Recession incoming

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

thruster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Recession incoming

Post by thruster »

According to the news, the economy is about to go into a recession. This is bad news for me as I am just starting my flight training, and it is likely that by the time I graduate, there will be a recession (approx 3 years). My question is, how badly will this affect the aviation industry? Will things go back to the way they were in 2008/2009, where pilots needed to work on the ramp for a couple years before being allowed to fly, and ~3000 hours were required for 703 jobs?

For those of you that were in the industry at such a time, what did you do to get your first job?
---------- ADS -----------

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Recession incoming

Post by FICU »

Nothing beats a good road trip to meet with chief pilots and leave your resume and a good impression.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Recession or not, there will always be doritos and coca cola going to the "communities" up north. And there will always be people from those same communities requiring medical services. There will be forest fires requiring some kind of detection plane, farmers who needs their field sprayed, rig pigs going to work, mineral exploration, charters services, etc, etc. Funny thing is all those jobs will generally pay more than the golden Jazz 250hr 705 "dream job" and they're certainly much more fun and they'll bring you life experiences that you might regret never doing once you get on that seniority list.

A determined person will always find work. Also in a recession, PIC time is king, the 4000hr laided off RJ FO will have a much harder time putting food on the table than the 1500hr Kingair Capt.

I really really wouldn't worry about it.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
thruster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thruster »

What can I do to leave a good impression? Does anyone have any recommendations. In addition, I am a visible minority. How much of a hindrance can this pose during road trips, and applying to smaller 703 operations? I am born and raised in Canada so I speak fluent English, however, I have been told by several friends and family that I'll never find a job in aviation due to this. Of course, this isn't at all a reflection of the aviation industry but it does make me concerned sometimes especially when it comes to first impressions.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Your friends and family are assholes for saying that. There are pilots of all appearances at all levels of the industry. If you meet any management be friendly and not arrogant.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

thruster wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:35 pm In addition, I am a visible minority. How much of a hindrance can this pose during road trips, and applying to smaller 703 operations? I am born and raised in Canada so I speak fluent English, however,I have been told by several friends and family that I'll never find a job in aviation due to this.
Laughable. They absolutely have no clue what they're talking about. Want to see real biases ? Trying being a female pilot in the Maldives.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Wtf, what's your minority? Nickelback fan!?

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

There is always somebody saying 'recession looming', some folks saying it all the time. When it comes, they change tune to 'depression coming'. And if they say it often enough, and long enough, eventually they will probably be right once.

thruster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thruster »

DanWEC wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:50 pm Wtf, what's your minority? Nickelback fan!?
Pakistani lol but Nickelback is pretty good ngl

thruster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thruster »

Deadalusx, thanks for your response! I will definitely keep that mind, and I didn't know that PIC time was that important. My dream job is to fly for Kenn Borek and I am not interested in the airline route until much later life so hopefully if the 703 world will be okay I hope that I'll be able to find a job

thruster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thruster »

lownslow wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:41 pm Your friends and family are assholes for saying that. There are pilots of all appearances at all levels of the industry. If you meet any management be friendly and not arrogant.
Thank you I will keep that in mind

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The thing about any upcoming recession is it is likely coinciding with the retirement wave. Unless of course, that the recession is still 5+ years away and misses the retirement wave.

Depending on how bad the recession/depression (collapse of society) turns out to be, any layoffs at the majors will be offset by retirements. Likely meaning hiring freeze, and limited or no layoffs. That will also put progression at a stand still, no more Jazz PML or WJ flow. The regionals will probably be downsizing, and hopefully no 4000 hr CRJ FOs laid off (maybe just the 1500hr CRJ FOs).

The first job in aviation will return to dock hand/swamper and part time on the Cessna 180. Ramping and hoping for a Navajo/Caravan FO spot after a year. Instructing has always been an option for those who enjoy it.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

thruster wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:10 pm
DanWEC wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:50 pm Wtf, what's your minority? Nickelback fan!?
Pakistani lol but Nickelback is pretty good ngl
Don’t admit the nickelback fan part and you’ll be fine

thruster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thruster »

Don’t admit the nickelback fan part and you’ll be fine
[/quote]

Hahaha, ill keep that in mind. Just out of curiosity though, Why does everyone hate nickelback so much?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Live well below your means and you'll be fine, whatever happens.

On the minority issue, in Canada, it's not, I feel, unless you choose to make it one.

Everyone of us have had advantages and disadvantages to overcome. Some are a heck of a lot tougher than being a visible minority in Canada circa 2019.

I'd suggest starting with being thankful at all you have the opportunity to complete your flight training.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

When I was up north I didn't see any visible minorities slinging cases of Pepsi with me but when I got to AC half my class was a minority so they must have got their start somewhere. You'll be fine.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

The one thing I will add is if you have the money to get done faster, do it! I managed zero to Multi IFR in about 18 months and I am no super bright superstar. The quicker you get the CPL the quicker you can get a job.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
thruster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thruster »

200hr Wonder wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:37 pm The one thing I will add is if you have the money to get done faster, do it! I managed zero to Multi IFR in about 18 months and I am no super bright superstar. The quicker you get the CPL the quicker you can get a job.
Hello, Ill be attending Sault College due to the fact it is subsidized. Unfortunately private training is well beyond my budget however that seems like the smartest way to do it given the current industry movement

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

How much does it cost to go from zero to CPL multi IFR?

thruster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thruster »

C.W.E. wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:58 pm How much does it cost to go from zero to CPL multi IFR?
Around $60,000 CAD

Return to “General Comments”