Are Amber Alerts affecting your flight safety?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Are Amber Alerts affecting your flight safety?

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Maynard wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:39 pm Should his phone have been on during the takeoff roll? Distraction is a detriment to aviation safety, not alerts.
He was busy sending a text on the roll 🙄
---------- ADS -----------

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Heliian wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:14 am Shut your phone off.

F@cking crybabies.
I don't see how you could think this is a viable solution.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Victory wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:34 am

F@cking crybabies.
Well, there are several ways of avoiding your phone. Turn it off completely, put in airplane mode, put in another room.

If you are expecting a call then I'm sorry you need to have the phone on and near you but in that case, you are expecting to be woken.

Again, this just goes back to anonymous a holes whining about how THEY were inconvenienced. Get over yourselves, try thinking about others for once.

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

It doesn't bother me at all, I look at my phone and I got back to sleep. My daughter wakes me up way more times per night than a simple alert that makes my phone buzz.
Don't people have better things to complain about?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

DCL415 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:11 am It doesn't bother me at all, I look at my phone and I got back to sleep. My daughter wakes me up way more times per night than a simple alert that makes my phone buzz.
Don't people have better things to complain about?
+1. They’re starting to sound like people who buy a house by an airport and complain about airplane noise.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

Heliian wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:54 am

F@cking crybabies.
Well, there are several ways of avoiding your phone. Turn it off completely, put in airplane mode, put in another room.

If you are expecting a call then I'm sorry you need to have the phone on and near you but in that case, you are expecting to be woken.

Again, this just goes back to anonymous a holes whining about how THEY were inconvenienced. Get over yourselves, try thinking about others for once.
The fact you are saying this on a PILOT forum means either 1) you aren't a pilot 2) you are and never have been on reserve or 3) you're one of those old pilots who forgets what life was like before that cushy 777 CA job.

Go @#$! off.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Warden wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:50 am

The fact you are saying this on a PILOT forum means either 1) you aren't a pilot 2) you are and never have been on reserve or 3) you're one of those old pilots who forgets what life was like before that cushy 777 CA job.

Go @#$! off.
Indeed!

If the government wants us to read amber alerts mandatory they should make reserve illegal so we can switch off our phones while sleeping.

Makes everyone happy right?

Think about all the children we will save!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

digits_ wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:07 am

Go @#$! off.
Indeed!

If the government wants us to read amber alerts mandatory they should make reserve illegal so we can switch off our phones while sleeping.

Makes everyone happy right?

Think about all the children we will save!
I vote yes! I'd happily turn off my phone every night if I could. I already don't have it in my room on nights I'm not working. I have a normal alarm clock.

Everyone here is talking about child safety. How about the passenger safety on the aircraft, when BOTH your pilots got woken up multiple times the night before due to an Amber Alert in Nipissing?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Obviously most people don't understand the devices they are using. All this bitching and complaining and all you need to do is turn off the emergency audio notification. There is more to a smart phone than just the on and off switch. Jeeezus!!

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Go @#$! off.
No, I have never been on reserve, but I assume you are just waiting for the call? If you are on reserve with a company, i would also assume that they have a FRMS to address such issues. If they don't then you should bring it up with your HR and not just bitch anonymously.

And... it's an AVIATION forum guy. There are all types of professionals here. myself, I specialize in helicopters and have both wrenched and flown. I will admit that I'm older than these millenial whiners, I grew up without the "convenience" of being tied to an electronic device 24/7. To keep pace, I am connected almost 24/7 and understand fully that if my phone is on and near me, I may receive amber alerts, drunken texts from friends around the globe at all hours and this seasons biggest annoyance, political robocalls/texts.

