35 people injured on AC flight.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

35 people injured on AC flight.

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/air-cana ... -1.5208458

Try wearing your seatbelt. All the time.

The stupidity of people astounds me.
---------- ADS -----------

Hugh Jasshole
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: 35 people injured on AC flight.

Post by Hugh Jasshole »

It will be spun that it is AC's fault, they should have know about the turbulence! Just like fog and thunderstorms are the airlines fault also. Mankind is getting stupider at an alarming rate.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

You would think people would just automatically put their seatbelt on when they are seated, just like a car.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

Thank silicone valley that i have an app on my cell phone that determines where the CAT s are ! I just fire her up just before my legs fall into a paraplegic seizure due to modern airline seat constraints and presto! I can remove my seat belt and EVEN walk around because CAT is not forecasted for another 22.24 minutes ! Figure that ! :lol:

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Hugh Jasshole wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:38 pm It will be spun that it is AC's fault, they should have know about the turbulence! Just like fog and thunderstorms are the airlines fault also. Mankind is getting stupider at an alarming rate.
Of course if the CBC is posting it, its already ACs fault.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I fly with pilots that routinely unhook their shoulder harnesses for whatever perceived advantage. I don't get that either.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:02 pm I fly with pilots that routinely unhook their shoulder harnesses for whatever perceived advantage. I don't get that either.
I have never flown with anyone at an airline who doesn’t get rid of the shoulder harness above 10,000 feet.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

Shoulder belts are great for rapid deceleration and for ejection, conecting you to your parachute. The lap belt and 5th connection between your legs are what will hold you in your seat in turbulence. I also have never known anyone to wear shoulder belts above 10k unless we were flying an ejection seat.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:02 pm I fly with pilots that routinely unhook their shoulder harnesses for whatever perceived advantage. I don't get that either.
It's just more comfortable, and as mentioned there isn't a safety advantage.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

I also have never known anyone to wear shoulder belts above 10k unless we were flying an

Post by RatherBeFlying »

ejection seat."

This glider pilot bonked his head on the canopy over the foothills not that many days ago - plus I suspect a battery connector interrupted the circuit. I thought I had my straps tight (previous head bonks). They're even tighter now.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I wonder how many long it will be until seat belts become mandatory if seated on airplanes instead of just recommended.

Also I’ll add my self to the list of not knowing anyone who wears shoulder harnesses above 10000’ unless there is known turbulence, I personally find they contribute to bad posture.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

My couch is comfortable, and has no seatbelts. My airplane is less comfortable, and has seatbelts. I wear all of them all of the time. I'm not in my (or any) plane for comfort, so It'd rather be tied into it with all the belts. Perhaps not tightened right up, but at least latched in place.

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

How come on every 5 point harness, there is a latch you can press to just unbuckle the shoulder harnesses?

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Haven't flown AC in years but Delta suggests that you put on your belt while seated. I always do just for that reason. Common sense is not so common these days.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Rooster69 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 am How come on every 5 point harness, there is a latch you can press to just unbuckle the shoulder harnesses?
Not sure if this is sarcasm, but mine don't have that anyways. It's all or nothing, yet people still mess around and untighten just the 2 shoulder ones.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

altiplano wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:55 pm
Curious: you are flying at FL320. There is moderate and severe turbulence forecasted in the area. You are trying to avoid the worst of it, but you are getting shaken around. Do you leave your shoulder harnesses unhooked?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

... and do you lock down your harness?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

altiplano wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:25 am ... and do you lock down your harness?
Not sure what you mean exactly, but I wear my seatbelts/harness the same way at every time in the flight, whether I'm on short final or in cruise.

How about you answer my question now?
Curious: you are flying at FL320. There is moderate and severe turbulence forecasted in the area. You are trying to avoid the worst of it, but you are getting shaken around. Do you leave your shoulder harnesses unhooked?

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

But, the shoulder harness does nothing to keep you safe unless you're decelerating. It then holds your upper torso from tilting forward and prevents hitting your head on the glareshield, like a shoulder belt of a car helps when you have a head on collision.

The lap belt is what keeps you in the seat when vertical movement would otherwise throw you up against the roof. So... On landing, especially ditching on the Hudson, shoulder straps are great. It does nothing in cruise. Pushing negative g, you'll feel the lap belt hold your thighs and hips in the seat. Unless shoulder straps are locked, they do nothing to hold you in and even then, they don't do much in the vertical. You can lock your harness so you're immobilized but it's like being in a straight jacket and then you can't reach any switches or turn to look around. I never locked my harness when flying aerobatics, even with some decent negative g. Locking it was purely for an emergency landing.

Wear shoulder straps if you want, wear them because your couch doesn't have them (not sure what that point was) wear them because they're installed. If it's a short flight or you're single engine and might have a forced landing, sure.

But there's little purpose to them after V1 until landing. Sitting for 5 or 10 hours with those filthy straps rubbing on my shoulders serves no purpose in cruise.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Gannet167 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 am But, the shoulder harness does nothing to keep you safe unless you're decelerating. It then holds your upper torso from tilting forward and prevents hitting your head on the glareshield, like a shoulder belt of a car helps when you have a head on collision.

The lap belt is what keeps you in the seat when vertical movement would otherwise throw you up against the roof. So... On landing, especially ditching on the Hudson, shoulder straps are great. It does nothing in cruise. Pushing negative g, you'll feel the lap belt hold your thighs and hips in the seat. Unless shoulder straps are locked, they do nothing to hold you in and even then, they don't do much in the vertical. You can lock your harness so you're immobilized but it's like being in a straight jacket and then you can't reach any switches or turn to look around. I never locked my harness when flying aerobatics, even with some decent negative g. Locking it was purely for an emergency landing.

Wear shoulder straps if you want, wear them because your couch doesn't have them (not sure what that point was) wear them because they're installed. If it's a short flight or you're single engine and might have a forced landing, sure.

But there's little purpose to them after V1 until landing. Sitting for 5 or 10 hours with those filthy straps rubbing on my shoulders serves no purpose in cruise.
If they are unlocked, do they act like a car seatbelt where they will lock if they feel a sudden deceleration?

If you don't mind, I'm curious: you are flying at FL320. There is moderate and severe turbulence forecasted in the area. You are trying to avoid the worst of it, but you are getting shaken around. Do you leave your shoulder harnesses unhooked?

Return to “General Comments”