Congrats

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sicamore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Congrats

Post by sicamore »

Diadem wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:38 pm I've lived overseas, and I wouldn't go back. I like that I can hop down to the river and go fishing. I like that I can go out into the woods on Crown land and pitch a tent wherever I want without a reservation or permit. I like that I can go snowboarding in powder, not manufactured slush. I like that I can have a yard with grass for my kids to play in rather than an apartment crammed into an endless city or a condo in a compound with no personal space. I like that I can walk to two craft breweries from my house, and live five minutes from where I work.
I don't care about the specifics of your circumstances. The point I was making is that there are a lot of Canadians who have gone overseas for work and are desperate to come back. Whether it's to make their families happy, to get their kids in better schools, to get out of an unstable country, whatever it is, they've decided that Canada is better despite lower wages. They, and you, are willing to sacrifice income for something in their personal lives, and they and you have increased the supply of pilots here by doing so. That keeps wages down, and AC knows that they will never run dry of pilots, even on what they already pay. You can bitch and moan about it, but you accepted their scale, so you're part of the reason that it won't go up. You can either live in Canada, or you can make absurd wages, but not both; you chose the former because of your personal priorities.
I would love to have both my own jet and my own house, but I can't, and I've chosen the house because it's more important to me. It would be pretty stupid of me to go whining to the bank about how they should give me a bunch of free money so I can have both when they don't stand to gain anything from it.
haha - where did you live overseas? were you one of the voyager types who did a contract in southern sudan and then come back to canada saying how wonderful it is compared to 'overseas'

You sound like an american boasting about how free america is compared to saudi arabia being definative proof of americas superiority.

Seriously, where in the first world can you not do any of those things apart from the powder - and I can tell you a number of european countries also has that. All those things that you talk about no one in Toronto has or has very little of. They are still canadians.

To insinuate that the rest of the world does not have wonderful places to live is nothing but naive. Where's the beautiful beaches in Canada with great scuba diving and crystal clear waters? Just because canada does not have it, it does not mean that it isn't a great place to live - just the same can be said about australia not having powdered snow.

This topic is old here - full of people like yourself saying Canada is a wonderful place to live, so therefore we sacrifice pay. You my friend are an enabler. To enable the group think that says we can't live in a wonderful place and get paid well. Case in point - Australia - mostly get paid double what we are paid here. Has all the things you talked about (sans snow) But they still get paid a lot more and have better benefits and START with 22 days vacation. Why can't we have that here? oh that's right, Canada is the best place in the world to live, so we have to make some sacrifices...

March to a new beat will you - one that can actually help Canadian pilots earn a just wage comparable with our colleagues overseas.

As to all the canadians desperate to come back... from where? the sandpit - some, In my experience most are quite happy over there. You maybe meet only the ones who did come back. Still plenty out there in countries all over the world that are quite content where they are. You obviously have not met them - which doesn't mean they aren't there, just that you haven't met them.

Oh, and do things without permits? You must live in alberta - for the rest of us canadians we need a permit to sneeze. I have never lived in such an over regulated country in my life.

Again - where did you live and work overseas??

from one of your posts
I've been in this industry well over decade, I have many thousands of hours, and I work for a 705. I have a family, I've lived all over Canada, and I've travelled to Latin America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and South-East Asia
You don't say you have lived overseas there. Making this up as you are going along?
---------- ADS -----------

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

eyebrow737 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:36 am
Warden wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:13 pm Any AT pilots who "wouldn't touch AC with a ten foot pole" you are all welcome to not come over when the time comes. Swoop, SW, Flair would all be happy to have you. Lots of AC pilots would be happy to see you go elsewhere if you feel you are too good to slum it at Air Canada.
As someone who has been with AC for over 5 years now after coming back from the sandpit - AC maybe the top of the pile here but when it comes to mainline airlines there is nothing to shout about. $2900 starting take home pay should be enough to keep good pilots away.

Even the states makes this place look cheap. Now as a captain again, I am earning 1/3 of what I was with benefits and vacation not even being close.

IMHO AC is the starting point with everything that is wrong with Canadian Aviation.
You're welcome to leave anytime. I'll happily take your seniority number.

Not everyone wants to live elsewhere in the world. Some people want a GOOD job IN Canada, where friends, family and a familiar, safe and more or less well run society exists. Yes, we don't make enough based on the rest of the world and Canada has issues of it's own but there is still no where else I'd rather live. Settle down roots etc. I haven't lived in the ME or China, but I have lived in Europe and I still prefer Canada.

