COPA for Kids pilots now require police check

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: COPA for Kids pilots now require police check

Post by digits_ »

That would be more realistic than abuse happening during flight. However, if that is the reason why they impose the requirement, they could have communicated it that way. We've had a few high level COPA people reply in this topic, and this explanation has never been given, which makes me put my money on the "knee jerk (re)action" side of things.
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:34 am Ok, I've read enough of the whinefest here, and I'm going to defend COPA.

You guys are really clueless about how these predators operate. God Bless you for naivety.

The reason -- yes I'm certainly presuming -- that COPA is singling out pilots, is not what might happen at an event.

It's the chance one of the kids might actually find flying cool, and the pilot cool, and they strike up a private relationship, you know with those things we call phones -- without any knowledge of the parents -- (you know the ones that just want to drop off their kids, LOL).

Then something online called grooming happens. The pilot has something cool to offer -- another flight. Ground staff, nothing of the kind. It's a gold mine for any pilot who is a predator. And these predators are patient.

Pilots are what's called being in a position of influence in the interactions with children. Ground staff aren't. I'm supposing this is their thinking on it

You think there's a Chance copa has thought all this through?

I'm also guessing few of the critics have been in any leadership capacity of an organization that could be wrecked by accusations of failing to keep children safe. If you were, you'd see it differently.
And a police check is going to stop that? Maybe a repeat offender who has done something like that in the past and been CAUGHT. There is always a 1st time for a sexual predator, then a 2nd time and so on until they are caught.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:34 am Ok, I've read enough of the whinefest here, and I'm going to defend COPA.

You guys are really clueless about how these predators operate. God Bless you for naivety.

The reason -- yes I'm certainly presuming -- that COPA is singling out pilots, is not what might happen at an event.

It's the chance one of the kids might actually find flying cool, and the pilot cool, and they strike up a private relationship, you know with those things we call phones -- without any knowledge of the parents -- (you know the ones that just want to drop off their kids, LOL).

Then something online called grooming happens. The pilot has something cool to offer -- another flight. Ground staff, nothing of the kind. It's a gold mine for any pilot who is a predator. And these predators are patient.

Pilots are what's called being in a position of influence in the interactions with children. Ground staff aren't. I'm supposing this is their thinking on it

You think there's a Chance copa has thought all this through?

I'm also guessing few of the critics have been in any leadership capacity of an organization that could be wrecked by accusations of failing to keep children safe. If you were, you'd see it differently.
:shock: Seriously???? Do you lie awake at night dreaming this kind of thing up? In your mythological scenario, the ground staff have much more time to have a discussion with the kids. And they are kids after all and don't likely make a connection between the difference of a pilot saying "Hey kid I could give you another ride." and a ground staff saying "Hey kid, I know these pilots and can get you another ride." As many people have already posted the ground personnel have much more casual time to talk with the kids than the pilot does.

So in answer to your question, I absolutely think that COPA didn't think this through or at least not nearly well enough.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

You can't offer to fly kids at your local airport without having to prove you are not a child molester?

Wow.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Obviously this wouldn't work with 2 place aircraft but why doesn't one of the parents just go with the kid(s) in the plane. I myself would rather have a parent in the plane, what if the kid starts screaming, is completely terrified and goes bonkers? I'd like to have someone to help me with that in the plane. If the flights are only 10 minutes and the airport is busy which it sounds like it would be on one of these days then the pilot already has their hands full.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

When I owned a flight school/ charter business I gave free rides to kids for years.

Never had a problem with the kids freaking out.

Never had anyone suggest I get a police check to see if I was a paedophile.

I was not involved with C.O.P.A. I offered the rides without their blessings.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:30 am You can't offer to fly kids at your local airport without having to prove you are not a child molester?

Wow.
Well...technically you are only proving that there is no record of you having been convicted of molesting a child (or similarly serious offense).

Glenn

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

C-GKNT wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:41 pm

Well...technically you are only proving that there is no record of you having been convicted of molesting a child (or similarly serious offense).

Glenn
Exactly, you have to prove you are a very good one, that you haven't been caught yet :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I can't understand your comment.

I stated that I gave free rides to kids with my own airplanes and no one ever asked me to produce a police record of any offences I may have been convicted of.

So how is that proving I have no criminal record?

Are we supposed to carry our criminal record in that abortion of an Aviation Document they sent us?

How about our V.D. records?

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

At all of these C4K events, are tower controllers controlling all movements? Are all the pilots paperwork ( A/C documents, pilot documents, currency, training etc) checked? Is the A/C maintenance logs checked for adherence to AWD s SB s common sense life limit bulletins like Lycomings maximum calendar limit for engines etc. Are pilots required to have minimum hours and hours on type?

If it is a SMS type risk assessment issue, then these items above ought to be on the list INSTEAD of a pedofile check !!

IF there is an accident caused by one of the above negligent items, you can be assured that the typical knee-jerk reaction would be to cover the above items AFTER the fact! You cant stop a pedofile IF they have never been found out !

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:34 amIt's the chance one of the kids might actually find flying cool, and the pilot cool, and they strike up a private relationship, you know with those things we call phones -- without any knowledge of the parents -- (you know the ones that just want to drop off their kids, LOL).
How do they set up that private relationship, in a cockpit with three kids? They'll all hear it. I doubt the pilot would risk it.
...these predators are patient.
Sadly, these predators are also fairly intelligent. They generally don't get caught until there have been multiple victims, sometimes well into the double digit numbers. The flying community is fairly small at most GA airports, it would be hard to bring a kid out to the airport more than a couple of times without someone seeing them and noticing. "Who's the kid?" "Oh, my neice" "Didn't know you had a sister..." etc.
Pilots are what's called being in a position of influence in the interactions with children. Ground staff aren't. I'm supposing this is their thinking on it. You think there's a Chance copa has thought all this through?
I'm thinking they have followed someone's tunnel vision down only one path of thinking, and once they were there they didn't bother looking for any other possibilities. There is a hierarchy of influence at a CFK event, from a kid's perspective. Every adult there is in a position of influence. The ground crew, wearing their yellow safety vests for visibility and/or carrying clipboards of names of kids to fly, are organizers, and provide direction to the kids (and parents) at the airport. And they spend a lot more time with the kids, in a much less structured or supervised environment.
I don't see it differently. While I look at the situation and say "there's never been an incident so why do we need this?", I recognize that regardless of the stupidity of the security theatre, society wants this. If that's the case, require *everyone* to do the VSC. Stop dicking around with adding another hassle, cost, and nuisance to the pilots who are already donating their aircraft, their fuel, their insurance risk, and their time to the cause. The ground crew give nothing but their time, with near zero risk. How about sharing the load?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I don't know enough about ground crews interaction level. FWIW I'm not opposed to the idea COPA should look at that aspect too. I have just said I think I can understand their thoughts on it.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

In Ontario, the fees have gone up to $41 for an employment check.

It is FREE for volunteers and available at opp detachments.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Just renewed mine in Ontario for a volunteer role. It's free with a letter from the Volunteer Org. and took all of 30 minutes. Walked out with it. :D

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Not my experience, 6 weeks on the outside, for each organization

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

"...and by the way s69a, there is a difference between an explanation and an excuse."

Similar to my parents: "That's an excuse, not a reason"

Anyway, our little group flew about 118 children this past weekend without a hitch. The happy smiles on the faces of the children was more than enough reward for the trifling annoyance of the VSC...

Return to “General Comments”