WestJet Encore Pilot Open House Calgary September 4th

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WestJet Recruiter
Rank 1
Rank 1

WestJet Encore Pilot Open House Calgary September 4th

Post by WestJet Recruiter »

Pilots! We invite you to attend our Encore Open House in YYC on September 4. You will have the opportunity to meet with the our leadership team and pilots to ask your questions and learn more!

Click here to register before August 30, as space is limited!
https://lnkd.in/gBEVhXE

Recruitment-Encore Open House One pager2.jpg
Recruitment-Encore Open House One pager2.jpg (162.47 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by WestJet Recruiter on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: WestJet Encore Pilot Open House Calgary September 4th

Post by C-GGGQ »

So wait... Are you guys seriously taking 250 hr pilots now? Or just an "early connections" type deal where you get their info and come back at 1000 hrs?

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

:rolleyes: :roll: :lol:

77W
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 77W »

250 hrs and going into YYZ/YVR/YYC?! Goodness I feel bad for those line indoc captains :lol: :lol: :lol:

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

From my understanding this is more of a let's connect at 250 hours and we'll hire you at 1000

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

It seems Encore is sticking to their 1000hr ( 150 PIC / 250 high performance ) minimum to have a job offer whatever posting you are applying to.

Encore FO posting
1000 hours total time (fixed-wing preferred)
150 hours fixed-wing pilot-in-command time (multi-engine or high performance single engine turbine PIC preferred)
250 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time is preferred (high performance single engine multi-crew turbine can be included towards your multi-engine experience, i.e. PC-12)
250 hours multi-crew experience is preferred
Encore Flighpath program
150 hours fixed-wing pilot-in-command time (multi-engine or high performance single engine turbine PIC preferred)
250 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time preferred (high performance single engine multi-crew turbine can be included towards your multi-engine experience – for example, PC-12)
Encore School partnership
250 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time preferred (high performance single engine multi-crew turbine can be included towards your multi-engine experience – for example, PC-12)
Valid Transport Canada Group 1 instrument rating

FlyAlberta
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyAlberta »

I laugh at how some of you are shocked at the notion of a 250hr FO being a possibility at Encore. The writing has been on the wall the past few years. With the way the industry and pilot supply is going, it’s guaranteed to happen at some point (if it hasn’t all ready). Jazz has been doing it successfully and safely with 250hr guys for years and then upgrading them to RJ captains with less than 2000 hours. It is what it is get over it.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
77W
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 77W »

FlyAlberta wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:18 am I laugh at how some of you are shocked at the notion of a 250hr FO being a possibility at Encore. The writing has been on the wall the past few years. With the way the industry and pilot supply is going, it’s guaranteed to happen at some point (if it hasn’t all ready). Jazz has been doing it successfully and safely with 250hr guys for years and then upgrading them to RJ captains with less than 2000 hours. It is what it is get over it.
I’m not shocked, I just feel bad for the babysitters who get paired with these people. Doing so bad that they don’t even realize how bad things are going. Just when the poor captain thought they had left that behind in the northern days.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

FlyAlberta wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:18 am I laugh at how some of you are shocked at the notion of a 250hr FO being a possibility at Encore. The writing has been on the wall the past few years. With the way the industry and pilot supply is going, it’s guaranteed to happen at some point (if it hasn’t all ready). Jazz has been doing it successfully and safely with 250hr guys for years and then upgrading them to RJ captains with less than 2000 hours. It is what it is get over it.
I understand that 250 hrs all over the world gets people in a320's etc. Just not here. I'll also state I believe a 250 hr from a strict training program and proper screening like in Europe is a highly trainable individual and I'm not actually that worried about the hrs themselves. Jazz who does take them but a limited number from a select few special programs/ schools is different than encore sending out a general 250hr casting call. I just honestly didn't figure we'd get here already

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Even if they interview candidates at 250hr that doesn't mean they are going to hire them.
They can ask you to come back in 6-12 months to apply again if they feel you need more experience.

I remember in 2015 you needed 1000hr to apply and 1500hr for the job offer.

They stand by their 1000hr for the job offer and this is a good thing.

In Europe, people get in an A320 with 250hr, and most of them need at least 500hr to be comfortable with the plane and the environment. So Captains are also babysitting. Some FOs are sharp on their SOP but the vast majority need at least 6 to 8 months. That is the way it is.

For now, the only one I know of that are hiring with 250hr are Jazz and Sunwing from specific colleges.
Maybe Westjet didn't design the courses for 250hr pilots yet...

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

...and what about the real dirt?!

What about the "one-list"?

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:56 am Even if they interview candidates at 250hr that doesn't mean they are going to hire them.
They can ask you to come back in 6-12 months to apply again if they feel you need more experience.

I remember in 2015 you needed 1000hr to apply and 1500hr for the job offer.

They stand by their 1000hr for the job offer and this is a good thing.

In Europe, people get in an A320 with 250hr, and most of them need at least 500hr to be comfortable with the plane and the environment. So Captains are also babysitting. Some FOs are sharp on their SOP but the vast majority need at least 6 to 8 months. That is the way it is.

For now, the only one I know of that are hiring with 250hr are Jazz and Sunwing from specific colleges.
Maybe Westjet didn't design the courses for 250hr pilots yet...

+1

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:48 pm
I understand that 250 hrs all over the world gets people in a320's etc. Just not here. I'll also state I believe a 250 hr from a strict training program and proper screening like in Europe is a highly trainable individual and I'm not actually that worried about the hrs themselves. Jazz who does take them but a limited number from a select few special programs/ schools is different than encore sending out a general 250hr casting call. I just honestly didn't figure we'd get here already

I 100% agree with you. We are plagued by the "older" people in the industry who think that someone with a good knowledge of the SOPs and can work in a multi-crew environment can't land a Q400.

As of right now, I don't think Encore will hire at 250hrs... I think it is more of a networking event.

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

In our class there were many 1000hr instructors came to fly a 705 machine, and they had no problem pass PPC and pass their line indoc. I knew a FO went to Sunwing flown a 737 out of school 250hr and she did just fine. Maybe it will take more time to get used to it, but many countries are doing it years ago. Many Asian airline company take 250hr people to fly a Airbus or Boeing. They do fire a lot of people during training and yes it will take more time to train but it's doable

I went up north and did my time in a shitty operator but i'm happy to see people nowadays can join airliner without going up north, i'm not bitter, if i had that chance i would have taken it too

Return to “WestJet Encore”