So no, I will not "Go @#$! off"

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

valleyboy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:48 am Obviously most people don't understand the devices they are using. All this bitching and complaining and all you need to do is turn off the emergency audio notification. There is more to a smart phone than just the on and off switch. Jeeezus!!
Not possible on some phones unfortunately

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Turn Government Alerts on or off
By default, Government Alerts are turned on for your device.* When you receive a government alert, you hear a special sound that's similar to an alarm. If you want to turn these alerts on or off, follow these steps:

Go to Settings > Notifications.
Scroll to the very bottom of the screen.
Under Government Alerts, turn the type of alert on or off.*
*Government Alerts are supported when using a SIM card from a supported carrier. Your Apple Watch can receive these alerts if your iPhone can receive them and is nearby, or your Apple Watch is on a Wi-Fi network. With a cellular plan from a supported carrier, your Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + cellular) can receive these alerts without your iPhone nearby. For more information, contact your carrier.

*In some countries, you may not be able to disable Government Alerts.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

valleyboy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:48 am Obviously most people don't understand the devices they are using. All this bitching and complaining and all you need to do is turn off the emergency audio notification. There is more to a smart phone than just the on and off switch. Jeeezus!!
Can’t opt out of amber alerts in Canukistan. I looked into it... trust me. I was woken up the other night too. Amber doesn’t respect “do not disturb” setting on my iPhone. As long as airplane mode still works.... I use it as an alarm clock because I’m not smart enough to figure out most alarm clocks. :lol: I do feel for the guys on reserve though. That shrieking tone does wake you up.

Let’s Go Brandon
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:25 pm
C-GGGQ wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:21 pm Turn it off when you go to bed. Hell turn the whole phone off. It's what I do. Airplane mode of I need my alarm (though easily remedied by getting a cheap alarm clock)
If you are on reserve... kinda hard to do. I wish I could!

I set my phone on do not disturb until my reserve time. At which it goes to ringer, and allows crewsked to call. However even if it's on do not disturb I still get the Amber alerts.
You can turn off text alerts and leave your phone on for that Crewsked call

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Heliian wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:50 am If you are on reserve with a company, i would also assume that they have a FRMS to address such issues. If they don't then you should bring it up with your HR and not just bitch anonymously.
Of course. It says get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep during your rest period but leave your phone on while sleeping in case we need you.

The company will argue they do not send out amber alerts and thus are not responsible for interrupted sleep.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Granted I'm only 703 but as far as I understand reserve rules they can't "need" me on my rest. If they call... Now my rest is interrupted, and restarts. So I don't understand "keep your phone on" how about no.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

All you can really do is put phone in Airplane Mode then set alarm for beginning of Reserve time - wake up, change mode, go back to sleep(if able)

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

It depends on the phone. I looked at my buddies Iphone X yesterday because he got woken up by it as well, and after some reading, apparently with IOS 12 and above, the function in the notification setting was removed, so you no longer have the option to turn off the alerts, thus the only option is to put your phone on airplane mode

On my LG G7, the phone actually has an app that is programmed into the phone via the OS updates (like all the other bloatware that comes pre installed from the mobile carrier). I actually figured out a way to uninstall it off my phone using an adb shell method which I found online. On the Samsung galaxy S8 (and likely all other samsung models), the alert system is integrated via the text messaging app, so all one needs to do is go into the app and turn off the notifications and the phone will never show or ring the alert, the only way you'll know is when you go check your texts, there will be a message showing the alert

I hope that this may give some insight on how it's possible to disable the alert... each phone manufacturer has designed the alert system in a different way, so for those with iphones it looks like you're out of luck without using airplane as a method

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I guess I'm lucky then and glad I bought the phone I did because I an able to turn off the audible notification. I still get the alert but no noise.
The amber alerts are not sms based but a separate LTE channel. The only possible way to block them completely is turn your sim card off. Possibly with branded phones the carriers have disabled that function.
Amber alerts are a major tool but as pointed out the technology is flawed and needs rethinking. Let's face it if you are in bed you can't contribute much if anything to an alert. Everyone should have the ability to at least silence them.
If I was on layover or had a flight assignment scheduled all phones were silenced for my 8 hours, especially in hotels. I would even unplug the house phone. To many calls from drunks or wrong room.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Damndest thing, I've yet to get any annoying alerts on an older iPhone - just flick the little switch to "silent". All the phone does is vibrate, no loud alert tones - except your alarm if it is set.

Seems a non-issue to me, but this is the internet so bitch away.

Return to “General Comments”