August Equip Bid

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: August Equip Bid

Post by Babar350 »

Does it mean Jazz is well-staffed? Especially with GGN pilots joining.
If no bidding, hiring will slow or is Jazz short-staffed on the FO side?
---------- ADS -----------

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Babar350 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:31 am Does it mean Jazz is well-staffed? Especially with GGN pilots joining.
If no bidding, hiring will slow or is Jazz short-staffed on the FO side?
Even though there is no equipment bid, there are a lot of vacancies to be filled. It was stated in the communication we received and we can see that the staffing level is low, even if folks weren't leaving for AC.

There is need to fill many vacancies on both the FO and CA rosters and it is my personal opinion that GGN intake will not be sufficient to cover all vacancies. It is also my personal guess that an agreement to phase the transition of GGN pilot will be put in place (if not already) which should leave a few non-GGN positions in the upcoming ground schools.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Lots of GGN pilots that were awarded positions in the January bid no longer work for GGN. Hence, they have no transfer rights to Jazz and these positions will have to be filled. Apparently using backfill vs a systemwide Position Bid.

My guess is that neither Jazz nor ALPA have a clue who still works at GGN from January and therefore would have no idea how to include them again in a system bid. Pilots hired at GGN after January 2019 have no bidding rights at Jazz.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

rudder wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:14 am Lots of GGN pilots that were awarded positions in the January bid no longer work for GGN. Hence, they have no transfer rights to Jazz and these positions will have to be filled. Apparently using backfill vs a systemwide Position Bid.

My guess is that neither Jazz nor ALPA have a clue who still works at GGN from January and therefore would have no idea how to include them again in a system bid. Pilots hired at GGN after January 2019 have no bidding rights at Jazz.
I personally don't think AC, Jazz, ALPA or GGN really have a clue whats going at the moment and are just trying to hold it together for the fall/winter flying. AC & Transat purchase is likely taking up a lot of AC time and AC vs GGN law suit is likely dividing attention. This bid doesn't surprise me as the 737MAX issues hasn't been fixed and even with the 800+ vacancies AC has its not going to rock the boat at the moment and just continue on the path its currently on. I honestly think they're kicking the can down the road to get the GGN transfer done, AC + Transat done and hopefully 737 Max back in line by the Jan 2020 bid. AC is juggling a lot of balls at the moment so a status quo bid is actually not the worst thing that can happen.

I personally expect to see 50+ CA Vacancies system wide in this backfill. (personal guess)

Will see in Jan where all the balls fall into place, until then I expect hiring dept to be busy....3 GS in Oct, 2 in Nov and no word on Dec yet, but I'd expect at least 1. Once we see the make up of the first 2-3 Oct GS's we will have an idea of they are 100% GGN or a blend.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

KenoraPilot wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:24 am
.... and AC vs GGN law suit is likely dividing attention.
Any source to this? As far as I know it's just a rumour going around and no one in the know I've talked to knows about a lawsuit.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

How many yyc skipper spots you think will be available? Would be nice to get a heads up in advance from the company.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

iflyroads wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:04 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:24 am
.... and AC vs GGN law suit is likely dividing attention.
Any source to this? As far as I know it's just a rumour going around and no one in the know I've talked to knows about a lawsuit.

Just rumour as well but a fun one :p

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Malfunction wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:47 pm How many yyc skipper spots you think will be available? Would be nice to get a heads up in advance from the company.
I don't know but I doubt a ton. Likely you'll see lots in YYZ and YVR. YYC has been trending towards baseline since Jan 2019 bid. Not sure if they will bump those numbers back up again because of attrition or not. YYC is slowly shrinking so no clue if YYC will see many new CA spots.

I'd love to see the positions they are "backfilling" but I doubt it and likely you'll just see an award when its done. So hopefully everyone has their ESB updated!

Chips&Pops
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chips&Pops »

So I guess even the backfilling is delayed... the boys forever waiting :rolleyes:

Just giver bud
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Chips&Pops wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:30 pm So I guess even the backfilling is delayed... the boys forever waiting :rolleyes:
Nothing published yet.....so ya maybe next week? lol

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

When AC hires a large number of pilots from Jazz when are the vacant positions posted? I know there is lots of communication between both airlines with respect to just how many pilots should flow and when. Only a small number of Jazz pilots were hired at AC over the summer, where as the first (very large) class in September was primarily Jazz.

After reading the biographies I have to wonder if the Training Department has a complete turnover every 6 months.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

TheStig wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:52 am When AC hires a large number of pilots from Jazz when are the vacant positions posted? I know there is lots of communication between both airlines with respect to just how many pilots should flow and when. Only a small number of Jazz pilots were hired at AC over the summer, where as the first (very large) class in September was primarily Jazz.

After reading the biographies I have to wonder if the Training Department has a complete turnover every 6 months.
They don't really post them unless in a bid. I guess you could cross check the seniority list against the proposed numbers

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

TheStig wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:52 am When AC hires a large number of pilots from Jazz when are the vacant positions posted? I know there is lots of communication between both airlines with respect to just how many pilots should flow and when. Only a small number of Jazz pilots were hired at AC over the summer, where as the first (very large) class in September was primarily Jazz.

It’s really only the bottom of the training pilots list that turns over, the rest are career Jazz pilots, on my type only the bottom 5 right now are likely to go, above that not going for sure

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Okay so how Jazz will provide AC with the 60% for the next year?

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

Babar350 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:09 am Okay so how Jazz will provide AC with the 60% for the next year?
Barring no changes to the CPA with AC or addition of new business (Transborder CPA), Jazz will be getting smaller and smaller...

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The biggest barrier to Jazz providing 60% going forward (for example 0.6 x 600 = 360) for 2020 is the lack of qualified candidates (ATPL plus 2000 hours).

The big winners will be the recent Jazz hires who meet these minimum qualifications and could leapfrog those that do not.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

p.s. there is a Jazz PML flow-through pilot holding left seat on the last AC equipment bid (interim). 26 years old.

Congrats.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

rudder wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:38 pm The biggest barrier to Jazz providing 60% going forward (for example 0.6 x 600 = 360) for 2020 is the lack of qualified candidates (ATPL plus 2000 hours).

The big winners will be the recent Jazz hires who meet these minimum qualifications and could leapfrog those that do not.
So is it not a 2 year minimum now and it's just whenever they can take you?

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Backfill is out around 56 cpt stop awarded

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8