Top Paid AMEs

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Top Paid AMEs

Post by boeingboy »

Looks like the Sunwing boys just got a raise!...

http://www.iamaw.ca/iam-sunwing-deal-a-gem/
---------- ADS -----------

ziedarmy2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ziedarmy2 »

Any informations about voyageur aerotech or airways

girljettech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by girljettech »

I'm interested in this as well. I'm doing a study to see what AMEs are getting across Canada.
With the AME shortage only becoming worse, I imagine everyone will be upping their wages as well as bonuses (signing bonus, year end bonus, etc.)

So, this is the list so far...

Reliance Aerotech Services $55.00
WestJet $45.00
Air Georgian $44.91
Air Canada $42.05
Permiter $41.91
Air Transat $41.77
Air Inuit $39.39
KF Aero $38.64
Jazz $38.19
Skyservice $35.00

Anyone know anything for:
Viking
Avmax
JD Aero
Cascade Aerospace
Voyageur Aerotech

rwm1273
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rwm1273 »

Many companies are now hiring contractors to make up the difference in staffing. I've been contracting for about 15yrs. Last year I billed out over $250,000 between 3 companies.

This year so far I've billed out $175,000.

Now despite billing out this amount, it does not exactly equate to my actual salary. But because of the advantages of writing off many things such as mileage, tools, accommodation, food, clothing, health care expenses, etc, it does make an awful lot of sense to contract.

But I do work away from home, and yes I work many long days, and often in unpleasant locations. However, I could easily still bring in over $100,000 working regular hours close to home if that was the type of work I wanted to do.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Sunwing…..$46.00 now

girljettech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by girljettech »

rwm1273 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:37 pm Many companies are now hiring contractors to make up the difference in staffing. I've been contracting for about 15yrs. Last year I billed out over $250,000 between 3 companies.

Now despite billing out this amount, it does not exactly equate to my actual salary. But because of the advantages of writing off many things such as mileage, tools, accommodation, food, clothing, health care expenses, etc, it does make an awful lot of sense to contract.

But I do work away from home, and yes I work many long days, and often in unpleasant locations. However, I could easily still bring in over $100,000 working regular hours close to home if that was the type of work I wanted to do.
What is your hourly contracting rate?
What companies have accepted that as a contracting rate?
What extras do you get on top of your contracting rate? (per diem and lodging)?

Thanks for the info!

Dustier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dustier »

Cargojet $46

rwm1273
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rwm1273 »

girljettech wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:15 am

What is your hourly contracting rate?
What companies have accepted that as a contracting rate?
What extras do you get on top of your contracting rate? (per diem and lodging)?

Thanks for the info!
My minimum hourly rate is $50hr but usually more around the $55-60 range. I also do daily rates depending on the location and work. Anywhere from $500 day to $1000day.

My per diem is usually $100day unless the client provides food then I still charge a $50 per diem.

I also do fixed cost projects such as an annual inspection.

All lodging and transportation I bill directly back to the client unless we have alternate arrangements. Some clients put you up in their accommodations such as crew house or company hotels. Many also provide me with a company car or sometimes they have a crew bus depending on the project.

I have contracted to a number of companies in Canada as well as overseas. I have a long term contract that I am the DOM/PRM for a company that does seasonal work. I also have a long term contract with another customer that I have been working for 10 yrs. A few other clients have me do engine changes and they usually schedule it around my timeframe. Some of the consulting work I do is fixed price and mainly done all online. Pre-purchase inspections I usually charge a fixed price.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Wow rwm1273 you must be a superhero. According to your numbers you work +/- 5,000 hours a year. There are 8760 hours in one year. Bravo.If you sleep 8 hours a day that is 2,920 hours a year. Which leaves you 2.3 hrs a day to eat and whatever else you do with your life. Awesome.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Yeah, math wasn't adding up for me either, unless he/she is doing nothing but working. The rates are nothing extraordinary so the quarter mil+ annual incomes reek of bullshit.

