- AME's, management, accounting, ect etc -- to get paid FAR LESS.

Do I have it about right?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

If they are worth more they would be able to earn it.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Some employers just want you to THINK they can't afford to pay you more. I worked for a guy (non aviation) who actually paid ok. He drag raced all over North America. This guy was a multi million air easy. He towed his race car all over with this old cruddy looking '70s Ford motorhome. I said to him once "why don't you buy yourself one of those diesel bus conversions for hauling your car?" He said "I like to keep a low profile"

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

jakeandelwood wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:47 pm Some employers just want you to THINK they can't afford to pay you more. I worked for a guy (non aviation) who actually paid ok. He drag raced all over North America. This guy was a multi million air easy. He towed his race car all over with this old cruddy looking '70s Ford motorhome. I said to him once "why don't you buy yourself one of those diesel bus conversions for hauling your car?" He said "I like to keep a low profile"
Do you think you deserve to be the multi -millionaire instead of him?

Why are you entitled to more than a free and competitive market sets as a value for a given skill level / experience?

I'm genuinely curious as to the thinking here.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

He just called him a "multi million air".

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

last trip through ontario we stopped in dryden vs TB. cheaper less grief

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:06 pm
jakeandelwood wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:47 pm Some employers just want you to THINK they can't afford to pay you more. I worked for a guy (non aviation) who actually paid ok. He drag raced all over North America. This guy was a multi million air easy. He towed his race car all over with this old cruddy looking '70s Ford motorhome. I said to him once "why don't you buy yourself one of those diesel bus conversions for hauling your car?" He said "I like to keep a low profile"
Do you think you deserve to be the multi -millionaire instead of him?

Why are you entitled to more than a free and competitive market sets as a value for a given skill level / experience?

I'm genuinely curious as to the thinking here.
No, not at all. He paid me reasonably well, he is successful and I admire that, I'm just saying some like to flash their money and others don't want people to know they are wealthy for whatever reasons they may have, which may, but also may not come into play when they say they can't afford to pay someone what they are worth.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

when they say they can't afford to pay someone what they are worth.
If a pilot works for xxx dollars then obviously that is what they are worth at that point in time.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:48 pm
when they say they can't afford to pay someone what they are worth.
If a pilot works for xxx dollars then obviously that is what they are worth at that point in time.
So the rich, lazy, entitled slimeball business guy is taking advantage of the "working people"?

Sounds like the liberal attack ads that have already started, and it really pisses me off.

Return to “General Comments”