New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

matrix77
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New hire bids

Post by matrix77 »

Any information on the equipment bids on July 22 class?
---------- ADS -----------

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

YUL 4 classic
YVR 7 RJ & 4 Q400

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

How can a company expect you to take a job where you don't find out your base until after the first day of training.

That is sketch.

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:13 am How can a company expect you to take a job where you don't find out your base until after the first day of training.

That is sketch.
Agree

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:13 am How can a company expect you to take a job where you don't find out your base until after the first day of training.

That is sketch.
You know the bases before you even apply and you know there's a risk of not getting what you want. Don't apply if that's sketch. That's a question they ask in the interview as well "how would you react to being based in 'x'?"

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

goleafsgo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:50 am

That is sketch.
You know the bases before you even apply and you know there's a risk of not getting what you want. Don't apply if that's sketch. That's a question they ask in the interview as well "how would you react to being based in 'x'?"
You are absolutely correct. You should know what you are signing up for when you apply.

That being said, it's still beyond me how Jazz thinks that they can expect someone to sign a job offer without knowing where it is.

Encore give you your base in your job offer. I've seen a lot of people bitch about Encore, but they really have got one up on Jazz in this instance.

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:09 pm
goleafsgo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:50 am

That is sketch.
You are absolutely correct. You should know what you are signing up for when you apply.

That being said, it's still beyond me how Jazz thinks that they can expect someone to sign a job offer without knowing where it is.

Encore give you your base in your job offer. I've seen a lot of people bitch about Encore, but they really have got one up on Jazz in this instance.
Exactly, I agree that Jazz can do whatever they want "your company, your rules".
But on a "pilot shortage" environment, maybe they could get more applicants or applicants with more experience if they give the base in the job offer. The unknown base for sure keeps me away from Jazz.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

And even if you have a base assigned in day two, you can bid to change base and it won't take more than 2-3 months to have it.

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

All I have to say is, "Wow."

I'll bet you if it was AC they were going to...no problem.

If the base placement is a problem at Jazz then go work for Encore.

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

To be fair, at least AC gives you a few days to figure it out and talk it over with the ones who it’ll affect.

Jazz was just a simple “you got 24 hours good luck”, which to me was unexpected.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

speedah wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:31 pm To be fair, at least AC gives you a few days to figure it out and talk it over with the ones who it’ll affect.

Jazz was just a simple “you got 24 hours good luck”, which to me was unexpected.
"To be fair" you should do a little research before you accept a job about how things go. You're clearly on AvCanada and have been reading posts etc.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

speedah wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:31 pm To be fair, at least AC gives you a few days to figure it out and talk it over with the ones who it’ll affect.

Isn’t the equipment draw at AC day 3? Compared to day 2 at Jazz. And you have lots of time to talk it over at Jazz, you know the bases before starting so talk it over then and have a plan in case you don’t get your base to start with......or go to encore if it’s that big of a deal, at least then you can just flow to WJ without having to go to AC and have an unknown base again

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

goleafsgo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:59 am

Isn’t the equipment draw at AC day 3? Compared to day 2 at Jazz. And you have lots of time to talk it over at Jazz, you know the bases before starting so talk it over then and have a plan in case you don’t get your base to start with......or go to encore if it’s that big of a deal, at least then you can just flow to WJ without having to go to AC and have an unknown base again
I understand your point of view where, as an applicant, I should do the research and see that I might not get the base I want.

My counter-argument is that a company that values it's employees will give them an offer for a certain base BEFORE the employee signs the offer of employment. It's about allowing your employees the ability to plan their lives. I am not applying to Jazz for the exact reason that I want to have a family and not have my life be dictated by my employer. It creeps too close to slavery for me.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:06 am

I understand your point of view where, as an applicant, I should do the research and see that I might not get the base I want.

My counter-argument is that a company that values it's employees will give them an offer for a certain base BEFORE the employee signs the offer of employment. It's about allowing your employees the ability to plan their lives. I am not applying to Jazz for the exact reason that I want to have a family and not have my life be dictated by my employer. It creeps too close to slavery for me.
I guess it's a matter of point of view.

When I joined the RCAF 35 yrs ago, having to pack up and move every 3-4 years really sucked compare to my mama's basement. I totally understand what you mean. But joining Jazz after that didn't seem so bad. It was actually pretty good.

I mean I do have an ex-wife, own a house, have shared custody of kids, etc... and it''s not tooooooo bad. Not to mention that with your arguments... I feel like a real sucker :(

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:06 am

I do see where you're coming from. I'm sure it's tougher for Jazz to tell every single person what they're going to get before they're hired. Probably easier for Encore/Sunwing/Sky Regional to tell someone beforehand since they only have one type of aircraft each and 2 bases. I'd assume it'd be harder to do with 4 bases and 3 different types. How would they choose who gets the RJ and who gets the classic? You'd end up with a lot of people not accepting the job until they get the jet

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

goleafsgo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 amYou'd end up with a lot of people not accepting the job until they get the jet
You would end up with people accepting the job that they actually want instead of being tricked into it.

Honestly, it's not difficult for Encore to offer a base before hand. They asked me what I wanted and I told them. When it was time to come back with an offer, they knew what I wanted and were willing to offer it.

I'm not arguing that deciding the aircraft has to be done prior, but out of respect of those who you are hiring, giving them the choice of base before they quit their jobs and start training at Jazz is the right thing to do.

From what I heard, they offered 7 people YVR and 4 people YYZ this ground school. It would be easy to offer 7 people YVR and 4 people YYZ in the job offer. If they get rejections, they can offer more people.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

I doubt they have any idea what the bases and types are going to be a month before ground school.

At AC things can change from the initial day they tell you to when you bid few days later. Jazz is no different.

Don't like it, don't go.

Everyone gets their base more or less within a few months, and Jazz is a million times better than Encore in every regard when it comes to lifestyle. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:12 pmYou're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
I haven't seen the lifestyle at Encore, but I am right to be skeptical about Jazz based on the fact that they make you agree to move somewhere before telling you where.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 pm
Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:12 pmYou're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
I haven't seen the lifestyle at Encore, but I am right to be skeptical about Jazz based on the fact that they make you agree to move somewhere before telling you where.
They have a commuting policy and therefore aren't telling you to move anywhere. As has been stated multiple times, people get the base they want pretty quickly.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 pm
Like I said. Don't go if you don't like it.

It will be a mistake IMO if that's the reason you say no, but we all live with the choices we make.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”