Just like some people want to live in Canadian society and will take a lower paid job (globally), you aren't much different as you came back to Canada to stay married. Not much different. We give up some things, in order to have other things. Life is a balance. Money is not everything.

sicamore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sicamore »

Warden wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:12 pm
eyebrow737 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:36 am
Warden wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:13 pm Any AT pilots who "wouldn't touch AC with a ten foot pole" you are all welcome to not come over when the time comes. Swoop, SW, Flair would all be happy to have you. Lots of AC pilots would be happy to see you go elsewhere if you feel you are too good to slum it at Air Canada.
As someone who has been with AC for over 5 years now after coming back from the sandpit - AC maybe the top of the pile here but when it comes to mainline airlines there is nothing to shout about. $2900 starting take home pay should be enough to keep good pilots away.

Even the states makes this place look cheap. Now as a captain again, I am earning 1/3 of what I was with benefits and vacation not even being close.

IMHO AC is the starting point with everything that is wrong with Canadian Aviation.
You're welcome to leave anytime. I'll happily take your seniority number.

Not everyone wants to live elsewhere in the world. Some people want a GOOD job IN Canada, where friends, family and a familiar, safe and more or less well run society exists. Yes, we don't make enough based on the rest of the world and Canada has issues of it's own but there is still no where else I'd rather live. Settle down roots etc. I haven't lived in the ME or China, but I have lived in Europe and I still prefer Canada.

Just like some people want to live in Canadian society and will take a lower paid job (globally), you aren't much different as you came back to Canada to stay married. Not much different. We give up some things, in order to have other things. Life is a balance. Money is not everything.
europe is not a country. Poland is different from norway, spain from romania. regardless, I came from australia. gave up 6 weeks of vacation, great health benefits and a starting salary twice and a house on the beach. You are dead on - we certainly give up some things when we move to canada. I'm just trying to work out what we get thats better. Care to enlighten?

yes - another wife who wants to be near her family.

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Warden wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:12 pm Just like some people want to live in Canadian society and will take a lower paid job (globally), you aren't much different as you came back to Canada to stay married. Not much different. We give up some things, in order to have other things. Life is a balance. Money is not everything.
Some people do yes. It would be interesting to see if the americans opened up their visas to Canadian pilots, how many people would disagree with your point of view.

I lived and worked there for over 7 years. It's my view that the quality of life there is much comparable to here if you can put aside the political views. Never had a problem with seeing a doctor. Back here for three years and still waiting be 'assigned' one. Housing much cheaper, got paid a ton more, less taxes, less regulation, same vacation and lived in a beautiful place not far from the airport.

Don't let your patriotism sway you from the argument. There is no reason why pilots here shouldn't be paid equally apart from corporate cronyism and political interference.

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

Why would Justin allow a fairly well paid, non-professional group to exit the country with their tax dollars? He knows that someone has to pay for all his "low-income social programs". It would also create an immediate staffing problem for our larger carriers. We already know that CR has significant sway in the political arena.

I wouldn't hold my breath as JT and the US administration would both have to think its a good idea.

DP.

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Diadem wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:38 pm I've lived overseas, and I wouldn't go back.
you gonna answer the man? where did you live diadem? or did you just get called out for the liar you are.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

sicamore wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:00 pm haha - where did you live overseas? were you one of the voyager types who did a contract in southern sudan and then come back to canada saying how wonderful it is compared to 'overseas'

You sound like an american boasting about how free america is compared to saudi arabia being definative proof of americas superiority.

Seriously, where in the first world can you not do any of those things apart from the powder - and I can tell you a number of european countries also has that. All those things that you talk about no one in Toronto has or has very little of. They are still canadians.

To insinuate that the rest of the world does not have wonderful places to live is nothing but naive. Where's the beautiful beaches in Canada with great scuba diving and crystal clear waters? Just because canada does not have it, it does not mean that it isn't a great place to live - just the same can be said about australia not having powdered snow.

This topic is old here - full of people like yourself saying Canada is a wonderful place to live, so therefore we sacrifice pay. You my friend are an enabler. To enable the group think that says we can't live in a wonderful place and get paid well. Case in point - Australia - mostly get paid double what we are paid here. Has all the things you talked about (sans snow) But they still get paid a lot more and have better benefits and START with 22 days vacation. Why can't we have that here? oh that's right, Canada is the best place in the world to live, so we have to make some sacrifices...

March to a new beat will you - one that can actually help Canadian pilots earn a just wage comparable with our colleagues overseas.

As to all the canadians desperate to come back... from where? the sandpit - some, In my experience most are quite happy over there. You maybe meet only the ones who did come back. Still plenty out there in countries all over the world that are quite content where they are. You obviously have not met them - which doesn't mean they aren't there, just that you haven't met them.

Oh, and do things without permits? You must live in alberta - for the rest of us canadians we need a permit to sneeze. I have never lived in such an over regulated country in my life.

