Pilot logbook entries

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Alex335
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pilot logbook entries

Post by Alex335 »

Hi,

I’ve been searching online trying to find info on recording aircraft registration in a pilot logbook. Is the entire registration supposed to be recorded (ex, CGxxx, or just Gxxx)?

I recently purchased a new logbook after finishing my PPL to re-write in a logbook with more columns like the . Professional Pilot Logbook. In my original logbook I’ve always recorded the registrations as Gxxx, but noticed several CPL students including the C which I figured was a given.

When I referred to the CARs it states the aircraft registration as a mandatory item (when used in pursuit of licences/ratings). I guess technically including the C is correct, but is this required or more just overkill?

When going over the CARs on logbook entries I also noticed that entering the departure airport is also mandatory. This was one of the main reasons I switched log books since my original Hammond Aviation log book omitted the Depart/Arrival/Intermediate flight route columns.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Pilot logbook entries

Post by AirFrame »

Until you make a switch to flying non-Canadian aircraft, I don't think anyone would find fault with leaving the "C" off the registrations. If they do, a note added to the first, or last, page in the book with a statement that "all flights in this book were conducted in Canadian aircraft" and leave it at that.

When/if you start flying aircraft from other countries, you'll want to start using the full registration. The UK uses G as the prefix like we use C, so your older entries may confuse someone who only looks at your logbook in passing. They have five-digit registrations too, so a four-digit starting with G should still make them look closer, but you never know...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I nevet really understood why people abbreviate callsigns and airport identifiers. You are in aviation. The majority of pilots will at some point fly internationally. But even for the local flights around the block, your registration starts with a C. It is even worse with people just giving the last 3 digits.

Anyway, rant over.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

This thread is very valuable. I used to think I worried a lot about insignificant details.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

digits_ wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 pm I nevet really understood why people abbreviate callsigns and airport identifiers. You are in aviation. The majority of pilots will at some point fly internationally.
Depends on your exposure to aviation. Some of us who will only ever be Private, GA pilots (and there are a lot of us) may fly internationally but vanishing few will do it in a foreign aircraft. Even those who do, will likely not cause any confusion... The airport identifiers written in for departure and destination points will probably correlate to let you know what the right prefix is on the registration.
But even for the local flights around the block, your registration starts with a C. It is even worse with people just giving the last 3 digits.
Oh, then you really don't want to be around when I abbreviate my calls to ATC as just my last two letters. Which nobody has a problem with 98% of the time.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

This thread is very valuable. I used to think I worried a lot about insignificant details.
Me too, but not anymore.
Now let's discuss whether it should be Cxxxx or C-xxxx.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Or what about CF-xxx vs C-Fxxx on vintage aircraft?

What if you wrote CF-xxx in your logbook and they repaint the plane with C-Fxxx!!!

Alex335
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alex335 »

trey kule wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:28 am Me too, but not anymore.
Now let's discuss whether it should be Cxxxx or C-xxxx.
Definitely Cxxxx lol, I’m already tight on space just using Gxxx, adding a C and - would ruin me.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I’ve never put the “C” in the registration in my logbook in my 15000 hrs of flying and it’s never been an issue. I’ve only flown Canadian registered planes but if you also fly in the UK or France where they use a G or F then I could see doing it.

Let’s Go Brandon
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

up to you. i have an electronic book and i use C-F or C-G. I've flown US planes so those are Nxxx, but I see guys just use 1234AB too. overall it doesn't really matter.

Return to “General Comments”