A shout out to SAR - Thanks for being there! SR-22 CAPS deployment

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

A shout out to SAR - Thanks for being there! SR-22 CAPS deployment

Post by boeingboy »

SAR crews don't get the credit they deserve - Just saw this SR-22 crash from a week ago. Pilot went down in the forests of Quebec after the engine quit. He deployed his CAPS system and documented the rescue.

Awsome job and awesome video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSiTpHNq-IA
---------- ADS -----------

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: A shout out to SAR - Thanks for being there! SR-22 CAPS deployment

Post by FishermanIvan »

How amazing of a sight that Hercules would be when it first rips overhead.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Great story!

Glad he was well prepared and he came out uninjured. Great thinking on filming the rescue for others to see and learn from.

How cool was that to see that low Flying Hercules above the trees?

Great work from the SARs crews.

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

CADORS Number: 2019Q2089
An American, corporately operated Cirrus SR22 (N699RS) from Wabush, NL (CYWK) to Quebec/Jean Lesage, QC (CYQB) declared an emergency and requested to divert to Sept-Îles, QC (CYZV). En route to CYZV, the aircraft made an emergency landing using its parachute: 510072N/0670097W. The emergency locator transmitter (ELT) signal went off. Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) Trenton was notified. Thanks to the help of aircraft in the area, the crash site was located. There was one person on board, who was safe and sound.
Amazing rescue. The sight and sound of the Herc after a crash and hoping to be found has to be one of the best experiences.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Another shout out to SAR! I was called to fly a search for a downed aircraft this evening. I flew to the appointed area, and on my third grid line, found the aircraft. I buzzed the pilot, who ran out an lit his prepared fire. I made sure he knew I was there for him. I climbed up, to radio and text back to my dispatch. In the mean time, I hear SAR on their way on 126.7. I called them up, gave them coordinates, and briefed them on what to expect as they arrived. I climbed up to 3000 feet to give them the airspace beneath me, and watched as they pulled in.

It was super watching them pick their spot, land, and the SAR Techs walk to the downed aircraft - very cool! And I'm sure ultimately reassuring for the fellow on the ground!

Once I was no longer needed, I reported departing, and flew home and landed. Shortly afterward the SAR helicopter flew over my house onward to wherever they needed to be. It is very reassuring knowing that that capability is there for our safety! Thanks SAR! (by the way, nothing to do with the SR-22 accident) of the thread title.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:37 pm Another shout out to SAR! I was called to fly a search for a downed aircraft this evening. I flew to the appointed area, and on my third grid line, found the aircraft. I buzzed the pilot, who ran out an lit his prepared fire. I made sure he knew I was there for him. I climbed up, to radio and text back to my dispatch. In the mean time, I hear SAR on their way on 126.7. I called them up, gave them coordinates, and briefed them on what to expect as they arrived. I climbed up to 3000 feet to give them the airspace beneath me, and watched as they pulled in.

It was super watching them pick their spot, land, and the SAR Techs walk to the downed aircraft - very cool! And I'm sure ultimately reassuring for the fellow on the ground!

Once I was no longer needed, I reported departing, and flew home and landed. Shortly afterward the SAR helicopter flew over my house onward to wherever they needed to be. It is very reassuring knowing that that capability is there for our safety! Thanks SAR! (by the way, nothing to do with the SR-22 accident) of the thread title.
That would be very rewarding to find a downed plane and watch SAR go in.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Via Google translate....

"N699RS a privately operated SR22 aircraft was flying on flight rules
instrument from Wabush Airport, NL to Quebec City / Jean-Lesage Intl, QC
at an altitude of 8000 feet asl when the only pilot on board noted a drop in pressure
of engine oil accompanied by a high oil temperature. The pilot declared an emergency
and asked to be directed to Sept-Îles Airport (CYZV), QC. At about 60 nautical miles
north of CYZV, the engine (TELEDYNE CONTINENTAL MOTOR IO-550) stopped. The pilot
hover the aircraft up to approximately 4000 feet before deploying the aircraft parachute.
The aircraft crashed into the trees about 56 miles north of CYZV and sustained
significant damage. The pilot was not injured. The pilot activated the SOS mode of his
Garmin Inreach Portable GPS. He was rescued about 5 hours after the event by the service
Search and Rescue Service."

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”