ARINC and FMS

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

ARINC and FMS

Post by ProfessionalATC »

Hello All , I have a few questions related to ARINC 424 and FMS and I seem to have difficulty finding them.
If anyone know any resources online that would help me I would appreciate it.

Are all the published instrument approach procedures possible to be coded as per ARINC 424 standard on a FMS Navigation Database?

Up to how many fields can contain an IAP record on ARINC standard?

Is an IF Path & Terminator the same on the Navigation Database than on a Navigation Chart?

What Path & Terminator will be used to code a 45, 180, 45 degree turn?

Can a missed approach point be a fly by way point ?

Thank You
---------- ADS -----------

tired of the ground
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: ARINC and FMS

Post by tired of the ground »

Are all the published instrument approach procedures possible to be coded as per ARINC 424 standard on a FMS Navigation Database?
Yes, if a procedure were unable to be coded it would be unable to be retrieved and therefore illegal to be flown by the fms.

Up to how many fields can contain an IAP record on ARINC standard?

I haven't heard of a limitation by standard. There are however storage issues within the FMS file servers that require truncated databases that often limit waypoints to required ones only. I.e. european approaches that may have 5 waypoints in a straight line on a downwind.

Can a missed approach point be a fly by way point ?
No, missed approaches are predicated on you starting the missed approach in a certain physical location.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: ARINC and FMS

Post by photofly »

The raw data for approaches in the US used to be in 14 CFR 97.11 but it was moved in 2016. Google for FAA form 8260-10 to pull up some examples of waypoint data that defines approach procedures, and the data therein might help.

example:https://www.faa.gov/aero_docs/acifp/201 ... A25A_F.PDF

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”