Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Circle to land
Rank 1
Rank 1

Swoop

Post by Circle to land »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what to expect on the Swoop Video Interview? or PM me.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Swoop

Post by flyinhigh »

Save yourself the time and go somewhere else.

This is literally the worst place in the country to work (ie, worst pay, schedule, life style, management, etc.)

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'd talk about the pilot profession, the responsibility for all the passengers lives. Company reputation is also in the hands of the pilots too, lol. How I'd expect industry leading pay, schedule and working conditions. Then when they say "oh sorry, some 704 jobs pay better and work less than swoop", laugh and turn off the webcam without even saying bye.

Could also explain that the 's' sound doesn't transmit well on a radio, so their callsign sounds like "poop 123"

SnotRocket
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SnotRocket »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:01 am I'd talk about the pilot profession, the responsibility for all the passengers lives. Company reputation is also in the hands of the pilots too, lol. How I'd expect industry leading pay, schedule and working conditions. Then when they say "oh sorry, some 704 jobs pay better and work less than swoop", laugh and turn off the webcam without even saying bye.

Could also explain that the 's' sound doesn't transmit well on a radio, so their callsign sounds like "poop 123"
Not to mention Swoop upside down spells dooms.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I thought we had agreed to call it Whoops.
swoop
noun
an act or instance of swooping; a sudden, swift descent.
To think someone got paid big money to come up with that name. Quite amazing when you think about it.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

You turn down that interview and you tell them you dont want to be on the ALPA blacklist.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

pianokeys wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:24 am You turn down that interview and you tell them you dont want to be on the ALPA blacklist.
There is no more ALPA Blacklist. It was rescinded as part of the entry into arbitration process.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

FL410AV8R wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:33 am
pianokeys wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:24 am You turn down that interview and you tell them you dont want to be on the ALPA blacklist.
There is no more ALPA Blacklist. It was rescinded as part of the entry into arbitration process.
We've also hired numerous past swoop pilots at the recent AC ground schools.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Seemingly some (pilots?) think they know all and their current employer is the best in everything (until it's not) and they are not very objective or pragmatic in giving advice, never mind being eloquent!!
Most preliminary interviews' objective is to determine the candidates' strengths and weaknesses (yes we all have it!) and whether they are a good fit, so as cliché as it may be, just be yourself and speak for yourself! And based on that, you decide if it works for "you", just as "they" will.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

I would add that an interview works both ways.

I am also evaluating the company to see if they offer me what I'm looking for. I'm also looking for a "First Impression" :) :)

People tend to forget this part as does the HR department.

One HR rep sounded shocked on the phone when I informed her I was turning down her company's offer - must have been the first time she'd encountered that.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Good advice. Couldn’t agree more, Mr. Janson.
There is a pilot shortage right now. Employers need to be on their game, offering the best W&WC. Groveling is no longer an attribute. If the company you’ve applied to doesn’t meet your expectations, I suggest it would likely be the first of many disappointments to come if the job were accepted.
I’ve recently said no to a very good position with a very good company because they said the salary on offer was the “industry standard”. True enough if it were 1980, I might have otherwise agreed and been happy-er in a very different job today.
Good advice indeed.

cheers,
Gino Under :partyman:

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

One more small thing to add.

Be polite and be honest when you turn down a job.

I was on the phone a few years back with either the Chief Pilot or Director Flight Operations for a large Airline in the Gulf. He wanted to know why I wasn't joining his company. After I explained my reasons for declining the offer he said "I understand completely - call me if you ever need a job".

I got called by another Chief Pilot on my first day of groundschool at my present company - I set the interview process in motion while I took a few days to get an impression of my present company. After 3 days I liked what I saw so I politely cancelled the interview process and explained why I was doing that. Again I was told to contact them in the future if I was looking for work.

Professionals dealing with Professionals - that's the way it should be. Feel sorry for all of you having to deal with HR people.

Being able to turn down jobs is a nice position to be in - I consider myself very fortunate.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”