Will a bad written exam mark affect my career?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Will a bad written exam mark affect my career?

Post by shawnthesheep »

As the title states, will a bad PPL written exam affect my career negatively?

I'm attending Mount Royals aviation program in the fall.

I got a high 60 on my PPL written (first attempt) partially because of the lack of ground school + other commitments I had.

Ended up getting a 111/124 for my PPL flight test.
---------- ADS -----------

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Will a bad written exam mark affect my career?

Post by GoinVertical »

No.

There are no marks / scores on your license.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

The bad mark in itself won't, but it could be an indication of a deeper problem.

Respectfully, the PPL written is not that hard... If you are planning to make a career out of aviation, you'd have to figure out why you had a bad mark.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Nothing a degree can't fix. :roll:

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:52 pm The bad mark in itself won't, but it could be an indication of a deeper problem.

Respectfully, the PPL written is not that hard... If you are planning to make a career out of aviation, you'd have to figure out why you had a bad mark.
Could you expand on what you mean by indication of a deeper problem? Just for some context at the time, I was working 20 hours a week plus going to high school full time and flying. I did end up cramming studying into a week + never had formal ground school. I was using the TC study guide and FTGU. It does worry me a little bit that a prospective employer would be turned away by such a thing.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

shawnthesheep wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:01 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:52 pm The bad mark in itself won't, but it could be an indication of a deeper problem.

Could you expand on what you mean by indication of a deeper problem? Just for some context at the time, I was working 20 hours a week plus going to high school full time and flying. I did end up cramming studying into a week + never had formal ground school. I was using the TC study guide and FTGU. It does worry me a little bit that a prospective employer would be turned away by such a thing.
If you have trouble studying the PPL material, then you'll have more trouble studying for the INRAT and the CPL written.
So if your bad mark is due to lack of studying or effort, then that can easily be fixed by studying harder next time.
If you had a bad mark because you have trouble understanding the materials, then it won't be getting easier. More instructing/tutoring or groundschool could help, but is not a miracle thing.

Once you get hired at an operator, or eventually an airline, you'll be expected to study a lot of information in a relatively short time. You don't need to be superhuman to pass, but you don't need to superhuman to pass your PPL written either.

Hope that helps. It would be a shame to spend all the money on flying only to find out you can't get past the written requirements.

Only you can answer the question as to what went wrong.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:06 pm
shawnthesheep wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:01 pm

If you have trouble studying the PPL material, then you'll have more trouble studying for the INRAT and the CPL written.
So if your bad mark is due to lack of studying or effort, then that can easily be fixed by studying harder next time.
If you had a bad mark because you have trouble understanding the materials, then it won't be getting easier. More instructing/tutoring or groundschool could help, but is not a miracle thing.

Once you get hired at an operator, or eventually an airline, you'll be expected to study a lot of information in a relatively short time. You don't need to be superhuman to pass, but you don't need to superhuman to pass your PPL written either.

Hope that helps. It would be a shame to spend all the money on flying only to find out you can't get past the written requirements.

Only you can answer the question as to what went wrong.
Thank you.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

Don’t sweat it and just move along, you passed.
Have the shit in those exams are useless anyways...

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

It's not something that will ever come up - unless you bring it up.

Most likely you will only be asked, do you qualify for this job? As in, do you hold a CPL and applicable ratings - yes/no?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I failed my PSTAR. I seem to have recovered.

We're not lawyers- no one cares about your marks.

Having said that, if you're someone who consistently has difficulty passing exams, you're going to have a difficult time on type rating courses.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Only company I have ever heard of asking for a record of that sort of thing is AC. And even then they were more interested in the flight test marks, not the written tests.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

AC definitely does not ask for flight test marks. Unless that was decades ago.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Hangry wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:48 am AC definitely does not ask for flight test marks. Unless that was decades ago.
Everyone I talk to right now going through the process with AC has been asked for a printout from TC’s General Aviation Online Services page which includes all your flight test and written test history. Not sure if that’s different for OTS people vs those from Express, etc.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Kaykay wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:42 pm
Hangry wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:48 am AC definitely does not ask for flight test marks. Unless that was decades ago.
Everyone I talk to right now going through the process with AC has been asked for a printout from TC’s General Aviation Online Services page which includes all your flight test and written test history. Not sure if that’s different for OTS people vs those from Express, etc.
Well then. I stand corrected.

Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuza »

shawnthesheep wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:48 pm As the title states, will a bad PPL written exam affect my career negatively?

I'm attending Mount Royals aviation program in the fall.

I got a high 60 on my PPL written (first attempt) partially because of the lack of ground school + other commitments I had.

Ended up getting a 111/124 for my PPL flight test.
No. I got a partial on my ppl written and aced the second half then had no problem with cpl/inrat/and iatra. Prepping for AIRAF now. And have already been offered king air jobs and others. Point is - it’s in your flying and attitude, and not every pilot exams well. Learn from it, study what you missed and carry on! You passed! Of course... this comes from someone who never lets her mistakes in exams go ... for eons. Much to the dismay of EVERYONE around her. Hahahaha.

Good luck!

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

What do you a medical student that finishes last in their class....Dr.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

I am not in the industry just a GA ppl. But I don’t think any employer will be asking you for marks. And what do you call a guy who made 51% in med school? Doctor.

Apparently i was too late for the doctor joke too

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

shawnthesheep wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:48 pm As the title states, will a bad PPL written exam affect my career negatively?
Only if you let it. Only out know why you got the mark you did, and I promise it was a factor that you have control over, so use that to plot a course correction for your future studies.

As for whether an employer will ever know about this, only if you tell them. I have specifically sought out exam results on past pilots of mine (long story - nothing evil) and couldn’t get access to them. You may find yourself in a job where you need to provide proof of passing an exam for various reasons but that’s not until IATRA or ATPL time, if ever.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

Never give up. Failure is natural if you want to succeed.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

No. Not at all. Airlines and companies don't care about written exams, they care if you need a lot of extra flight training and fail rides.

Return to “Flight Training”