Reapplying for lost radio license

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tubkal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Reapplying for lost radio license

Post by Tubkal »

Hello

I misplaced my radio license ages ago, but now I need it for some paperwork and I can’t find a way to apply for a copy. I tried through TC and Industry Canada but I didn’t get any assistance. Any thoughts?

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Reapplying for lost radio license

Post by C-GGGQ »

Often wondered the same. Still have mine but it's so faded/ worn after years of being tucked into those old paper license holders before the blue passport, that it's barely legible.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

You can apply in writing with Industry Canada for a replacement certificate. I did it several years ago. They were very helpful and the process took less than a week.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/015.nsf/e ... html#roca4
I lost my Restricted Operator Certificate - Aeronautical (ROC-A) and would like a new copy. How do I go about getting a copy mailed to me? Is there a fee?
You may submit a request to have your certificate reprinted to the Radio Operator Certificate Service Centre (ROCSC) via email, telephone or the web service "Request a Certificate Reprint" on the Professional Radio Operators Services page (If you have not already created a user account you can do so from the My Account page). There is no fee for replacing your certificate.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I like how job postings that require an atpl, multi ifr, a bunch of flight hours etc find it necessary to say you require a radio licence. Like what pilot doesn't have a radio licence or would think it's not necessary to obtain a commercial flying job?

DirtyDashDriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DirtyDashDriver »

I like how job postings that require an atpl, multi ifr, a bunch of flight hours etc find it necessary to say you require a radio licence. Like what pilot doesn't have a radio licence or would think it's not necessary to obtain a commercial flying job?
That, my friend, is government bureaucracy at its best.

Your licenses and ratings come from Transport Canada.

Your radio license comes from Industry Canada.

They are two distinct licenses and that is why you have to carry both.

Although you cannot get one without the other, you still have to prove you have the first. Ergo, the radio license becomes like a drivers license: if you get stopped without it, it doesn't matter that you have other documents that prove you've got it. That little bit of magical paper decrees your right to use radiotelephony equipment in an aviation setting. Without it, you don't have that right.

So, put the thing in the back of your ADB or one of those $20 license holders from aviation world, and smile fondly every 6 months when you pull the ADB out for your PPC and say the obligatory prayer to the aviation gods "oh yeah, that thing."

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

DirtyDashDriver wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:20 pm
That, my friend, is government bureaucracy at its best.

Your licenses and ratings come from Transport Canada.

Your radio license comes from Industry Canada.

They are two distinct licenses and that is why you have to carry both.

Although you cannot get one without the other, you still have to prove you have the first. Ergo, the radio license becomes like a drivers license: if you get stopped without it, it doesn't matter that you have other documents that prove you've got it. That little bit of magical paper decrees your right to use radiotelephony equipment in an aviation setting. Without it, you don't have that right.

So, put the thing in the back of your ADB or one of those $20 license holders from aviation world, and smile fondly every 6 months when you pull the ADB out for your PPC and say the obligatory prayer to the aviation gods "oh yeah, that thing."
Yes, bureaucratic b.s. it all makes sense now! Like others have said mine now looks more like an old piece of Kleenex than anything else, but I'll treasure it forever.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Yes, it is a dumb system. The whole radio licence thing is a long forgotten thing that nobody in the "government" even knows about. Some clerk will rubber stamp a paper if you have some sort of proof that you had one. Not sure how it works now, chief flying instructors had the authority to issue them in my day, but that was 43 years ago.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Operating any radio station requires a license.

I had my roc way before I flew anything, you need it to operate any aviation radio, not just the ones in the aircraft.

Sure, it seems outdated but it at least means you're competent enough to use a radio properly. (Ftu's love to rubber stamp them though)

Any conflicting opinions please advise. :)

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

No conflicting opinion here. I agree.

Trouble is, the system is so $#&&ed up that it takes a rocket surgeon (sarcasm is intentional) to even track down the person who can actually issue you that piece of paper.

Cheers

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I have been flying since 1953 and have never ever been asked to produce a radio license.

I did have to demonstrate that I could read morse code though.

Tubkal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tubkal »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:44 am You can apply in writing with Industry Canada for a replacement certificate. I did it several years ago. They were very helpful and the process took less than a week.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/015.nsf/e ... html#roca4
I lost my Restricted Operator Certificate - Aeronautical (ROC-A) and would like a new copy. How do I go about getting a copy mailed to me? Is there a fee?
You may submit a request to have your certificate reprinted to the Radio Operator Certificate Service Centre (ROCSC) via email, telephone or the web service "Request a Certificate Reprint" on the Professional Radio Operators Services page (If you have not already created a user account you can do so from the My Account page). There is no fee for replacing your certificate.
I emailed/left voicemails many times... never heard back from them

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Tubkal wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:45 amI emailed/left voicemails many times... never heard back from them
Did you try emailing? or using the web service?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I hope you have not been using a radio without a license.

I presume you tried this link but in case it helps..
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/015.nsf/eng/h_00022.html
C.W.E. wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:42 am I have been flying since 1953 and have never ever been asked to produce a radio license.

I did have to demonstrate that I could read morse code though.
-.-. .... ..- -.-. -.- / -.-. .- -. / -.-- --- ..- / ... - .. .-.. .-.. / .-. . .- -.. / .. -

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I hope you have not been using a radio without a license.
I went into my junk drawer and looked for my radio license and could not find it.

However I did find my original ALTP license from the early sixties and on that license It has the radio license listed with the other ratings etc.

But if I couldn't have found it I would not lose any sleep over it. :mrgreen:

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

Email these folks, 100% guaranteed to work:

Spectrum Certificates / Certificats du spectre email: ic.ROCSC-CSCOR.ic@canada.ca

Just let em know you need a reprint of your ROC-A sent to you. Done.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

... ..- .-. . / -... ..- - / .-- .... .- - / .- -... --- ..- - / - .... . / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

Tubkal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tubkal »

I called hopelessly but finally someone picked up, then my instinct was saying ‘oh hi, are you actually a person?’. The lady politely laughed and apologized for their unavailability.

I got my roc on the mail today, thank you folks.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Do you need a licence if you're nordo?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

no

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
5400AirportRdSouth
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by 5400AirportRdSouth »

I was shocked as well when a live person actually answered the phone at Industry Canada...totally caught me off guard, thought I had the wrong number..

Gave her my birthday, she looked me up and, heard her punch a button and say " its on its way ".

The efficiency and ease of the interaction made me even more suspicious... no way in tarnation that was a government department. i suspect they are still funding a little old lady in Gatineau who just takes care of things...

Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism

Return to “General Comments”