Again - where did you live and work overseas??

from one of your posts
I've been in this industry well over decade, I have many thousands of hours, and I work for a 705. I have a family, I've lived all over Canada, and I've travelled to Latin America, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and South-East Asia
You don't say you have lived overseas there. Making this up as you are going along?
I lived in Dubai for two years. I would probably enjoy living in most of Europe, and maybe New Zealand, but I know for sure that I love living in Canada. I don't think in most of Europe I could take an M14 out into the woods and blast away at targets, or drive down forest service roads for a week without seeing any other people. I also served in the military before I became a pilot, and I'm damn proud of what Canadian soldiers have done for the rest of the world over the last 120 years. Just because you hate this country doesn't mean that everyone does.
munzil wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:10 am
Diadem wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:38 pm I've lived overseas, and I wouldn't go back.
you gonna answer the man? where did you live diadem? or did you just get called out for the liar you are.
I'm not a loser like you who lives on AvCanada 24/7. I had better shit to do then constantly hit F5 waiting desperately for someone to respond to me. I answered the first time I logged in.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

A year or so ago, I read an interview with a woman who lives in Vancouver, and was lamenting the high cost of living. She freely admitted that she could have made more money literally anywhere else in Canada, but she didn't think it was fair that she should have to choose her income over her lifestyle, and she was demanding that the government intervene. You expats who return here and then lament about lower wages remind me of the hipster douchebags who refuse to move further than walking distance from their favourite organic vegan coffee shops, and then insist that someone else give them more money or cap their rent so they can stay living where they want. Ironically, you'd probably also be the first ones to tell those dicks to go work in the oil sands or become loggers if they aren't making enough money, but when you special snowflakes think you deserve it it's a different story.
There's no grand political conspiracy behind it, no one is orchestrating a plot to keep your tax money here. It's simple supply-and-demand, and you coming home dilutes the supply of pilots without any corresponding increase in demand. To AC and WS, you're numbers; the odds of you ever relying on your experience to get your aircraft out of a sticky situation that's so unusual that the QRH can't solve the problem are so small as to be essentially nill, and they don't care about your experience any further than any of your peers applying for the same job, as long as you meet the minimum requirements. They would gladly hire the most experienced pilots they could, but not if it's going to cost them more money. If you demand one dollar more than the pimply kid next to you with the ink still wet on his ATPL, they won't hire you, even if you have 20000 hours in a 777, because whoever they hire will be trained to the same standard. You're not special.
Boy, you guys sure do love free-market capitalism until it works against you...

sicamore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sicamore »

Diadem wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:54 pm A year or so ago, I read an interview with a woman who lives in Vancouver, and was lamenting the high cost of living. She freely admitted that she could have made more money literally anywhere else in Canada, but she didn't think it was fair that she should have to choose her income over her lifestyle, and she was demanding that the government intervene. You expats who return here and then lament about lower wages remind me of the hipster douchebags who refuse to move further than walking distance from their favourite organic vegan coffee shops, and then insist that someone else give them more money or cap their rent so they can stay living where they want. Ironically, you'd probably also be the first ones to tell those dicks to go work in the oil sands or become loggers if they aren't making enough money, but when you special snowflakes think you deserve it it's a different story.
There's no grand political conspiracy behind it, no one is orchestrating a plot to keep your tax money here. It's simple supply-and-demand, and you coming home dilutes the supply of pilots without any corresponding increase in demand. To AC and WS, you're numbers; the odds of you ever relying on your experience to get your aircraft out of a sticky situation that's so unusual that the QRH can't solve the problem are so small as to be essentially nill, and they don't care about your experience any further than any of your peers applying for the same job, as long as you meet the minimum requirements. They would gladly hire the most experienced pilots they could, but not if it's going to cost them more money. If you demand one dollar more than the pimply kid next to you with the ink still wet on his ATPL, they won't hire you, even if you have 20000 hours in a 777, because whoever they hire will be trained to the same standard. You're not special.
Boy, you guys sure do love free-market capitalism until it works against you...
You served in the military and lived in Dubai two years? You really are making this up as you are going along.

It's apparent you are lying from your previous posts. I do t know who you are trying to impress. Your lies reduce all respect for any argument you are trying to make

No one here hates Canada. It is one of the best countries to live in the world. This is not a GW you are either with us or against moment.

Anyway I've had enough arguing with a 14 year old making up his life.

Enjoy getting that pilots license, it's a good time to join the industry

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Diadem wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:54 pm There's no grand political conspiracy behind it, no one is orchestrating a plot to keep your tax money here. It's simple supply-and-demand, and you coming home dilutes the supply of pilots without any corresponding increase in demand.
Air Canada pilots tried to strike for a better contract and were forced back to work by the government. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Actually we just voted "No" and tried to negotiate, then the company said they would lock us out after the IAMAW said they were going to strike.

