Looking for assistance finding accom for layover in HKG

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Looking for assistance finding accom for layover in HKG

Post by swordfish »

I am going to have a 16-hr layover in Kong Kong next week, and I am wondering if anyone can assist me by directing me to some inexpensive accommodation? Only things I can find are quite expensive...for a retired CP! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

Chinaflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Looking for assistance finding accom for layover in HKG

Post by Chinaflyer »

Depends what kind of stay you’re looking for. Silvermine resort in Mui Wo usually has much cheaper prices than the hotels closer to the airport. Cheap beer and a beach to hang out at. Ferry from there to the city about 30 mins.

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by swordfish »

Just somewhere to crash & burn for 12 hours, then off to Cebu. Can't afford 100$ each way to the city if I can avoid that.

Never been there before.

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

I'm making an assumption that you will be travelling on reduced rate interline passes/tickets? If you're going to Cebu and want to save money on a layover,consider changing your routing if possible. Thought about going to Cebu not long ago and looked at the options, one that worked out well was with a routing YVR - ICN - CEB which assumes you take AC from YVR to ICN and connecting to either OZ or KE to CEB within a few hours. It's a late arrival into CEB if that's something you don't mind. Coming back the routing I looked at was via Taipei TPE with a short connection avoiding another potential layover, that would require flying EVA BR CEB to TPE and AC TPE to YVR. I'll add it was also the lowest pricing on the flights when considering fares and taxes.

Here's a website that shows you weekly airline schedules.

https://www.amadeus.net/tools/timetables

Chinaflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chinaflyer »

Regal airport hotel is sometimes reasonably priced. No transport required. Just walk through the terminal. Nothing much else nearby unless you get in a taxi or take the airport express train. Novotel is nearby and connected to a small mall. It would be my first choice although maybe not the cheapest.

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by swordfish »

Many thanks, Splash, ChinaFlyer. No I'm not on an interline ticket or reduced rate. Got a pass from one of my buddies but it can't be used when the PNR includes non-AC codeshare sector. So I didn't use it.

I was booked originally via ICN with a CX/codeshare connection but there was some problem with the connecting flight. Forget now. Anyway 120$ later, then booked via HKG. The AC is the best fare of all to get to CEB from Yellowknife, believe it or not. (I later found out that my HKG connection (KA) flies directly to Davao, which is really where I want to go.)

I have booked a room at the Royal View, but could use some suggestions as to how to get there cheaply. Regal was very expensive (400 to 1000 per night)

Return to “Air Canada”