BA Strike, Canada pay attention

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

BA Strike, Canada pay attention

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

The situation at BA sounds a lot like what's happening here. There is no shortage of wage complaints on this forum. It seems like the BA pilots are doing something about it!

Bloomberg
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... lot-strike
---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: BA Strike, Canada pay attention

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

This would never happen in Canuckistan. Pilots will never stick together, and even if they did, the government would step in.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

We will never be allowed to strike here. Peoples weekend getaways and all-inclusives to Pukeacana are an essential service.

Let’s Go Brandon
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Correct. The Canadian govt would label it an essential service and force arbitration ...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

This isn’t a “would” situation. This already happened. FOS. No grey area here.

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

You’d think with all the Union dues paid, the union Lawyers would be able to mount a Constitutional challenge to being denied the right to take labour action.

Even the time it takes to legislate the union back to work will achieve, at least, part of the aim. And what happens if the union doesn’t go back to work after being told to do so? Are they going to arrest all the people picketing? I imagine that would be politically difficult.

But at the end of it public opinion will dictate the outcome and I can’t imagine the traveling public will side with the pilots that “ruined their vacation”...

Wait, why are union dues so high? Isn’t that money to cover strike pay?

I don’t get it...

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Freeport_Flyer wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:00 pm
if the union doesn’t go back to work after being told to do so? Are they going to arrest all the people picketing?
They'll sue the pilots, garnishee wages,take their assets, houses, etc....go for it!

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Maybe we're all just to cynical about the past. Call up our union leaders and make our thoughts clear.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a313
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by a313 »

Last edited by a313 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

BA just took away the pilot's employee flight benefits for the next 3 years. That would seriously suck if you are a commuter. If they want them back they'll have to negotiate it along with their salary demands.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:57 am If they want them back they'll have to negotiate it along with their salary demands.
I don't think that the airlines in Canada would be able to get away with it. If I recall correctly, removing someone's benefits is akin to reducing their pay, which is considered to be constructive dismissal.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:35 am
Daniel Cooper wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:57 am If they want them back they'll have to negotiate it along with their salary demands.
I don't think that the airlines in Canada would be able to get away with it. If I recall correctly, removing someone's benefits is akin to reducing their pay, which is considered to be constructive dismissal.
Once both sides are in a position of job action in Canada anything can be given / taken away. One example would be a company not paying for sick time when they previously did as that would be job action which can range from something mundane like that to a full lock out.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:57 am BA just took away the pilot's employee flight benefits for the next 3 years. That would seriously suck if you are a commuter. If they want them back they'll have to negotiate it along with their salary demands.
I'm not sure what the commuter ratio is for BA (I suspect it's large) but for the two majors in Canada it's roughly 40% of line pilots. So with anywhere from a full third to nearly half of your pilots using flight benefits to report to work, it's no longer a perk but an essential component of the operation. Hopefully BALPA calls their bluff for what it is and doesn't expend any capital trying to get it back. BA is just looking for leverage where they can.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Nah we don't learn. ACPA voted to allow unlimited narrowbody growth at B-scale wages during last reopener when the company is making record profits.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

How can it be surprising...it seems ACPA's agenda is to protect the Old Boy's Club at the top.

I wonder how many times, "Don't worry guys, it won't affect you", has been said to the top 5%?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Air Canada pilots should seek BALPA representation. :smt040

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:35 am
Travel privilege is not enshrined in the CBA. It is a privilege, not a contractually negotiated right. The company can, and has, changed the terms of their travel policy at a whim. I fully expect that this is just the company trying to pressure the group they are negotiating with and the three year ban will be lifted as soon as an agreement is reached. The real question is; how will this affect their pilots' enthusiasm to "help out" going forward. Will it be long term or will it be forgotten within 6 months like ACPA's collective anger after FOS.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

The Thomas Cook pilots weren't happy with their wages either. Now the company is dead so they won't have to worry about a raise anymore.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

tsgas wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:54 am The Thomas Cook pilots weren't happy with their wages either. Now the company is dead so they won't have to worry about a raise anymore.
I really hope you aren't implying that pilots salary will make or break an airline.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”