What to expect as a new hire

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What to expect as a new hire

Post by Warden »

Fair enough, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The sooner the Max debacle is fixed, the sooner we can all go back to status quo.
---------- ADS -----------

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

Warden wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:21 am Fair enough, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The sooner the Max debacle is fixed, the sooner we can all go back to status quo.
In regards to our dry and wet lease aircraft that come over from Europe, they are contractually obligated to SW's operation just like SW is contractually obligated to this year's summer deployments. SW was unable to keep it planes here except for one. So we'll see how many plans come over.

Last edited by GoHomeLeg on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:59 am
Warden wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:29 am
boeingboy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:38 am Yea - the 340 is there to clean up the mess that is Eastern airlines.

I wouldn't write off the winter season because of the Max. They will probably be flying by the end of the year, there would only be 5 or 6 in the fleet then anyways - and with such a small number - when they are cleared to fly again they will be the first ones airborne as they are in active storage....unlike Air Canada and WestJet.
Yes Sunwing only had 5-6 planned in the fleet however you need to remember the airlines they lease from also had a lot of MAX aircraft they were counting on. Because of that, you may see them just trying to cover their own flying in Europe and not have enough aircraft to lease to Sunwing for our winter season.

And no I can't say anything certain, it's all just rumors. However in the last 4-5 months a large amount of very Sr Captains at SW have left and joined AC including pilots who helped start the company and most recently one of the heads of the training department. If that many top seniority pilots are leaving including IIRC the number 2 guy, you might wonder why and what they might know that you don't.
They might know something but probably not. The manager that left actually wasn’t very senior at all as far as the seniority list goes. And as for the senior guys (and gals) that left, there is one common theme. They have their money made. I know two of them have said the only reason they left was to do something different and they could afford the the 200-400k paycut.
Every longtimer who left, left for a different reason, and we all know why. Some were well liked and it is disappointing they left and will be missed, but they wanted to try something new and money wasn't much a factor in the short term. And for some money wasn't a factor at all. I think a lot will regret their decision.

Last edited by GoHomeLeg on Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

NG737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NG737 »

Hi folks

Has anyone heard back from the July interviews for First Officer positions? anyone know if they call references, etc?
Thanks

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

I have not heard back from SW but I also haven't checked if they have called my references. I will probably call them in the next few days to see if they got a reference check from SW to get an idea.

NG737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NG737 »

Thanks very much for the reply mate, they have not called my references yet, I think the interview process just ended last week Friday, so perhaps they are still trying to select FO's from the interview pool, this is just my opinion only, would always be nice to know a bit in advanced if you are in. Good luck to everyone . cheers

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Got the call last week for a Sept 9th GS date. Timeline was as follows:

- Initial application August 2018, no response received
- Re-applied mid-March when the portal was re-opened
- Contacted by email at the end of April for a May interview
- Interviewed May 7
- Received an email June 6 stating that the interview was successful and that the next step would be to check references
- References contacted ~1 week after email
.... lots of patiently waiting :wink: ....
- Finally contacted on July 24 for the September ground school

It certainly felt like a lot of waiting at times, but my contact individual throughout the application process was extremely courteous and professional and always responded to my inquiries politely and in a timely manner! If it seems like the process is moving slowly, hang in there - it sounds like they’re busy and working as hard as they can to get everyone’s application processed. Very excited to be starting with Sunwing in September!

mollok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mollok »

Cavalier44, what kind of experience do you have?
Interview july 2018 and I'm still waiting.

Thanks

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

mollok wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:26 am Cavalier44, what kind of experience do you have?
Interview july 2018 and I'm still waiting.

Thanks
~5500 TT
~1000 Jet PIC (E175)
~4000 Multi-Engine SIC (DHC6/DH8/E175)

Not trying to be presumptuous, but if you interviewed in July 2018 and you’re still waiting for a response, perhaps it might be a good idea to reach out to the appropriate person and ask about the status of your application?

Cheers, best of luck!

mollok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mollok »

It's what I've done this morning, and the answer was I'm still in the pool and to be patient...
thanks.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

What's your experience ?
Got internal reference ?

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Anyone got an update from last months interviews? I did mine two and a half weeks ago and haven’t heard anything yet. Have there been PFOs sent out or is it just a matter of patiently waiting? :rolleyes:

Mart
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mart »

Unfortunately got the PFO, GS scheduled mid September. Congrats to those who got in. 😉

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:50 pm Anyone got an update from last months interviews? I did mine two and a half weeks ago and haven’t heard anything yet. Have there been PFOs sent out or is it just a matter of patiently waiting? :rolleyes:
Just emailed them today and they told me they are still reviewing candidates interviewed in July.

mollok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mollok »

kiaszceski wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:38 pm What's your experience ?
Got internal reference ?
kiaszceski, got two internal references ( both captain), and I've around 7800 TT , 2000h 705 capt ( 800 on CRJ), and ACP...

Upsxx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Upsxx »

Congrats for everyone in the 9 September class. Anyone leaving from Montreal? I’ll be driving the 8th if anybody wants to hop in !

Upsxx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Upsxx »

Hey, congrats to everyone on the 9th September class. I’m leaving Montreal on the 8th if anyone wants to hop in!

Tap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tap »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:43 pm
Tap wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:44 pm Estimate for Monthly take home for a new hire?
I averaged over $4000 take-home per month, but I do mostly pairings and therefore per-diems are included in that figure, and I only do 3 or 4 days of OT per year.
Thanks, would you have a rough guess of take home pay, no per diems.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Does anyone know what their most current pay scale is for FOs? Is the collective agreement 3 still the latest one?Also, when is the next GS scheduled for? Got the email saying I was successful in the interview. Any idea about more probable base (YYZ or YUL) for upcoming class? Upgrade times? Super excited to get started at the big orange.🏝

Return to “Sunwing”