Is this even doable?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

BadLanding
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is this even doable?

Post by BadLanding »

I'm hoping to eventually get my ATPL but obviously need to go through the grind!

I "started" ppl training in January but wasn't able to take my first flight until late April since most have been getting cancelled due to weather!

I'm able to do training after work on week days and weekends but usually there isn't a plane + instructor available. To make things even better most of my flights get cancelled due to weather the few times everything lines up.

I'll be lucky if I can even get my PPL finished by the end of the year. Is this typical for Canada? If i can't even get 45 hours in a year what chance is there of EVER building up 1500? (Or hell just getting a CPL finished)
---------- ADS -----------

Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is this even doable?

Post by Vsquared »

I wasn't working full time when I did my training, so my experience is a bit different.
However, I went from never flying to m-ifr cpl in 4.5 months.

Not sure where you're training either, but if you can't get time in on a weekend I would try a different school maybe ?
I had to book all my flights 3 weeks in advance, and would have 1-2 cancelled due to weather in that 3 week period.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Are you planning on paying for 1500 hours?
BadLanding wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:59 pm I'm hoping to eventually get my ATPL but obviously need to go through the grind!

I "started" ppl training in January but wasn't able to take my first flight until late April since most have been getting cancelled due to weather!

I'm able to do training after work on week days and weekends but usually there isn't a plane + instructor available. To make things even better most of my flights get cancelled due to weather the few times everything lines up.

I'll be lucky if I can even get my PPL finished by the end of the year. Is this typical for Canada? If i can't even get 45 hours in a year what chance is there of EVER building up 1500? (Or hell just getting a CPL finished)

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by triplebarrel »

Book every day to fly after work and 2 flights Saturday and 2 flights Sunday. That way half will get canceled then you could perhaps get the other half.

Monday to Friday book for 8 pm since the weather has settled down enough, this is USUALLY the case, not always.
Weekends book for 8 am when it's calm then again for 8 pm when it's calm. This is exactly what I did for my ppl since I worked 7 days a week. So on weekends, I flew before work then after work. Weekdays I went from work to the airport. It wasn't a mirror image every week, I had days off and cancellations obviously but I got the PPL in 4.5 months or so maybe closer to 5. Then I did my CPL in 5 months. I don't know how buddy did everything in 4.5 don't use that for planning purposes, that's an extremely impressive time frame.

And make sure you make all these bookings ahead of time, like 2 or 3 weeks ahead of time or else you won't get anything done. There's a lot of people trying to get their licenses right now and all instructors are getting jobs at the airlines so your gonna have to try harder!

BTW you pay for PPL,CPL,MULTI,IFR, but the rest for the ATPL(1500hrs) you'll get on the job just in case you think you have to pay for them. Do some research on all the licensing in Canada, pretty standard around the work either way. PPL average is 65 hours, CPL you'll be time building to get to the required 200. Multi is 10-15 hours avg, IFR not sure maybe another 15 hrs in the multi if you want group 1

Good luck

Return to “Flight Training”