Careful getting fuel in Thunder Bay

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Careful getting fuel in Thunder Bay

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:01 pm
C.W.E. wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:48 pm
when they say they can't afford to pay someone what they are worth.
If a pilot works for xxx dollars then obviously that is what they are worth at that point in time.
So the rich, lazy, entitled slimeball business guy is taking advantage of the "working people"?

Sounds like the liberal attack ads that have already started, and it really pisses me off.
What are you talking about? What discussion are you replying to?

Sure business have the right to set their prices, and customers have the right to go somewhere else. For pilots planning a trip in the area, I'd say it is very good to know that there is such a big ramp fee, even if you buy fuel.

You can't/don't want to go somewhere else? Sure, be happy CYQT has avgas and pay the fee. If you don't want to pay the price go somewhere else. But knowing the information about the fee beforehand is critical for a good decision. So I applaud Bede for bringing it to our attention.
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Fair enough.

But this whole site is like a Unifor ad at times.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Does anyone know if they charge the air force the same fees? They get a lot of military trainers coming through so they might be doing this to gouge the government who will pay anything without batting an eye. Like the $600 hammer.

Another idea is they know airplanes passing through YQT are crossing the country and never plan to return so they might as well gouge them since they're never coming back. Once they're down on the ground they have to pay whatever you say unless they have the fuel to go somewhere else.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The Air Force doesn't fly avgas burners across the country. Not sure of the Jet A prices, but I'm sure there's enough airline pressure on prices for that.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

One does have to raise an eyebrow when someone starts charging that kind of prices in the relative south of the country. If your price per litre in Ontario is more than it is in YZF, there's something wrong. 2.45/litre plus a service fee, its getting cheaper to have your own fuel barrels trucked in.

Personally I avoid TB, that place killed Terry Fox after all.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:02 pm The Air Force doesn't fly avgas burners across the country. Not sure of the Jet A prices, but I'm sure there's enough airline pressure on prices for that.
Airlines almost never pay posted prices, they buy it through fuel contracts. Take a look at the financials the airlines release and they will say what they paid for fuel in the previous quarter, I think AC and WJ were in the 70-80 cent range per litre of jet fuel

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Squaretail wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:01 pm Personally I avoid TB, that place killed Terry Fox after all.
Lol. We kill a lot of people. http://www.chroniclejournal.com/news/lo ... 9de97.html

Ggkl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ggkl »

Talked to the guys at kakabeca airport today they have fuel on their airport for 1.60. If you can get in there it might be a better option.

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

Mikey McBryan may have to start another YouTube series to pay for the fill up of his DC-3. It's parked there and he is planning to go to Oshkosh.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Should we start a go fund me for Mikey? :mrgreen:

Fueller
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fueller »

First, there is no Esso anymore, World Fuel Services bought Imperial Oil's entire network back in 2016. Unfortunately IOL exited the 100LL business in YQT a few years back due to volumes. This left Shell and their dealers free to price as they see fit.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Ggkl wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:35 am Talked to the guys at kakabeca airport today they have fuel on their airport for 1.60. If you can get in there it might be a better option.
Does that include taxes?

Return to “General Comments”