CBC article

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

CBC article

Post by PilotDAR »

This article:
seems to touch on a few valid points, while mashing up the topic with scattered facts. I guess that Jock Williams guy was feeling lonely, and needed someone to talk to, 'shame the CBC had to publish so much of what he said. I don't know what kind of "expert" he is, but he's not really helping our industry.

Yes, the CBC is right, we've had an unusual bunch of accidents close together this summer, we pilots should be thinking more about how we are not going to be in an accident during our flying. But having the rest of society think that our flying is
a ridiculously risky activity

and
Many recreational pilots are only able to fly once or twice a year, according to Williams.
serves us very poorly.

For the CBC to publish this non objective article is unfortunate, and adding insult to injury. But in the end, it's up to us to prevent accidents, and make the statistics much better, and no longer news worthy.
---------- ADS -----------

Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: CBC article

Post by Foregone »

"We're engaging in a ridiculously risky activity, but we're moderating the risks by studying and by practising and by refresher training," ....

The overall feel later in the article seems to convey the inherent safety that exists in aviation, but I disagree with his statement used as an opener as well as a closer, especially in relating the aspects of our field to the general public. There are many more activities that more qualify as "ridiculously risky" in my opinion. But I agree with you, it is up to us to continue to make safe decisions and therefore operate safely

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Not much to disagree with here...?

The crashes leave some people with a bad impression of civil light plane aviation, said Williams, but he doesn't believe that should be the case.

"In reality, it's a pretty safe way to spend your time as long as you watch very carefully the few very basic rules that exist in aviation."

Williams, among others, understands that all recreational pilots need to make sure they are physically fit to fly, practise flying with an instructor and avoid flying into bad weather.

"We're engaging in a ridiculously risky activity, but we're moderating the risks by studying and by practising and by refresher training," he said.

FWIW, I don't believe Jock "needs someone to talk to"; the media reaches out to him. Credentials? Let's just say that he's flown aircraft that have "Go slow" lights installed (IGV Overheat) to a Tiger Moth and stuff in between.

He is frequently approached my the media for his take on aviation events and expresses himself well...

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Aren't cars more dangerous than general aviation?

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

I tell my wife (she hates it when I say this) that I narrowly avoid death every time I go flying. I always add in my next breath that she narrowly avoids death every time she drives the car. She doesn't like thinking about it, but it's true.

Also, the two things we remember most when we read, or are taught, are the first and the last. To start and finish with that statement is an attention grabber unfortunately used by these journalists...

Lastly, I'm pretty sure it was a Scout used to tow gliders that was in the glider accident. Could be mistaken, though.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

This guy is no stranger to hyperbole. A couple of summers ago he was on CBC radio following one of those cases, somewhere in the world, where a pilot shows up drunk. Jock claimed that between 3 and 5% of airline pilots go to work inebriated. What bunk.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I know Jock personally and have spent a fair bit of time with him.

I find him to be one of the better ones that worked for the government and very knowledgeable about flying.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:02 pm Aren't cars more dangerous than general aviation?
I'm sure someone will chime in with the exact numbers, but it is airline flying that is safer than driving your car. Small planes are statistically more dangerous than driving your car.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

I rode one of my motorcycles to the gas station yesterday and was almost hit twice by inept drivers. The gas station is three blocks from my house, by the way.

I would have felt considerably safer in an airplane.

Will fix airplanes for food.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

On a per mile basis, small planes are 7 times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident. Cars are 7 times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident than airliners. Conveniently this makes for easy math. This was before the Max though, I haven't seen newer figures.

Return to “General Comments”