Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Cathay Troubles

Post by altiplano »

CEO sacked.

State pressure cranked up on the airline.

Reportedly pilots are being fired for being seen on the wrong side of the issue.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... oOj9WI3siT
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Cathay Troubles

Post by Eric Janson »

Looks like the CEO has resigned..

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49367949

This is going to end with PLA tanks rolling into Hong Kong imho.

A lot of Expats must be frantically working on an exit strategy - doesn't look like much of a future there.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Likely going full commie there soon.

Let’s Go Brandon
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Or the start of a Chinese uprising towards democracy, look at what happened in the Middle East.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

fish4life wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:18 pm Or the start of a Chinese uprising towards democracy, look at what happened in the Middle East.
Democracy. :?

Like in Libya where the ‘western funded moderates’ sodomized Gaddafi with a knife after he threatened to dump the US petrodollar in favour of a pan-African currency based on the Libyan golden Dinar ?
Sure is a democratic paradise now ...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

daedalusx wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:20 pm
fish4life wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:18 pm Or the start of a Chinese uprising towards democracy, look at what happened in the Middle East.
Democracy. :?

Like in Libya where the ‘western funded moderates’ sodomized Gaddafi with a knife after he threatened to dump the US petrodollar in favour of a pan-African currency based on the Libyan golden Dinar ?
Sure is a democratic paradise now ...
Uprising towards democracy, I never said it was successful

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Egypt is another fine example. Interesting isn't it, that while the "moderates" get a lot of attention and Western support it is more often than not the more conservative elements who have the wherewithal to organize themselves and their supporters to get elected - and by conservative elements in Egypt that was specifically the Muslim Brotherhood.

The same can be said of Syria, it's all well and good to be pro-democracy but it doesn't mean a damned thing if you can't galvanize the population at large. Sometimes a real piece of shit dictator is a better leader than a more "respectable" elder statesman, when it comes to keeping the locals in check. Iraq, Egypt, Libya, and more than a few other countries prove the point well.

The question is, what will the reaction be if Xi decides to let the PLA loose in Hong Kong - because it's going to be really difficult to cover that sort of thing up, versus say pretending all is well in the Muslim majority region(s) or that whole Tiananmen Square thing well, you get the drift.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

The Chinese strive to maintain face at all costs. They are truly screwed with HK: if they don't intervene forcefully they will lose face at home. If they pull another Tiananmen Square, they will massively lose face internationally and they know it.

IMO the only reason the tanks haven't rolled yet is that second factor, combined with needing time to get influential mainland sympathizers and financial concerns out.

Interesting times indeed.

Also interesting how so many "Chinese" locales have no interest in being ruled by China: HK, Tibet, Taiwan...maybe Beijing should take a hint.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

OFF TOPIC

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:11 am
IMO the only reason the tanks haven't rolled yet is that second factor, combined with needing time to get influential mainland sympathizers and financial concerns out.

Interesting times indeed.
:shock:

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:11 am The Chinese strive to maintain face at all costs. They are truly screwed with HK: if they don't intervene forcefully they will lose face at home. If they pull another Tiananmen Square, they will massively lose face internationally and they know it.
If they do nothing there will be a spate of uprisings across China - which is not a monoculture but is composed of multiple ethnic groups.

Chinese value human life differently than we do in Western Culture.

For those of you not old enough to remember:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Tian ... e_protests

Some background on the current protests:-

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/it-will-end ... eally-want

Takes real courage to stand up to Beijing knowing what they've done in the past.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

altiplano wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:19 am CEO sacked.

Reportedly pilots are being fired for being seen on the wrong side of the issue.

Ahh, point of order - they were on the right side of the issue! Its the crony capitalist dictators in Beijing who are on the wrong side...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Obviously.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Not from their point of view, NS.

I'm also not so sure our form of "democracy" on these shores is that much different, or superior, than China's.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

North Shore wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:38 pm
altiplano wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:19 am CEO sacked.

Ahh, point of order - they were on the right side of the issue! Its the crony capitalist dictators in Beijing who are on the wrong side...
If you get fired for having an opinion, you were obviously on the wrong side.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:46 am Not from their point of view, NS.

I'm also not so sure our form of "democracy" on these shores is that much different, or superior, than China's.
We don't have to worry about getting run over by Tanks! (At least not yet).

I agree things are less than ideal - but it's still better than the alternatives imho.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

What an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Eric Janson wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:09 am

We don't have to worry about getting run over by Tanks! (At least not yet).

I agree things are less than ideal - but it's still better than the alternatives imho.
We are a lot less democratic than we appear, and I think you're smart enough to know that.

The chances of massive protests in NA, put down hard, has never been greater in recent history.

Anyone who thinks different is just naive.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Bottom line, you can say what you like about your leader, whether it is Trump or Trudeau(in fact you can make millions creating a movie about Bush) and live a decent-life. Just try doing that with the leader of China as a citizen of China and see what happens to you. I'll take what we've got any day of the week. People forget these things.

What did Churchill say about Democracy again?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”