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Diadem wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:44 pm I'm not a loser like you who lives on AvCanada 24/7. I had better shit to do then constantly hit F5 waiting desperately for someone to respond to me. I answered the first time I logged in.
I beg to differ. Looking at my profile I have posted .06 posts a day. Looking at yours you have posted .26 posts a day. Over 4 times more than me. By your definition that would make you a loser who spends his time on avcanada - certain 4 times the loser I am.

Now that that is settled, I'm still calling you out as nothing more than a liar as to 'living overseas' based upon your previous posting history. Were you a training captain on the triple for emirates? That would also put into question your travels that you claim. Military? my ass.

You're nothing but a blowhard that claims to be an expert on everything.

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

@sicamore
Proving you do not know much about Canada. It is completely legal in Ontario (and all the other provinces I have lived in) to camp on crown land without a permit! Which is all the man claimed regarding permits.

I have friends that went all over the place for big money. It works for them. I chose to stay in Canada for less money cause I can pick up my shotgun and go for a walk in the woods with my dog, whenever the F**** I want. That is important to me. I am willing to make less money to do that.

It doesn't make Canada a better or worse place than anywhere else. It does make it the right place for some of us. Diadem has some good points.

You calling him a liar with not a lot of knowledge about him, is more than a little far fetched.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Lots of Airline experience in the recent course... mulriple OTS each from Westjet, Sunwing, Canadian North, First Air, and others. Multiples from overseas coming home too... Emirates, Etihad, Cathay, and others...

Lots of originally foreign born Canadian Pilots too choosing Canada to hang their hat also it would seem. Italy, Germany, France, Argentina...

Any of those countries would be great, I'd live in them, but obviously there's an attraction of living in this one... not the greatest at everything, not the greatest for everyone, but still pretty great... if we could only get wages up and taxes down and cost of living in check... I can almost handle the climate...

Would be great if I could take my SIG MCX for a walk too, have to bring the Mini 14 along for now I guess...

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Your lot in life is what you make it. Like most of us, I’ve lived all over Canada. And my experience has been totally different from one spot to another. Every town, every province has their own goods and bads. Other countries all have theirs as well. Find the balance that works for you and live your life.

And for the sake of everyone’s sanity stop telling everyone else how your way is so much better than theirs. It’s childish and old, and not deserving of any better treatment as a professional than you probably already get.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

sicamore wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:33 am You served in the military and lived in Dubai two years? You really are making this up as you are going along.
Yes, I certainly did. I'll tell you what, you take the amount you made in your last year as an expat, subtract what you made in your first year back in Canada, and get a bank draft for that amount made up in my name. Then, I'll give you my home address, and you can come here and meet me personally. I'll show you my record of service, my licence and type ratings, and proof that I lived in Dubai. When I've done that, you hand over the bank draft. Are you willing to take that bet? Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?
munzil wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:23 am Now that that is settled, I'm still calling you out as nothing more than a liar as to 'living overseas' based upon your previous posting history. Were you a training captain on the triple for emirates? That would also put into question your travels that you claim. Military? my ass.
Same offer to you, numb nuts.

Oh, what's the problem, are you little pansies realizing that mommy was wrong when she said you were the most special snowflakes on Earth, and you could have anything you wanted? Are your wittwe feewings huwt? Did I strike a nerve by pointing out that you're no more valuable than any other pilot with an ATPL, and you don't deserve anything from taxpayers, or your employers, over and above what the market allows you to get? Because I haven't seen even an attempt at a rebuttal from my last post. Was there anything that I said that was wrong about your usefulness to an airline, and their willingness to give you more compensation than anyone else because you left the country? I await anyone trying to make a fact-based argument, rather than simply casting aspersions.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

munzil wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:23 am I beg to differ. Looking at my profile I have posted .06 posts a day. Looking at yours you have posted .26 posts a day. Over 4 times more than me. By your definition that would make you a loser who spends his time on avcanada - certain 4 times the loser I am.
Oh, and the number of posts I've made is not representative of the amount of time I've spent on AvCanada. If that's hard for you to follow, I can explain in greater detail and simpler words. I have made a lot more posts than you, but that's because I have to correct so very many wrong assertions.

sicamore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sicamore »

Diadem wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 pm [I have made a lot more posts than you, but that's because I have to correct so very many wrong assertions.
You're very full of yourself aren't you?

sicamore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sicamore »

Diadem wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 pm [Yes, I certainly did. I'll tell you what, you take the amount you made in your last year as an expat, subtract what you made in your first year back in Canada, and get a bank draft for that amount made up in my name. Then, I'll give you my home address, and you can come here and meet me personally
You sir, have a deal. I'll get the bank draft organized immediately. What's your name?

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bythenumbers »

Sorry if this has been answered, are transat pilots becoming ac pilots or will they remain separate? Is remaining separate even possible or desired?

Return to “Air Transat”