Trying to impress, lol, Whoever heard of a hero in aircraft maintenance... :lol:

TMagnus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TMagnus »

Maybe the math doesn't work because you don't understand the difference between billed and earned. You obviously don't own a company and do contract work.
There are lots of opportunities around the world for Canadian AME's to make a substantial amount of money while living in nice places. Typically type rated engineers are paid 10K USD+ per month in Dubai, Singapore, or Hong Kong. If you have an A&P and/or an EASA license you can earn more.
Or you can just be happy with your $46/hr at AC or Westjet.

rwm1273 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:37 pm Many companies are now hiring contractors to make up the difference in staffing. I've been contracting for about 15yrs. Last year I billed out over $250,000 between 3 companies.

trumpfan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trumpfan »

TMagnus wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 am Maybe the math doesn't work because you don't understand the difference between billed and earned. You obviously don't own a company and do contract work.
There are lots of opportunities around the world for Canadian AME's to make a substantial amount of money while living in nice places. Typically type rated engineers are paid 10K USD+ per month in Dubai, Singapore, or Hong Kong. If you have an A&P and/or an EASA license you can earn more.
Or you can just be happy with your $46/hr at AC or Westjet.

Billable amount includes all your expenses as well, how much you pocket depends on your overhead. I assume you’re an independent and you don’t work for a contract agency. Do you carry your own ins? Pay your own WCB, travel, accommodations etc.

I contracted for many years off and on in good places and not so good ones, it’s about the bullshit to money ratio. AC and WJ pay well if you factor in being able to walk away at the end of your shift and enjoy your days off, you deal with the odd shit-pump human, but they’re everywhere these days. You can also branch out into planning, reliability, MCC, QA or management etc if that’s your thing, beats changing a actuator at 3AM in February.

If you like to travel, don’t have a family or lots of variety is what you seek, contracting is the route to go. Just be aware you’re more disposable than the avg employee.

Everyone fits in a different spot in that sliding scale of BS:Cash

rwm1273
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rwm1273 »

trumpfan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:09 pm
TMagnus wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 am Maybe the math doesn't work because you don't understand the difference between billed and earned. You obviously don't own a company and do contract work.
I would say some here really don't understand the math. If they read my post they would understand that each contract is different and I get paid what we negotiate. My one contract pays me $60K a year for about 3 days month work, and I don't even have to be there for it because most of the work is electronic.

Yes I am an independent, I carry my own insurance, and no I don't work for any agency however a few often call me and I give them a name or two once in a while when they are looking for a specific type of worker, and I have on occasion done some work via them but on my own negotiated rate.

As for nice places, yes I've lived and worked in a few. I lived in Abu Dhabi for 5 years. But I've also worked in Afghanistan for 5. I've made more money in a weekend than most make in a month on some contracts.

My kids are grown, and I occasionally take my wife on contract with me. I am currently in Mexico on a contract and my wife is here with me.

rwm1273
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rwm1273 »

Pat Richard wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:53 pm Yeah, math wasn't adding up for me either, unless he/she is doing nothing but working. The rates are nothing extraordinary so the quarter mil+ annual incomes reek of bullshit.

Trying to impress, lol, Whoever heard of a hero in aircraft maintenance... :lol:
Yup, only to someone like you who can't read, and clearly does not understand math and business.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

You are a fool and you are trying to bs the wrong person. Nuff said hero. Have at it.

jhwaviation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jhwaviation »

I can see that. The highest I ever negotiated was $9,000 USD/mth for a year for one company. I have been an independent contractor for a few years now.
What company do you use for AME insurance? If you don't mind. PM me if you could, I'd like to ask you some questions.

johnkruk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by johnkruk »

Anyone know what Keewatin AME payscale is like ?

rwm1273
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rwm1273 »

jhwaviation wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:52 pm

What company do you use for AME insurance?
I use a broker for my insurance. Shop around, there are options. My current insurance is from a company in South Africa. ARC.

Glasnost
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Glasnost »

Unless you’re running a contracting company that’s paying other contractors out of that sum of money after you bill the company, Im calling BS on a contractor making a quarter mill a year.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

girljettech wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 pm I'm interested in this as well. I'm doing a study to see what AMEs are getting across Canada.
With the AME shortage only becoming worse, I imagine everyone will be upping their wages as well as bonuses (signing bonus, year end bonus, etc.)

So, this is the list so far...

Reliance Aerotech Services $55.00
WestJet $45.00
Air Georgian $44.91
Air Canada $42.05
Permiter $41.91
Air Transat $41.77
Air Inuit $39.39
KF Aero $38.64
Jazz $38.19
Skyservice $35.00

Anyone know anything for:
Viking
Avmax
JD Aero
Cascade Aerospace
Voyageur Aerotech
There never was an AME shortage lol I love this statement.... there’s a shortage of AME’s willing to work for dogsh*t rates!

Return to “Maintenance”